Milford, Doubtful, and Dusky Sound--stay on ship?

Josume94

Just some info to assist with your decision. If you decide to get off the ship, you will only see Milford Sound, and miss out cruising the other sounds. Also you will not get a lot of time to see Dunedin, just a tiny bit of this area. The Otago Peninsula is stunning btw. Also the land version, although others say it is spectacular, is quite expensive. When the ship enters Milford, you would sail right into it, one way, disembark to smaller boat and begin your journey. I suggest you stand on the port side for the views going into the sound. This scenario is for ships doing Milford before Dunedin.....reverse it, if you are docking at Dunedin first.

Hard decision......I personally would rather stay onboard, and get the chance to see more of Dunedin and Otago Peninsula. Just my opinion!

Jen

We have been having exactly the same discussion!!!

As far as we can tell the plus points of staying on board are:

• Seeing Doubtful and Dusky Sounds
  • Having a full day in Dunedin and surrounding area
  • Saving money (£700 - US$1,100) seems like a lot of money for 2 of us.

And the adavantages of the tour

• Get to see Queenstown and Southern Alps

I think the conclusion we came to was that we would only be swapping seeing one nice place for another, and whilst we would have loved to have included Queenstown on our itinerary (in addition to everywhere else!) we couldn't really justify the additional cost for this particular trip.

Suggest you stay on board .

Milford Sound you sail in and out the same entrance.

IIRC Doubtful & Dusky Sounds you sail in one entrance and out a different way .

If you do the Ships Excursion ex Dunedin to Trieri Gorge Railway you get return train trip from shipside to Trieri Gorge back to Dunedin station then coach tour of the scenic Otago Peninsula including Larnach Castle .

We have been having exactly the same discussion!!!

As far as we can tell the plus points of staying on board are:

• Seeing Doubtful and Dusky Sounds
  • Having a full day in Dunedin and surrounding area
  • Saving money (£700 - US$1,100) seems like a lot of money for 2 of us.

And the adavantages of the tour

• Get to see Queenstown and Southern Alps

I think the conclusion we came to was that we would only be swapping seeing one nice place for another, and whilst we would have loved to have included Queenstown on our itinerary (in addition to everywhere else!) we couldn't really justify the additional cost for this particular trip.

IIRC it is more like the $1000 per person and while those who did it were happy, you could take that money and fly to Queenstown after your cruise.

I like Queenstown. The area is spectacular but like Jen says, you miss Dunedin and the Otago Peninsula which is underrated in my opinion.:cool:

Tastes are funny things. People ask me what I see in Dunedin and I just stare blankly like didn't you see it? My neighbors are all upset right now about one house. I see it as odd but find the colr schemes on many far more upsetting but "everyone" is happy with that. Different strokes.

Stay on board, fly to Queenstown, do it all!:D

IIRC it is more like the $1000 per person and while those who did it were happy, you could take that money and fly to Queenstown after your cruise.

I like Queenstown. The area is spectacular but like Jen says, you miss Dunedin and the Otago Peninsula which is underrated in my opinion.:cool:

Tastes are funny things. People ask me what I see in Dunedin and I just stare blankly like didn't you see it? My neighbors are all upset right now about one house. I see it as odd but find the colr schemes on many far more upsetting but "everyone" is happy with that. Different strokes.

Stay on board, fly to Queenstown, do it all!:D

Moyaroo is far better at explaining than me, and I totally agree with him. It is so hard to describe the beauty of the Otago Peninsula, let alone Dunedin itself. To me the scenery was so beautifully unbelievable, akin to a watercolour painting, impossible to take your eyes off whilst thinking 'is this real'. My memories of this area are with me for life....unforgettable....whereas Queenstown, as spectacular as it is, seems similar to some other alpine areas of the world.

So....have we talked you into saving the money and flying to Queenstown??

Jen

Archived