To Kilt or not to Kilt? That is the Dress Code Question.

I think that just about every cruise I have been on at least one man wears a kilt on formal night in the MDR. I also have seen military uniforms on formal night and on one occasion saw an African costume. To all I say good for you and hope to continue seeing formal dress from the various countries of the world. If you have it then wear it.

I saw one man wearing a kilt on the Coral last week during formal night-he looked immaculate and it made me smile. Classy and elegant. I am sure I wasn't alone in appreciating it.

Wear it!

Norris (Scots/Irish)

i always take my kilt and wear it on formal nights , i also take a few ghillie shirts and wear it in the evenings on casual and informal nights...

IF YOU HAVE GOT IT FLAUNT IT .

SCOTLAND FOREVER .

Can't agree more. When we were on Sea Princess thro Panama it felt that ther were a lot of couples from Scotland. The Captmain gave us spvial mention.

It was probably how we were boosting the ship profits.

Gordon

My sil is Scottish the wedding party was all in kilts it was beautiful.

If you are ever sailing with Captain Andy Proctor ask if he is going to wear his kilt during the cruise?

If it is good enough for the Captain then by all means you should wear yours! My stipulation is leave the undies in the cabin!

Who am I to answer someone from the motherland but, here goes. My husband does not have a vest as he bought the full dress kilt for summer weddings and it's stinking hot and humid here. He brings his Prince Charlie jacket, and just a white shirt with either a black or matching tartan tie. He has a fake rubber sgian dubh he brings along which looks real enough to raise diners' eyebrows a notch or two. We'd bought it for a grandson when he was a wee kilted ring bearer.

And to further disqualify my response, we've never sailed on Princess.

So rely on a real Scot with numerous Princess sailings to offer REAL advice.

Ruth

his jacket is a green tweed jacket not a prince charlie which is the dressier type we are flying ryanair to rome and they are strict re weights etc and he feels that his kilt is dressy enough with a shirt and tie. It used to be my grandad's and we recently took it back to the shop that made it - its probably about 40 odd yrs old. They altered it to fit and it looks fantastic! We are going to a wedding today and hes wearing it mind you all the family will be wearing their kilts. And YES everything under the kilt is in excellent working order and he always is a true Scot!!!

Hi Suzzikettles

I would still wear the jacket, I have a blue one and have worn it on formal night, in fact a number of folk asked where they could get a blue jacket.

However you could hire a black tux jacket on board.

yours Shogun

Hi Suzzikettles

I would still wear the jacket, I have a blue one and have worn it on formal night, in fact a number of folk asked where they could get a blue jacket.

However you could hire a black tux jacket on board.

yours Shogun

An American style black tux jacket would not have the proper cut for wear with the kilt. It's much too long, and not shaped properly. (I had one modified for the kilt and it was a major job to do.) He would be better off with the argyle jacket and a bow tie.

Archived