Seabourn's "house wines"

glenr

I think you're better off finding a good wine store in Malaga and purchasing there. Ask the concierge at your hotel for recommendations.

A few years ago we were in Barcelona and bought a case of win at Lavinia on diagonal 605 between Corte Inles Diagonal & La Illa. It was an amazing wine store with a great selection

47b6cc26b3127cce8f2d03a83e1400000016109AZsmzhq5cA.jpg.cb1721ade6f966f6a055232889bf09e4.jpg

Marja,

I'm one of those who maintains that I can always find something enjoyable to drink among the complimentary wines. However, if someone wants a higher quality wine I think buying in port and bringing on the ship is a better and and more reasonable way to do it.

Marja,

I'm one of those who maintains that I can always find something enjoyable to drink among the complimentary wines. However, if someone wants a higher quality wine I think buying in port and bringing on the ship is a better and and more reasonable way to do it.

Like I do....

Luckily not all passengers are on CC.... Otherwise it would be hectic regarding wine service during dinner with all those "imported" wines...:(!

Marja

As we went on to Paris after the cruise ended in Rome. I'll stick to the wine issue and post separately on the general feedback (which is excellent). I thought the wines were mediocre for the most part, but everyone was eager to please and had no problem if we asked to try an alternative or two (or three). I guess for what they are paying on average for these bottles, they could have done worse, but Seabourne should step up their game on this. At least have a second tier of quality, lets say $15. a bottle wines, for those that want something just a little better. We did have the option of buying a better single bottle with each dinner, but decided to have cocktails before dinner and just have a glass or two of wine with the meal.

Maybe if enough of us board with our suitcase and a case of wine they will get the hint!

We are in fact shipping a case. No sense in taking such a great trip on such a magnificent ship (Odessey) with mediocre wine. Not the worst thing in the world but we do like good wine.

We are in fact shipping a case. No sense in taking such a great trip on such a magnificent ship (Odessey) with mediocre wine. Not the worst thing in the world but we do like good wine.

Good idea, here is a letter I have sent to David Everett at Seabourne. You will find it self explanatory.

Dear David Everett

I have recently had the pleasure of experiencing my first Seabourn cruise and I have to say that it was probably one of the best cruises my wife and I have experienced, having cruised on many other lines before.

The suite was lovely and the cabin service exceptional, the food and the restaurants also brilliant as was the service. The entertainment was great and we participated in everything.

However, there was one big problem. The wine served with dinner was cheap and awful. When one is eating such wonderful meals they should be complemented with a reasonable wine. Good wines are not expensive today, I do not expect top shelf, single vineyard, Grand Cru but I do expect a reasonable quality. The wines served on Odyssey were cheap and nasty – the pinot noir was almost undrinkable and the Argentinean malbek was just as awful. The Sauvignon Blanc (Wingspan) which came from NZ was terrible. Here in NZ we make wonderful Sauvignon Blanc and you can buy it for around $NZ12. (about $US10.)and that’s retail. Why serve $6 rubbish.

You should also be informed that most of the passengers we spoke to all complained about the wine. I went as far as to speak to the sommelier and also to Andreas, the hotel manager. They all admitted to having several complaints but all sang from the same songbook, saying they could only serve the wines they were supplied with.

It is truly a shame that such a wonderful product should be spoilt for the sake of a few dollars. Whoever is buying your wine is doing you a massive disservice and I have to say that it is unlikely that I will cruise again with Seabourn without first checking the winelist.

The problem was exacerbated by the price of the wines that could be bought on board—Fancy paying $US66 for an Italian Gavi De Gavi ???Truly outrageous.

The problem was exacerbated by the price of the wines that could be bought on board—Fancy paying $US66 for an Italian Gavi De Gavi ???Truly outrageous.

Say what?????!!!!!!!! The Gavi de Gavi was one of the complimentary wines on the Sojourn this summer! $66 - are they nuts? $6 is more like it.

If you decide to purchase a bottle in the restaurant and do not want to finish it, do they have the proper equipment to reseal it and keep it in good condition until the next night or longer? We haven't tried this--has anyone else?

NOT finishing a bottle has never been a problem for us....

Great letter MarioBanus.

I am sure many of us will be interested in the response. Please keep us posted.

BTW, who is David Everett - what is his role, and what is his address? I have a few Shoreside Admin. issues of my own I would like to raise.

It is not a question of being cranky for the hell of it. SB is a great product that generates very strong customer loyalty, most of us do not want to see it being devalued and get twitchy if standards are not maintained.

Some of the decisions and attitudes coming out of Seattle are cheap, arrogant and misdirected.

Seabourn should be, above all, about providing an unforgettable experience with first-class service for a fair price. That is where it makes its reputation and that is what people are prepared to pay for and recommend.

It seems that some in Seabourn Management believe that it is now, above all, about maximising profits. Of course a succesful business needs to do both, but if it prioritizes the latter, then it may be at the expense of the former. That is what seems to be happening and it is the thin end of the wedge.

One just feels that that the thinking in Management must be "Most passengers would not know a quality wine if it bit them on the backside, so lets just serve them the cheap swill. A few people will be unhappy, so what, they will just have to pay more for the 'quality' stuff."

This kind of hard-edged 'fiscal realism' and lack of real respect for the customer is not what SB built its reputation upon.

The wine quality must have gone down since we were last on board SB, in May. I do hope that everyone who thinks the offered wines are poor - and in particular if one is told there is no choice - will email or write to Head Office to say so. We certainly will, if necessary. It is I think true that some 'sommeliers' and wine waiters are more helpful than others, but obviously even with the best of intentions they can only serve what is on the ship.

Next year's brochure still says that 'fine wine' is included at mealtimes. We all know that the cruise lines exaggerate somewhat in their descriptions, but could this be one case where we could threaten to sue? Well, we probably would not, but I really hope that the powers that be are reading these comments and taking action.

Say what?????!!!!!!!! The Gavi de Gavi was one of the complimentary wines on the Sojourn this summer! $66 - are they nuts? $6 is more like it.

The wine they serve as a complimentary wine is Gavi and not Gavi de Gavi.

There is a big difference between the two both in quality and price!

They served the Gavi de Gavi in the Norwegian Fjords and Baltic cruise this past June. I checked the list posted earlier and it does say just Gavi. However, I'm sure they did serve the Gavi de Gavi as the complimentary wine. I drank it a few times at lunch, but no way it is a $66 wine!

Correct Shefinch, and you are right to say "there is a big difference between the two both in quality and price! " The Gavi is a 3 or 4 Euro wine.

In reply to Flamin_june, I can advise that I was given David Everett's Buis Card by the Hotel Manager on the Seabourn Odysey. David is described as "Seabourn Special Advisor" Office of the President. his e mail address is --guestrelations@seabourn.com

Correct Shefinch, and you are right to say "there is a big difference between the two both in quality and price! " The Gavi is a 3 or 4 Euro wine.

In reply to Flamin_june, I can advise that I was given David Everett's Buis Card by the Hotel Manager on the Seabourn Odysey. David is described as "Seabourn Special Advisor" Office of the President. his e mail address is --guestrelations@seabourn.com

I have written to Mr. Everett asking him to upgrade the wine list and let future passengers know about it. (We'll see how that goes). I've also asked him to refer to the numerous posts on wine that are now on Cruise Critic and finally I've asked him to respond to me. I do not intend to make a pest of myself as I think that would take away from what I know will be a fantastic TA trip but I felt I did need to tell him.

I could be wrong but I seriously doubt that the person in charge of guest relations is the one who chooses the wines. Guest relations means appeasing you for the poorer quality of that wine. I'm sure there are bean counters at HAL who have much more to say about the choice of wine on board the ships now.

We are booked on the Nov 21 BA to Santiago cruise and I called to ask to see the wine list (including those to be served with meals-not just the purchase list) and the bar drink list. I was told neither was avalable because because it"changed ' on each cruise and I would get it when we boarded. I confirmed we can bring our own wine on board and based on what I've read about the wines currently being served we are planning to do that and get a case in BA before we board.

I could be wrong but I seriously doubt that the person in charge of guest relations is the one who chooses the wines. Guest relations means appeasing you for the poorer quality of that wine. I'm sure there are bean counters at HAL who have much more to say about the choice of wine on board the ships now.

In most organisations, an important role of Guest Relations is to provide a focus for guests to make views known/ ask questions and make comments. They are usually a conduit for informing the organisation of emerging issues ( such as wine quality) and providing feedback to customers. Naturally, others in the company are charged with making executive decisions ( eg wine purchasing policy). If this first port of call is not effective in getting messages through to a Company then one can always escalate the issue through to the CEO/ Chairman or indeed the owner.

I dont think your continuing references to " bean counters" are very constructive. But there again, you may have particular inside knowledge of the workings of Seabourn, in which case perhaps you would be kind enough to share with the rest of the Seabourn Community.

I dont think your continuing references to " bean counters" are very constructive. But there again, you may have particular inside knowledge of the workings of Seabourn, in which case perhaps you would be kind enough to share with the rest of the Seabourn Community.

On the asumption that wine quality has fallen, as many here suggest, can you think of anyone else likely to be responsible other than the bean counters? I'd be surprised if it was a deliberate plot to get us to buy off the reserve list.

Archived