Cruising with no shared cabin

cjknick

I've not yet cruised and can hardly wait to do so. I'm nearly done with the single parenting thing and want to cruise SO bad. I'm saving my pennies as I type :)

My question: I am aware that the NCL Epic caters a bit to singles (lodging, lounge) but the only destinations I see thus far for that ship is Europe. For my first cruise I don't think I want to go that far and I've been to Europe twice in the past few years (with kids). My ultimate destination is the Caribbean, probably Eastern but I wouldn't sneeze at going to Western, either. Is the Epic the only ship (and NCL the only cruise line) that offers single cabins without having to pay the "penalty" (my words) for not having double occupancy? I really want my own cabin as I prefer a place I can call my own space while on vacation.

Thanks everyone!

Cindy

Out of the mass-market cruiselines (the ones you'll see advertising on TV ;)), Epic is the only ship with cabins marketed specifically to solo travelers. However, as a solo you can sometimes find bargains on other ships where it's not that full penalty. I paid about 140% on my solo cruise instead of the typical 200% and sometimes it is even cheaper. But the percentage doesn't necessarily mean anything - I've seen a lot of cruises where paying the full price for 2 people is still cheaper than an Epic cabin for 1. It pays to shop around to get the experience you are looking for at a price that works for you.

That being said, the Epic actually sails out of Miami to the Caribbean over the winter (roughly December through March) so depending on when you want to travel, you might be able to pick this ship and stay a little closer to home.

I've not yet cruised and can hardly wait to do so. I'm nearly done with the single parenting thing and want to cruise SO bad. I'm saving my pennies as I type :)

My question: I am aware that the NCL Epic caters a bit to singles (lodging, lounge) but the only destinations I see thus far for that ship is Europe. For my first cruise I don't think I want to go that far and I've been to Europe twice in the past few years (with kids). My ultimate destination is the Caribbean, probably Eastern but I wouldn't sneeze at going to Western, either. Is the Epic the only ship (and NCL the only cruise line) that offers single cabins without having to pay the "penalty" (my words) for not having double occupancy? I really want my own cabin as I prefer a place I can call my own space while on vacation.

Thanks everyone!

Cindy

Cindy, I would agree with bgkali. Check out some of the other cruise lines and you might find some that are actually cheaper than a single on the EPIC. The singles on the EPIC get booked fairly quickly, and I have seen where I could stay in a double room, pay the SS, and still have a cheaper trip than on the EPIC. Earlier this year I looked at the TA on the EPIC and at that time it was cheaper for me to book a double room than it was to book one of the studios. Other lines offer some great deals on the itinerary you are looking at, especially in early December. Happy Sailing and good luck.

I've always cruised solo and find good rates by booking: a) December 1-15; b) early March; c) September; and d) last minute. So far, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have had the best solo rates. Cost is a factor for me, so once a week (usually Tuesday) I check various sites online, plug in a few dates, and see where the fares are. I keep track of the cruises that I like and I book when I see fares drop. Fares fluctuate all the time, based on occupancy, so it’s important to check frequently. I suggest not limiting yourself by looking at a ship just because they have ‘single’ cabins. Instead, look for the best deal. And do sign up for online notices from cruise lines and travel agents, both of which announce specials and sales. Most of all have fun! The planning can be half the fun if you approach it in the right way and you’re off to a good start by being on Cruise Critic.

Thanks everyone!

Cindy

• 4 weeks later...

I agree - shop around and with some flexibility on dates/itinerary it's not too hard to find a regular sized inside cabin for a rate competitive with the Epic studios.

Many of us probably expected that the rate for a studio would be similar to the rate per person double occupancy for a regular inside cabin but the pricing structure does not work that way. As long as there's high demand for these don't expect to see prices anywhere near the low per person double occupancy rates you see advertised in the newspaper and travel websites.

That's rude to be taking tours through what's supposed to be a private lounge. One step short of showing a group the inside of someone's cabin. I wonder if the Garden Villa people are subject to the same type of intrusion.

Don't get too hung up on the penalty - it is what it is. Pick a general destination like the Eastern/Southern Caribbean and set a target budget. Do phantom bookings to see what the solo cost would be. I sail RCL and find that their supplement routinely runs 170% for the cruises I'm interested in. If you're flying get a feel for what the airline price might be. Look for cruise price monitor to find a site that posts prices daily so you can track the price.

Some of the best times for deals in the Caribbean are late Nov to just before Christmas and after New Year's to President's day. Look at the roll calls for cruises in that time period to see how active they are. The cruises out of San Juan can be very reasonable because of the cost of getting there.

Sometimes prices drop significantly after final payment and you can get good prices on "guarantee" rooms and a lower single supplement. But you have to be prepared to pay the going airline rate.

Post back with more details as to where you live, budget, cruise length, and time of year to travel - I'm sure others can give suggestions with more specific information.

The advice about finding the best prices is absolutely right. The Epic studios are quite expensive for all they are.

EXCEPT- "catering to singles". Epic studios attract singles and NCL makes some effort to have singles' event- on most ships, they're a joke. No matter how good the price, if you end up on a ship being totally bored, it's not good value. Make sure you pick a ship you like.

Archived