3-day Bahamas: RC vs NCL vs Disney

Tetra

So new to cruising, so lost.... :)

I'd like to do a short cruise for my first one, preferably out of FL, so I think that gives me a choice of:

RC: Monarch of the Seas/Majesty of the Seas

NCL: Sun/Sky

Disney: Dream

What I would like:

A fresh, clean, reasonably updated cabin

Good food, a variety of places to eat

Quiet spots on the deck to relax and read (would be willing to pay extra for reserved area)

Activities - movies, crafting/cooking classes, relatively low-key stuff

What I wouldn't like:

Dingy, dated cabins/public areas

Don't want a "booze cruise"

If it helps, I'm 52, female, would be traveling solo, not a big drinker, might stop by a club to listen to the music, but not into dancing/partying.

I'm mostly looking for R&E - relaxing and eating. :D A little pampering, some new sights to see, and lots of relaxation.

Given this information, which of the cruise lines/ships I listed above would you recommend? Any that you think would definitely not be for me?

Thanks so much!

What I would like:

A fresh, clean, reasonably updated cabin

Good food, a variety of places to eat

Quiet spots on the deck to relax and read (would be willing to pay extra for reserved area)

Activities - movies, crafting/cooking classes, relatively low-key stuff

All of your choices are mainstream so there will be people who like them and those who don't like them. Everyone's definition of "fresh" "clean" and "good" can be very different. Price will be very different too when you are comparing MOS/MOS or the 2 NCLs to the Disney Dream. The smallest and oldest RCL/NCL ships are doing the 3 days Bahamas, whereas Disney has the newest and biggest ship doing the same itin, BUT, you could be paying double or triple the price too.

As for quiet spots, I'd say it will be easier to find a quiet spot on a longer cruise/during off season, as compared to shorter cruise/during summer vacation.

Our DD was on the Cruise Staff on Monarch & Majesty a few yr's back and we 1st cruised RCCL in 1987, IMHO, you would not like it.

NCL- nicer/newer ships, informal, but a lot of partyin goin on.

Disney, well, is Disney, lots n lots of wonderful youngsters, so not to sure on how relaxing it would be for you.

""I'm mostly looking for R&E - relaxing and eating. :D A little pampering, some new sights to see, and lots of relaxation.""

A 7 day doing the Eastern route would best fit what you are looking for. Most any line, Celebrity best choice, or for real quiet, Holland, as they tend to roll up the carpet around 11.

Any day on a cruise Ship, is better than a day any where else, well, except with our Grand Kids!:D

I took a 4 day cruise on the Majesty of the Seas in 2008. I really enjoyed it. The staff, food, cabin, entertainment was wonderful. And there were spots if you just wanted quiet and relax.

Can't comment on the other lines you mention. Someone else I am sure will give you their experiences. Also try reading the reviews. But everyones taste is different.

I don't find any 3 days cruise relaxing. Activity onboard is frantic. Not that there are heavy duty partiers, but there are extended family groups, reunions, etc. the kind that wear matching t-shirts and move as a school of fish, intent on cramming the most activity they can into the short cruise. The best thing about those cruises is staying on the ship in port when everyone else has headed for the beach. EM

Thank you all very much for your comments! I've learned a lot from reading these boards over the past few days.

I was leaning heavily towards NCL, until I received a really unpleasant telemarketing call about a day after ordering their brochure (no, I hadn't asked for a call). Thoroughly rude, aggressive, abrasive representative. Very surprising, and enough to put them off my list.

In the end, I went with Disney, for the 3-day Bahamas in April 2012. I know the Disney brand well, and I'm a regular at WDW, so the boisterous kiddies wouldn't bother me. :)

I'd love to take a longer cruise, but right now I can't manage that much time off from work. 3-day cruises will have to do for the time being.

Since the fall cruises are so inexpensive, and April seems such a long time away, I still might try one on RCCL or Carnival this fall. Maybe. :)

Thanks again!

Lynne

If money is no object and you adore all things Disney, DISNEY!

There ships have private areas that are free of kids, actually IMHO better than any other ship for the very reason they are kid focused ;)

"Since the fall cruises are so inexpensive, and April seems such a long time away, I still might try one on RCCL or Carnival this fall. Maybe. :)

Thanks again!

Lynne"

I highly recommend Royal Caribbean and the Monarch of the Seas. Yes, it is the smallest ship in their fleet, as well as being the oldest.....I think.

We have been on the ship at least two times, and on the Sovereign once, which basically the same. RCCL, in my experience, does a wonderful job of making you feel as if your money was spent VERY well. The service we have received from everyone we have come in contact with, on any of their cruises, has been outstanding.

We have also sailed with Carnival. One was amazing and one was not so amazing. I had always heard that Carnival cruises, were the "cruises". But neither time did experience anything out of control, or anything that made us worry. We do however, prefer RCCL.

Sailing out of Port Canaveral has always been very easy going and debarking has been a breeze as well.

Anyway, just my $0.02

Have a great time whichever you choose !!!!!

I highly recommend Royal Caribbean and the Monarch of the Seas. Yes, it is the smallest ship in their fleet, as well as being the oldest.....I think.

We have been on the ship at least two times, and on the Sovereign once, which basically the same. RCCL, in my experience, does a wonderful job of making you feel as if your money was spent VERY well. The service we have received from everyone we have come in contact with, on any of their cruises, has been outstanding.

We have also sailed with Carnival. One was amazing and one was not so amazing. I had always heard that Carnival cruises, were the "cruises". But neither time did experience anything out of control, or anything that made us worry. We do however, prefer RCCL.

Sailing out of Port Canaveral has always been very easy going and debarking has been a breeze as well.

Anyway, just my $0.02

Have a great time whichever you choose !!!!!

Thanks! As you can see by my signature, I found a terrific deal on a Monarch sailing, and decided to give it a try. I feel much better now, 7 months was just too long to wait for my first cruise. :D

you will enjoy the Dream.....and don't worry about all the kiddies because they have great "adult only" areas that you can really enjoy.

They seem to be the only line that enforces the "adult only" theme....

Have a great cruise!!!!

Archived