Irene - Veendam NYC Arrival/Departure 8/28

Sagedeb

Hylan Blvd. and Midland Ave was a lake. People were kayaking down the street. Amboy road was flooded in the usual spots. One of my friends lost their brand new home on Amboy road. Water came rushing in and completely submerged it. Everything ruined. Tough luck for a newley wed firefighter and their new baby.

I'm so sorry to hear of all the damage and suffering.

It breaks my heart to read about this young family.

All best wishes go out to them and all others in that sad situation.

President Obama just left Staten Island out when he declared NY a disaster area. I guess pictures lie--we must have imagined all the damage:mad:

From the FEMA website, 8/26:

The President’s action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures, authorized under Title V of the Stafford Act, to save lives and to protect property and public health and safety, and to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in the counties of Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens,
Richmond
, Nassau, and Suffolk.

Which county do you live in?

I think there tends to be some confusion when referring to New York.

New York City is made up of 5 boroughs. They are Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island.

"The Borough of Staten Island is coextensive with Richmond County, the southernmost county in the state of New York."

President Obama just left Staten Island out when he declared NY a disaster area. I guess pictures lie--we must have imagined all the damage:mad:

No, apparently Brooklyn has been left out, not Staten Island. But they say they are still assessing the damage in the city and it may change.

No, apparently Brooklyn has been left out, not Staten Island. But they say they are still assessing the damage in the city and it may change.

Obama signs Hurricane Irene disaster declaration for New York -- Staten Islanders not included

Published: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 10:26 AM Updated: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 12:16 PM

Obama signs Hurricane Irene disaster declaration for New York -- Staten Islanders not included

Published: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 10:26 AM Updated: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 12:16 PM

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=57533

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced that federal aid has been made available to the State of New York to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the area affected by Hurricane Irene beginning on August 26, 2011, and continuing.

The President's action makes federal funding available to affected individuals in Albany, Delaware, Dutchess, Essex, Greene, Schenectady, Schoharie, and Ulster counties.

Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured or underinsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster.

Federal funding also is available to state and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency work and the repair or replacement of facilities damaged by Hurricane Irene in Albany, Bronx, Clinton, Delaware, Dutchess, Essex, Greene, Montgomery, Nassau, New York, Queens, Rensselaer,
Richmond
, Rockland, Schoharie, Suffolk, Ulster, Warren, and Westchester counties.

Can you fond Richmond county in that piece? How about Kings county?

Same goes for all of New York City. Upstate had a lot more damage than the city did.

Upstate NY, VT, NH had incredible damage. The extent of it surprised me because my news coverage is out of NYC, and forecasts and warnings were all about what would happen until the storm left NYC. Looking back, it was as if Irene would evaporate somewhere around Ulster County. I lost power in the storm, so I didn't see a news broadcast for days. It wasn't until I saw a newspaper that I found out how much rain had fallen so far north.

And I'd like to remind people who said Irene was going to be downgaded to "only" a tropical storm that hurricane winds are NOT needed to produce soaking rain and flooding.

Now, to get back to the topic of this thread, has anyone heard about Veendam's current passengers? How many people made it to the ship in time?

Archived