Kids in CL?

My first thought is from what age? a non-toilet trained child that just filled it's nappie is sure going to cause a stink in the small confined area of the CL:p:D

We enjoy our evenings in the CL , have met so many friends over the years over a drink or two or three;), If it is implemented we'll deal with it on an individual basis, no two cruises are the same:).

My issue isn't kids seeing adults drink or well behaved kids being there, although we do look forward to a quiet evening drink without children around, as there's almost nowhere you can go anymore that there aren't kids. It's the fact that there will be nowhere to sit as parents will feel their kids are entitled to sit on all the chairs and sofas. So families will take up multiple seats instead of just two when the adults are only there.

One of the reasons we book a GS, besides the size, is the CL for a nice quiet place to go before dinner. Fortunately, we always do late seating so most families with smaller children will be dining when we're in the CL.

And my boys were well behaved, polite, etc, but I still wouldn't have brought them into the CL to sit while we try to have a conversation. No matter what people say, almost no 5 year old can sit still for more than about 10 minutes before they are "bored" and making noise about it. I don't care how well behaved they are, they will get bored.

I just hope this isn't a result of some parents complaining, threatening etc. You know, the ones that always make a huge deal out of something just to get their way, forgetting there are probably a lot more who don't want it.

While I understand that some (maybe most) adults do not want to be around kids in a bar or a lounge, I really don't understand why people say that bars are not the right atmosphere for kids to be in. We are always bringing our kids with us to a bar while waiting for our dinner to start. My DH and I have a cocktail, while the kids have a smoothie or soda or nothing. It never occurred to us that this is inappropriate. Our kids (now 7 and 14) have seen us drinking at dinner. I just don't think it is a big deal.

I get a sense that when people say that they don't want kids to see adults drinking, what they really mean is that they don't think the kids should even know that adults drink. Consuming alcohol is legal. Our kids understand that there is time and place for everything and when they are adults that too can choose to participate in adult activities.

P.S. I understand those people who say that don't want to be around kids in a bar or in a lounge, because let's face it, some kids don't know how to behave. I totally support adults only areas on a ship, provided that alternative areas are created for parents with kids.

That just about covers the vast majority of the ship - kids are allowed almost everywhere. It was nice to have a few hours in the CL without them - drinking or not. I wonder who they will sit with when there aren't enough seats together for them to sit with their parents. :rolleyes:

Gina

Just received this last night from suite concierge via email:

"

The Concierge Lounge is a private area accessible on a 24-hour basis.

Due to the adult oriented atmosphere and availability of alcoholic beverages in the evening, only guests of 18 years and above are permitted in the lounge between 5:00 PM and 8:30 PM. We respectfully request that guests use footwear and appropriate dress while in the lounge. "

I think it disproves the rumour for me, ill try smuggle in my 7 month old and let you know how it goes...

On my last cruise last week I received a letter in my stateroom from the loyalty ambassador stating who the concierge was. That named concierge had been off the ship for several weeks.

The letter you received was wrong. The change is fleet wide. It may take a few weeks for all the concierges to implement it. I wouldn't be surprised if some don't allow children in until someone complains about it.

Gina

I mean...D+ will be history in the lounge if they complain about the precious children.

Gina

I hope that you are exaggerating the likely reaction of RCI and its executives. Seems that they have been roundly criticized in the past for various policies and they haven't resorted to such drastic measures. Perhaps they will agree that "precious children" don't really need to be in the CL during cocktail time. Has there been some sort of groundswell of support for allowing kids in the CL that I am unaware of that would explain this new policy? If not, can you find a reason that they would change this long standing policy?

This new policy of allowing children of Suite Guests in to the CL with a parent at any time was just implemented about 2 weeks ago and is an unpublicized policy. It is slowly making it's way to all ships.

I've also been told that on Brilliance children of both Suite Guests as well as D+ guests are being allowed into the CL as long as they are accompanied by an adult no matter the time of day.

Allowing children of D+ Members in to the CL may also become consistent among the fleet if not already in place.

It's true. And if D+ complain, I think they are history. Of course some may complain about unfriendly subject matter for children being discussed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it is coming to only suite and pinnacle will be allowed in the CL. this will get rid of the overcrowding.:)

I agree and as a suite passenger, I will be unhappy to have a room full of 5 year olds taking all the very few seats that should be for adults cocktail hour. What is the email address for Adam Goldstein again? Or is there another that would be more appropriate to contact?

I mean...D+ will be history in the lounge if they complain about the precious children.

Gina

......FINE BY ME...If I'm paying $2000.00 for my daughter who is diamond on her own than I would expect she should be "allowed" to accompany us into the CL for an after dinner coffee...of course as long as she acts as a young lady....anyone should expect nothing less....;):)

It doesn't necessarily 'disprove' it...it may just mean that it's not been implemented fleetwide yet.....or maybe the concierges have the final say on their ship....who knows!!!

Or maybe that concierge has not changed the form letter?

It's very likely that the concierge just sent out the form letter he or she has been sending out forever.

Of course it was because people were complaining about not being able to get their free booze because someone had to watch the kiddies.:rolleyes:

This will also help clear out the lounge when adults get tired of hearing shrieking and crying kids who are bored to tears. Thatoughta help the bottom line if they can serve fewer alcoholic drinks.

Thanks Megr. I'm sure people do complain they can't bring the kiddies in, however that's why there's an adventure ocean. Kiddies can come in all day and all night except for a few hours. It's just ridiculous to me that the few seats available for adults to enjoy cocktails will be filled with babies and 5 year olds.

then I guess my two cents....if my roommate isn't a d+and I am and have privilege of CL and I paid for cruise than she should be allowed in the cl with me. I have no problem with 18 and under guests in CL during the day. As a matter of fact several years ago, we had a diamond plus guest bring her grand babies in the CL as she was the babysitter while they were at dinner show. They never made a sound but the baby stroller took up some great amount of room and on the Explorer that CL is small.

I know if parents are in suites and bringing their kids on cruise they feel they are entitled to this benefit and it is fine but not appropriate during cocktail hour.

so RCCL how about putting us a CL lounge in the solarium for non suite guests entitled to this benefit....

Just saying

it is coming to only suite and pinnacle will be allowed in the CL. this will get rid of the overcrowding.:)

There were approximately 168 PC Members as of Jan 21, 2011 if memory serves me correctly. We have lost a few wonderful PC members, but then I am sure there are been some additions since January. There are 22 ships in the RCI fleet.

I don't think that all PC Members, let's just say for the sake of discussion, that there are now 200, even 250 who will be cruising on the same ship at the same time. Those odds are pretty slim to none IMHO.

I think you may find several vacant Concierge positions if RCI were to eliminate D+ from the CL.

So can d/d+ bring children to the D lounges during cocktail hour(s)?

Honestly - I rarely saw any children in the CL during the hours they were permitted.

M

Currently on Brilliance D+ Member can bring their children in to the CL.

I'll never understand what could possess people to WANT to take their children into an environment where adults are drinking. I shouldn't have to censor myself because someone's little darling is there if I don't wish to. And by that I mean if I feel like telling an off-colour joke or some other topic that is fit for adult ears.

I'm a preschool teacher by profession, now a mostly stay at home mom. I'm around children pretty much 24/7. I won't be making allowances if kids are places that are inappropriate, and I shouldn't have to.

And yes, it is inappropriate. Here in Ontario it's not even legal to take your child into a bar, period. I would not take my son to a bar and sit there- there are plenty of places that are more appropriate than a venue focused on the consumption of alcohol. Having a drink with a meal or by the pool is a different ballgame.

Archived