RCCL CruiseCare insurance

Tetra

Just wondering if most of you have found the CruiseCare insurance to be adequate, or if you use other insurance carriers.

My parents are elderly, and in generally good health, but I do get those surprise calls from the ER once or twice a year. What I'd mostly be wanting the insurance for is:

• Getting my money back (or a credit) for the cruise if I needed to cancel because of a parent's illness, even the day before departure.
  • Getting a flight home from Nassau at least partially covered, if I had to leave the cruise early due to a parent's illness.

I'd be flying Southwest, so if I can't get reimbursed for my flight to Orlando, I could always get a credit for a future trip, so I'm not too concerned about that.

It's of course very unlikely that I'd need this, but,well, stuff happens. :)

Thanks!

W always purchase our insurance through RCCL. We used it once when, a few weeks before our Alaskan cruise, our mother/cruising partner ended up in the hospital and was unable to cruise. We cancelled and got all our money back except, of course, the cost of the insurance. The process was easy and quick. Others may report a different outcome, but we were impressed and pleased.

We always get it through Royal. Used it a couple years back when our daughters cabin partner got mono just after final payment. Her mom didn't want to worry about her feeling better by the cruise so she canceled. Our daughter had no increase in cabin price and the other girl got back 100% plus the airfare that we had booked independently. Won't cruise without it.

You should read the terms so you know what your getting when you compare coverages & rates, a generic phrase like "Lost Luggage coverage" could be $250 max with one company and $750 with another. They all have limits on each coverage.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I've had to use it a couple times :eek: and they paid quickly.....i also use others like CSA and travelex.....among others depending on when i booked, etc...(some had different pre existing medical look back limits....and dates by when it had to be purchased....

Shop around and see which plan fits your situation the best...

Many policies include coverage for cancellations due to pre-existing conditions if you purchase trip insurance within a week or so of putting a deposit on your cruise--if you just booked, don't delay. You may not have any pre-existing conditions, but you may have family members not travelling with you who do. If you have to cancel due to the illness or death of a family member with a pre-existing condition you will want to have this coverage. Lets face it, most people have something that could be considered a pre-existing condition by the time they are in their 80's or 90's.

Generally speaking, 3rd party policies are better than the ones offered by the cruise line. Go to one of the sites that compares various policies and buy the one that offers the protection you decide you need for what you are willing to pay. We have also bought insurance through AAA which is an Access America policy. The cost is the same regardless of age so it can be a good deal if you are older.

Travel insurance covers much more than just the cost of the cruise if you have to cancel. Even healthy young people occasionally have medical emergencies on a cruise and the costs involved can be astronomical. So, it's worth having even if you are healthy and don't have elderly parents.

I believe the "pre-existing condition" clause only applies to the named insureds, not family members. We had to cancel a cruise for MIL's health reasons, and her problem was from a pre-existing condition. No problem to get all our money back.

Archived