Quizzing Experienced Snorkelers...

Luvsnorkeling

Hey 44Days were those videos of dives or snorkeling? I'm easily confused when you guys talk 1,000 foot drop off . . . what do you mean? Do you mean that you dived for 1,000 feet and took those shots? Or are you simply indicating that the ocean dropped 1,000 feet, where you were SNORKELING and was able to capture the shots? Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Hey 44Days were those videos of dives or snorkeling? I'm easily confused when you guys talk 1,000 foot drop off . . . what do you mean? Do you mean that you dived for 1,000 feet and took those shots? Or are you simply indicating that the ocean dropped 1,000 feet, where you were SNORKELING and was able to capture the shots? Thanks for clearing this up for me.

44days was snorkeling (as previously stated in an earlier post). You snorkel out to the drop off...which is where the shallow snorkeling ends and the bottom just drops straight down to where you can't see the end (very very deep). Think of Nemo...you get to the end and it just drops. :)

So...we are headed back to Roatan and have decided to do a Discover Scuba here on West Bay. After contacting a lot of dive shops, I believe we have picked one.

They state we will dive Mandy's Eel Garden. From what I can tell, this starts in front of Infinity, head in the kidney, then out to the open area running along the beach and then out along the outer wall then circle back around.

This is the only picture I could find that gives a "map" of it.

mandys-eel-garden-L.jpg

Has anyone done this?

Why do they call it the eel garden? Are there a lot of eels there? :D

Mitsu....I see you still love snorkeling as we do. We will be back to West Bay next month aboard Reflection. This will be our 6th trip to Roatan, but it has been about 5 years since our last, so it will be interesting to see how this beautiful reef has done with the huge increases in cruise ships arriving there. Loved your map (with the "Kidney" as the start/end point) and will try to follow as best I can (I'll try to hold off on consumption of MonkeyLalas;p until after).

• 1 year later...
On 10/14/2017 at 11:57 AM, seeyakids said:

Not sure if this was covered earlier, but did everyone just get a taxi from port out to West Bay Beach? Is Mandy's Eel Garden at a public beach or part of a hotel? 🙂 Looking forward to snorkeling! 

On 10/14/2017 at 11:57 AM, seeyakids said:

Mitsu....I see you still love snorkeling as we do. We will be back to West Bay next month aboard Reflection. This will be our 6th trip to Roatan, but it has been about 5 years since our last, so it will be interesting to see how this beautiful reef has done with the huge increases in cruise ships arriving there. Loved your map (with the "Kidney" as the start/end point) and will try to follow as best I can (I'll try to hold off on consumption of MonkeyLalas;p until after).