ID question

carhopsrock

I know its probably stupid of me to worry about this. My son is in the Army and is sailing with me on Sept 10th. He does not drive and has never had a drivers license. Should his miltary ID be ok as his form of ID? I am getting paranoid reading all of the posts about BC etc.

I know its probably stupid of me to worry about this. My son is in the Army and is sailing with me on Sept 10th. He does not drive and has never had a drivers license. Should his miltary ID be ok as his form of ID? I am getting paranoid reading all of the posts about BC etc.

If he is in the military I would hope he has a passport:confused:

If your son does not have a passport, in addition to his military ID he would need his birth certificate. Here's what CCL's web site says about ID:

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

• Valid U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • Enhanced Tribal Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

Note: Enhanced Driver's Licenses can be used as proof of citizenship at land and sea ports of entry. However, it cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

There are currently four U.S. states and four Canadian provinces producing EDLs:

Michigan

New York

Vermont

Washington

British Columbia

Manitoba

Ontario

Quebec

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over.

All passengers will need EITHER 1) a valid passport OR 2) a certified copy of birth certificate AND a government issued photo ID.

So he can use his military ID but he will also need a certified copy of his birth certificate. If he has a passport it's best just to use that.

Call the cruiseline. I suspect the military ID will suffice as the "picture ID" if it has his picture on it. However, he will still need a birth certificate to go with it. Maybe make more sense to expedite a passport.

Even if he doesnt drive he can get a ID from the state. I dont know if military would be accept with his Birth Certificate or not.

Its birth certificate and the ID, not either/or.

He did tell me that you cant get any more "government" than a military ID but I just wanted to be sure. Went to the Health Dept and got a brand new copy of his BC just to be sure it was the right kind. If he likes cruising we will get his passport ASAP. Thanks for replies.

He did tell me that you cant get any more "government" than a military ID but I just wanted to be sure. Went to the Health Dept and got a brand new copy of his BC just to be sure it was the right kind. If he likes cruising we will get his passport ASAP. Thanks for replies.

Hope you all have a great cruise. He'll be fine with his BC and military ID.

He should get one being in the military as well. If he ever gets deployed overseas it would make it easier to get back in a emergency

And I know the military will help get him home

Primary Identification (One of the following):

Previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport

Naturalization Certificate

Valid Driver's License

Current Government ID (city, state or federal)

Current Military ID (military and dependents)

Good to know my husband can use his work ID,

If your son does not have a passport, in addition to his military ID he would need his birth certificate. Here's what CCL's web site says about ID:

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

• Valid U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • Enhanced Tribal Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

Thanks for this! I asked a question in another thread about using my Consular Report of Birth Abroad and the conversation took another direction before anyone answered.

I am waiting for a copy of my Consular Report so I can get my passport. I SHOULD have plenty of time to get my passport before my cruise, but this is the government we're talking about LOL

We got on the Paradise a couple years ago with a BC and a Costco card.... ! That's the truth, too! DH couldn't find his DL at the pier.... and we were 600 miles away from home.

I can believe that. The lady who checked in my mom last time didn't even look at her BC. My mom never took it out of her bag.

Yet on the same cruise , I swear another person checking in my brother was trying to memorize his.

We got on the Paradise a couple years ago with a BC and a Costco card.... ! That's the truth, too! DH couldn't find his DL at the pier.... and we were 600 miles away from home.

Must be those people in Long Beach. In 2006 DH was able to get on with his baby book and DL.

Archived