Loyalty Points Merged for HAL and Princess?

I've just realized that HAL and Princess are under the same ownership.

We're going on our first Princess cruise next year but have attained two star level on HAL and almost at three.

• Do the attained loyalty points transfer?
  • Is there now one big collection centre for the three lines?

No and no.

Although under the same Corporation, they are run as independent companies and do not share the loyalty program benefits.

However, they do allow you to have a past passenger rate on the CCL lines you have not sailed on yet.

I've just realized that HAL and Princess are under the same ownership.

We're going on our first Princess cruise next year but have attained two star level on HAL and almost at three.

• Do the attained loyalty points transfer?
  • Is there now one big collection centre for the three lines?

I'm Elite on Princess and 3-star Mariner on HAL. Absolutely no connection between HAL's Mariner program and Princess Captain's Circle. The Princess program, IMHO, is much better so to include HAL's members would dilute the program. You might automatically receive a Captain's Circle # and be eligible for past-passenger discounts, but that's moot because many discount TA's will give you a better price.

FYI, I'm not sure what you mean by "the three lines." Carnival Corporation & Plc is a holding company that owns Cunard, Seaborne, Princess, HAL, Carnival Cruise Lines, Azamara, etc. Princess and HAL are NOT owned by Carnival Cruise Lines. All of the cruise lines owned by the holding company are separately managed and operated with efficiencies in soft goods, hard goods, etc. purchasing power.

" Carnival Corporation & Plc is a holding company that owns Cunard, Seaborne, Princess, HAL, Carnival Cruise Lines, Azamara, etc. Princess and HAL are NOT owned by Carnival Cruise Lines.

Pam, are saying Princess is NOT owned by Carnival Corp.? I thought P&O sold Princess to Carnival.

Just wondering as this is news to me, and I like learning new things.

If anyone would know, I am sure it will be you.

Thanks

Pam, are saying Princess is NOT owned by Carnival Corp.? I thought P&O sold Princess to Carnival.

Thanks

Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess Cruise lines are both owned by Carnival Corporation. Each, along with Cunard, HAL, Costa and others, is operated as a separate subsidiary. Benefits acrued on one line cannot be transfered to another.

Thanks

I think she is saying that Princess and HAL are not owned by Carnival cruise line but are owned by Carnival Corporation. Meaning that Carnival Corp is a very diverse company owning many types of cruise lines. It is not like Carnival cruise line bought Princess and made them like Carnival cruise line.

I think she is saying that Princess and HAL are not owned by Carnival cruise line but are owned by Carnival Corporation. Meaning that Carnival Corp is a very diverse company owning many types of cruise lines. It is not like Carnival cruise line bought Princess and made them like Carnival cruise line.

Technically speaking and just to confuse the issue further - Carnival Corporation only own part of their multiple cruise line business of course.

OK, I give up, Who else co-owns the various cruiselines that appear under the CARNIVAL PLC flag?

Its just that there are two companies, Carnival Corporation in the USA and Carnival PLC in the UK, separately quoted stock / shares with different prices (but not very different) and listed on two different stock exchanges, NYSE and London.

Do I understand how it works out in the fine detail?

No.

But I do know that currently the stock is about half the value of a year or so ago, and is about the same price as when I bought it many years ago, the dividends are low but the OBC is great if you like longer cruises and many of them.

Its just that there are two companies, Carnival Corporation in the USA and Carnival PLC in the UK, separately quoted stock / shares with different prices (but not very different) and listed on two different stock exchanges, NYSE and London.

Do I understand how it works out in the fine detail?

No.

But I do know that currently the stock is about half the value of a year or so ago, and is about the same price as when I bought it many years ago, the dividends are low but the OBC is great if you like longer cruises and many of them.

Technically it is the same economic enrtity operating under two names. See attached

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-irhome

Azamara is owned by Royal, but do include Ocean and Aida to Carnival holdings.
You are right. My error. :(

Correct. Thanks for explaining what I meant. People post about Princess being "Carnivalized", not knowing the difference between Carnival Cruise Lines and Carnival Corportion. When purchased many years ago, Princess was owned by P&O. After being purchased, they were separated.

A year ago, CCL was $30.84. Today it is $32.95, higher than a year ago.

Lowest value this year was $28.96, 6% less than a year ago.

Dividend is $1.00 a year. At today's stock price, that is a 3.24% return. These days, that is much better than you can get at a bank.

Take a cruise and add OBC for a higher return.

Dividend is $1.00 a year. At today's stock price, that is a 3.24% return. These days, that is much better than you can get at a bank.

We don't care if the stock goes down to $1 a share.:) We bought it for the OBC's on every cruise we take with these lines. We bought very very low and have more than recouped our investment.:D

We don't care if the stock goes down to $1 a share.:) We bought it for the OBC's on every cruise we take with these lines. We bought very very low and have more than recouped our investment.:D

I've just bought my first 100 shares in both CCL & RCL, as I'm intending to do 4 longish cruises on Princess and 3 on Royal Caribbean within the next 12 months.

The OBC's should be in the order of $1300 total.

A very good return over 1 year, for an outlay of about $5000, don't you think? :)

MP.

Actually you do get 1 HAL credit for taking a Princess Cruise. They even give you a Mariner Number.

So...that's how I got a Mariner Number before we booked and completed our 1st HAL cruise! Very interesting. First time I've heard this.

The OBC's should be in the order of $1300 total.

A very good return over 1 year, for an outlay of about $5000, don't you think? :)

MP.

And it's tax-free !!!!

I've averaged over 13% /year return over the years we've owned RCL's stock...and we don't cruise that massively.

As a tax free return, this is VERY good indeed ! These days, it's close to gold !

Cheers

A few years ago, I received a questionnaire from one of the lines... can't remember which one, but it was one of the Carnival family.

It asked a variety of questions... but, one of the questions asked my opinion on "merging loyalty points" across other lines within the family. So, it gave the impression that it was being considered, but obviously it hasn't happened as of this date.

A few years ago, I received a questionnaire from one of the lines... can't remember which one, but it was one of the Carnival family.

It asked a variety of questions... but, one of the questions asked my opinion on "merging loyalty points" across other lines within the family. So, it gave the impression that it was being considered, but obviously it hasn't happened as of this date.

If they considered it, chances are it was only for a second. The Princess program is based on either the number of cruises or days completed. Carnival has a lot of 3-, 4- and 5-day cruises so technically, a Carnival cruiser could achieve Elite status after only 45 days cruised. While Princess has a few cruises shorter than seven days, the influx of probably thousands of Carnival-only cruisers would probably require drastic changes to the Princess loyalty program. Decidedly not fair to loyal Princess cruisers. There would be a massive uproar and PR nightmare for Princess. I know I'd cruise more often on HAL if it weren't for my Elite status.

Let me just say that in January 2011 the share price was $47. Now its $33 or so.

I believe in Carnival Corporation long term as a profitable business.

Royal Caribbean though is now $26 and in January this year was $48. I am not so convinced about their longterm prospects.

I have also read that Royal Caribbean do not always grant stockholder OBC on all their retail sold cruises as Carnival owned lines do, saying that some flash fares are too cheap to qualify.

Don't know how accurate that is.

Archived