The Great Blue Home

smalltowngirl504

There are a few companies that offer tours to it, but most are deep sea diving and full day. The only one I found with times was 6am to 5pm which wouldn't work coming in on a ship.

I swore I found one that took a sea plane there for a hefty fee, because I really wanted to go see it myself, but for the life of me I can't find it again I am sorry. Though I did do a quick search for Charter Pilots in Belize! I guess that prices could be considered... reasonable? The cheapest I found was $500 Belize Dollars and hour (about $250 US give or take) but yeah... I don't know how much it would be worth it to just fly over it and get a glimpse!

Hope this might help you. I did this trip and it was AWESOME!

Helicopter Tour over the Blue Hole, LightHouse Reef and adjoining atolls!

BlueHole.jpg

This adventure is with Javier’s Flying Service (website is same as name). They are based on San Pedro but have a satellite office at the Belize Municipal Airstrip that is only a 10 minute taxi ride from the Cruise Ship Terminal. They have a 3 passenger Cessna 172 ($550 total) and 5 passenger Cessna 206 ($865) fixed wing aircrafts. This rate brings the pp to $173-$185 if we fill one of the aircrafts.

Here is the email from Vern:

“The tour is about 1 hour long and from Belize City, they fly east over the Great Barrier Reef and various small islands. From there it is over open blue water for a short distance then across the Turneffe Atoll which is encircled with a reef with spectacular colors. From there it is another short distance over open water then to the Lighthouse Reef Atoll, where the Blue Hole is located.

We circle the Blue Hole a couple of times and then along the reef to Half Moon Caye which again has spectacular colors and back to Belize City on a slightly different path for more views of the Island and Atolls.”

Hope this might help you. I did this trip and it was AWESOME!

w/Javier's Flying Service. Vern and his wife Alisa are very responsive - will answer all of your questions. we will fly to San Pedro/Ambergris, get charter plane from there, and be returned to Belize City airstrip. as planned, we'll also have about 3hrs. to explore Ambergris Caye. TropicAir offers similar private charter, but we decided to go w/Javier's. Both worth checking out, if you really want to do this.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks A Million for the info!!!!!

we'll be doing the fly-over Dec. 8. on NCL Spirit out of NOLA Dec. 4. we might have 1 seat still available on our charter flight.

I believe that there is at least one other ship in port in Belize same day, Dec. 8. anyone interested in last seat, pls. email me at lap3333 at hotmail. thanks.

we'll be doing the fly-over Dec. 8. on NCL Spirit out of NOLA Dec. 4. we might have 1 seat still available on our charter flight.

I believe that there is at least one other ship in port in Belize same day, Dec. 8. anyone interested in last seat, pls. email me at lap3333 at hotmail. thanks.

Wish I was going!!

will be doing this fly-over, wed. dec. 7 vs. dec. 8 -- anyone interested in last seat? BeadBabe: that date better? would love to have you join us!

anyone on NCL SUN or SPIRIT interested, as I think both are in port Belize on Dec. 7?

BeadBabe: that date better? would love to have you join us!

anyone on NCL SUN or SPIRIT interested, as I think both are in port Belize on Dec. 7?

Sadly no, I won't be there til later, but thank you for asking! If I were you, I'd go post on the Roll Calls for the ships that will be in port also on those days. :D

Archived