carrying liquor (bought in ports) on plane

user43147

question: I realize you are only allowed a small amount to carry on the plane (within US) however, I wondered why I see some people carrying the bottles in a carry on while traveling. I realize, also, that International travel is different in the hubs than State to State because you but bottlesw after the security check. I am wondering: If we fly in and out of Ft. Lauderdale with NO International flight, how do we transport the liquor that we bought on the cruise that was packed in the carry packages after we leave the boat to get on the plane?

My guess is: we have to pack them in our checked lugguage. Is thise correct? Or, can we carry them on due to a different rule?

Thank you for any info.

question: I realize you are only allowed a small amount to carry on the plane (within US) however, I wondered why I see some people carrying the bottles in a carry on while traveling. I realize, also, that International travel is different in the hubs than State to State because you but bottlesw after the security check. I am wondering: If we fly in and out of Ft. Lauderdale with NO International flight, how do we transport the liquor that we bought on the cruise that was packed in the carry packages after we leave the boat to get on the plane?

My guess is: we have to pack them in our checked lugguage. Is thise correct? Or, can we carry them on due to a different rule?

Thank you for any info.

Usually if you have a direct flighti interntionally, you can sometimes carry bottles. (if it has duty free privilegse) (always wise to check the rules as they change constantly - duty free know).

But if you have a connecting flight - you usually can't do it - has to go into your checkeb baggage.

If you are travelling strictly in the States - then I would suggest you pack it in your checked luggage - wait until you get off the ship and collect your luggage and then pack your bottle(s) while you are waiting. Magellans has great things to protect your bottles:D i

I don't recommend to pack any bottles until you are off the ship. Even the ship will tell you the same thing. Just takes a couple of minutes and so far, things have worked out well for us:)

Thanks for your responses. I thought that I would have to pack it in my checked luggage. I just wondered why I saw some that were carrying the packs of liquor and did not have them checked. They must have come in on International fights. Thank you for verifying my guess.

After you have gone through security you can buy liquids (water, pop, liquor etc.) but before security anything over 3.4 ozs has to go into checked bags. People coming in on international flights probably got it at duty free shops or duty free on the plane.

After you have gone through security you can buy liquids (water, pop, liquor etc.) but before security anything over 3.4 ozs has to go into checked bags. People coming in on international flights probably got it at duty free shops or duty free on the plane.

In Canada, the measurement would be in metric, so the equivalent measurement would be 100 mls! ;)

Purchasing liquor duty free has nothing to do with the US liquid regulations. If you buy it before you go through security, no matter where, it has to go in your checked luggage. We've come back from overseas quite a few times with liquor/wine. You can buy it in the airports after you've gone through security, so you can carry it on your flight. Coming back into the US, however, you have to clear customs at your first point of entry. If you don't have a connecting flight, you're fine. If you have a connecting flight, however, you have to retrieve your bags, go through customs/immigration and then re-check your bags and then go through security. It's going through security again that is not allowed because of the 3 ounce rule. There have been many times where we've gotten our bags after customs and quickly put our liquor/wine in our luggage before rechecking. I usually have some bubble wrap and very large ziplocks ready, too.

In the OPs case, if you've purchased liquor, even if it is duty free, in your ports, you can't take it through security when you get to the airport.

Why bother trying to do any of this? No matter how much money you think you will save, how could ruining all of your cloths with a broken liquor bottle be worth it? Wait until you get home and visit your local wine/liquor store!

That's one of the reasons why we don't do it very often - because it's a pain. It is easier to put it in your luggage from the beginning, which can be without breakage if packed properly. Actually, on certain types of liquor, the price differences are quite significant.

Wine bottles travel very well. I have brought many bottles of wine back from Europe in my checked luggage, never having any break. I do have try to leave the bottles in the boxes from the wineries and sometime use zip lock bags and some bubble wrap. If you get high quality wines, you can save as much as 75% over U.S. prices and sometime obtain wines not available in the U.S. The U.S. duty on a bottle of wine is something like thirty cents and on all my trips back from Europe, I have never had them collect any fees (I always declare everything) and I was told by a customs officer that the fees generated did not cover the costs of them filling out the forms.

I don't recommend packing liquor bottles in checked baggage in that really don't travel as well as a wine bottle and are quite fragile.

It is well worth the hassle of bring wine back when enjoying them many months later.

We wrap the wine in clear plastic(to contain any glass breakage) and then put it in a large zip lock bag(actually the size you need is made by Heffy and sold at Vons(safeway and Target) and then another one of the same of the size. We have never lost a bottle. We always put the bottles in the suitcase rather than a box while flying since TSA is not good about repacking boxes after inspecting.

Why bother trying to do any of this? No matter how much money you think you will save, how could ruining all of your cloths with a broken liquor bottle be worth it? Wait until you get home and visit your local wine/liquor store!

I just had to comment.

That's exactly what happened to us on a return trip from France after a cruise where I packed two bottles of a superb Bordeaux wine that cost about 1/2 the price charged in the USA.

Imagine our emotion when the bag in which those bottles were packed arrived down the belt onto the conveyor oozing out a reddish liquid. When I grabbed it, it actually puddled on the floor.

The bag was the used underwear bag (to cushion the bottles) so we now had a bunch of pinkish underwear.

The only good news is that it wasn't packed with my suits and tuxedo.

That was my lesson. Have not brought any glass bottles of anything along on any trip since.

Archived