quick question -

brokenglass

I have a friend in Germany (american citizen) was on a work then holiday in Germany... he had an accident and can not fly home for 2-3 weeks - they are looking into the aug 29th TA... being that it is an "emergency" how strict is the dress code?

thinking a 7 day trip in a nice room would be better than flying being very uncomfortable (he broke both elbows and had surgery Monday)

thanks for any help.... my friend is trying to figure out the best route home for her and her husband.

The dress code is quite strickt on Cunard, but a dark suit shirt and tie for men and cocktail dress for ladies will do as a minimum. They will not need to spend a lot on clothes, but if they don't have them with them they will have to buy a cheap one. There is a good rang of shops in Southampton from ASDA (part of wal-mart) to John Lewis at the higher end.

One could always order evening meals from room service rather than in Britannia but even if you go to the Kings Court buffet men are expected to be wearing a jacket.

Of course I'd have no idea how to put on a jacket with two broken elbows but I guess he's already dealt with that.

I think that if jackets are not required any more in the $10 surcharge areas of the King's Court, it would be unreasonable for them to insist upon it in the general area. It would mean that to go into the bars on board would be tricky so it might be a very dull crossing.

I think due to the circumstances whatever he can manage to wear that is respectable, ie dark dress pants and nice shirt, & tie would be acceptable in the dining room but might feel out of place on formal evening as most do wear a tux. Of coarse his wife should dress appropriately.

The buffet is much less formal and i would not look twice or even notice or care what anyone else was wearing unless it was something outrageous:D:eek:

I think it is a great way for them to travel home. I wish them well.

Julie

One could always order evening meals from room service rather than in Britannia but even if you go to the Kings Court buffet men are expected to be wearing a jacket.

You've never been required to wear a jacket in the buffet area of King's Court. The only requirement is that you don't wear shorts after 6pm. And like the Cap'n says, you don't even have to wear one now in the speciality areas.

Thank you for the replies - I am passing the information on to them - I know that my friend has to feed her husband since both arms are in casts after his surgery.

They are hoping he gets released from Hospital to make this crossing... will be their first cruise if they do (not how they would have planned it at all) and I am sure they are just looking for comfort... and not entertainment (as they would if they really planned to cruise :mad: )

Once again - thank you all very much! :)

Perhaps it would make more sense to query Cunard rather than polling the passengers!

very true - doing both - just getting a feel for everything to try to calm my friends nerves - since she was expecting a European vacation - but has spent it in Hospital taking care of her husband (my husbands co worker) ... showing her posts to show her it should be ok :)

I have a friend in Germany (american citizen) was on a work then holiday in Germany... he had an accident and can not fly home for 2-3 weeks - they are looking into the aug 29th TA... being that it is an "emergency" how strict is the dress code?

thinking a 7 day trip in a nice room would be better than flying being very uncomfortable (he broke both elbows and had surgery Monday)

thanks for any help.... my friend is trying to figure out the best route home for her and her husband.

Hi Brokenglass. Sorry about your friends' accident. But in answer to your question about the dress code, as Capnpugwash and Ray already indicated, there are dining venues that do not require a jacket for men (i.e. King's Court Buffet and the alternative dining venues.) In addition, your friend has the option of ordering room service should he be more comfortable in doing so. What category has he booked? I ask that because room service menu varies depending on category booked (in certain categories it is en-suite dining).

Of course, during the day the dress code on board is casual, not that I'd be roaming about much with two broken elbows which I imagine must be very painful.

Under such circumstances, personally I would not worry about the dress and seek only the peace and quiet of my cabin and weather permitting, a nice rest on a deck chair. If sea conditions were rough, I would choose to remain in my comfy cabin with a good book, a good movie and some tasty snacks from room service while allowing my breaks to heal. However, perhaps your friend could arrange for a motorized wheel chair while on board which would increase his safe mobility in getting around the ship.

Best wishes to your friend. Please let us know how it all works out.

Regards,

Salacia

baring in mode of they don't have the required dress to hand there is also hire onboard i believe is expensive but would be better than being restricted on where to go in the evenings but as said the dress code on Cunard is highly enforced all evening hope your friends find a way of travelling

J

baring in mode of they don't have the required dress to hand there is also hire onboard i believe is expensive but would be better than being restricted on where to go in the evenings but as said the dress code on Cunard is highly enforced all evening hope your friends find a way of travelling

J

Not any more it isn't. If a passenger complains, something may be done but I think that the crew are instructed not to enforce the codes strictly, rather relying on the passengers voluntary compliance.

What a shame! The poor chap, with 2 elbows in plaster I`m sure absolutely everyone would sympathise with his plight. Eating at all must be difficult. If comfort is what they need & I bet they are pretty shaken up and stressed out about this then comfort they should have! Surely people would see at a glance the extreme sartorial difficulties facing these unfortunate people.

Your friend could eat nightly in the Kings Court speciality restaurants dressed smart casual without tie or jacket quite comfortably. The Carvery is particularly good, excellant menu served well and a lovely place to sit in the evenings especially at a window table. The $10 charge includes a gratuity.

Archived