denali tours

polsled

There is lots of bus info on the Denali Park web site.

"Which to choose"

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/which-bus-to-choose.htm

"Shuttle info"

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

"Tour bus info".

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-tours.htm

And more info on the Parks reservation site. Click on PLAY for other info.

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

I've never taken the tour bus. Have taken 3 trips by shuttle.

I choose the shuttle because it's 1/3 the price, I can choose the EXACT departure time instead of a window, and I can hop off to hike or walk if I choose.

The TWT goes 53 miles in 7 hrs for $103. The Eielson shuttle goes 66 miles in 8 hrs for $32. Both buses travel the same road, stop every 90 minutes at the same rest stop and stop for all wildlife sightings. I've had great drivers who provided info on history and wildlife. I'm sure people tip better when they've had a great trip. (altho I was shocked at how few people tipped for such a great day at a bargain price). I've ridden the shuttle at 8am, noon and 2. Had great sightings each time. I preferred the 8am because I didn't have to get up early and rush around, the passengers and driver weren't tired or grumpy, we arrived at Eielson at lunchtime so a nice spot to eat, and we returned around 5pm.

The animals are out there eating to fatten up for winter; where they happen to be is a crapshoot but they're out there somewhere and at all times of the day. It's all luck. Similar to 'which side of the bus is best?".

With the shuttle bus you need to take your own lunch and drink. The tour bus provides some kind of camera and screen so the driver can zoom in wildlife that's far away.

There have been other posts from those in the know that indicate early morning is preferred for better wildlife sightings. If the weather is warm wildlife can be more active in the morning and then bed down to avoid the heat in the afternoon. Going to at least Eielson increases your chances for sightings as well. We use the shuttle as the TWT is just not worth the video screens and box lunch to us. As mapleleaves indicated, luck helps.

It really doesn't matter what you "choose" or what you are "assigned". Our cruisetour package said that we were on the morning TWT, but when we got to Denali, the tickets they gave us were for the afternoon tour. We took our paperwork down to the main desk to clear this up and we were told that it didn't matter what the papers said- we were now on the afternoon tour and there was absolutely nothing we could do about it- go-don't go- they didn't care. So, we went. It was fine. We saw lots of animals.

With a cruisetour- you will be assigned a tour bus time.

I have taken one bus tour, all other buses have been shuttle buses. People frequently have the WRONG assumptions about the buses. Neither are "tour" buses. They are both heavy duty school type buses. Now they have similar seats. They travel only ONE road.

ALL buses stop at what ever sightings pop up, anywhere along the 90+ mile Park Road. It is ALL about distance, the farther you go, the more you see- bottom line. This is probably more a scenic trip, with wildlife thrown in. :)

I have been touring Denali Park for many years, with many trips in. Last two years, both had two trips in, since it is a highlight for me. The "search" is always exciting and unknown until you experience it. Looking at the views via a TV screen is not of any interest to me. It "may" be to others. Something that needs to be decided.

I have seen more wildlife early and late. I always drive the Park Road repeatively during trips, as moose, bears and caribou are plentiful, if you have a couple hours to linger and look.

There was no TV on neither the tour bus nor the shuttle that we were on in August.

The tv screen is advertised to be on the TWT, not the other tours or shuttle buses. This statement is from the Reservations site.

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/tours/tundra-wilderness.aspx

>>The Tundra Wilderness Tour (PDF) offers the opportunity to bring the wildlife and scenery right inside your tour bus through drop-down video screens.>>

While it is more exciting to see the bears, moose, caribou up close and personal, the animals aren't always right by the road. The first bears we spotted were specks on a hillside, even with binoculars. The bus driver turned on that video camera and the bears appeared on the screens (like airplane monitors) and we could actually see the bears not specks, looked like we were real close to them. Later as we were returning, there was a lone juvenile bear right beside the road so we did get the up close and personal look too. To me it didn't matter if they were on the video screen, we knew they were there on that hillside and we were seeing them live. It sure beats NOT SEEING ANYTHING AT ALL.

While some posters on this board make numerous trips to Alaska, a lot of others only make that trip once, and wouldn't have another opportunity to see the wildlife. Everyone has to decide which is the best mode of travel for them. While the shuttle may be less expensive, it doesn't have that video camera to view those animals that might be missed.

JMO, but I had no interest in getting off the bus and walking on the road that we had just seen bear, moose, wolf and caribou walking on. :eek: As a matter of fact, I stayed real close to the bus when we even stopped for potty breaks. Guess I'm not very adventurous.

I would only recommend the Shuttle Bus tour. On our trip in August I would have been very disappointed if we had to turn around where the TWT does. If you go the Eileson Visitor Center there is a once in a lifetime view of the Mt. Mckinley if there is no cloud cover. If you are going to come to Denali, then why not see the most you can.

Our Shuttle Bus Tour driver was great and we saw so many animals and stopped and took pictures along the way. Our driver has been doing the shuttle bus tours for 18 years and it seems he knew every little detail about the park, how it changes each year, and the cycles that it goes through.

Just my opinion.

One thing to consider with respect to time is whether you get lucky enough to get a sunny day. Mount McKinley tends to make its own weather. I took the 9AM shuttle to Eileson during my trip. We stopped several times to see Mt. McKinley in the sunshine. By the time we got to Eileson, the sun shining on the snow of McKinley had generated quite a few clouds so the view was not as great as it was earlier.....

You can view my report at http://georgeanddoreen.blogspot.com/p/doreen-and-georges-adventures.html

Archived