BEWARE!! RCCL Cruise Care Insurance

One important "Other" situation to consider. Let's assume you paid for your insurance in full when you booked the cruise, quite a bit earlier than the final cruise oayment date. If you cancel your cruise for a "Non-covered" reason, like you have a huge expense that pops up and you need to cover or you just change your mind, you won't get anything from insurance (for non-covered items), but will get something back from Cruise line depending on when you cancel. But the kicker is you won't get anything back from the insurance company. So if you book the cruise 9 months ahead of time, buy the insurance, then cancel the cruise tow months later, you will get most of your cruise deposit refunded, back won't get a penny of the insurance. That happened with me on HAL a couple years back. Now, I get my insurance when I make my final cruise payment, when I am reasonably sure I am going.

OK, now you've freaked me out and made me look at the contract. I can't find that restriction. Can you point me to it?
I wondered that too. I am still suprised and hope that one in my party does not run into trouble on our upcoming cruise if by chance they need to cancel. Royal states that for an excluded restriction you would still qualify for the 75% cancel for any reason clause.

SPECIAL CRUISECARE CRUISE VACATION CANCELLATION ENHANCEMENT CRUISECARE “ANY REASON” CRUISE CREDITS……Up To 75% of the non-refundable pre-paid Cruise Vacation Cost Provided EXCLUSIVELY by Royal Caribbean International

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased CruiseCare, Royal Caribbean International will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your Cruise Vacation prepaid to Royal Caribbean International, for your use toward a future cruise. This additional enhancement is offered exclusively by Royal Caribbean International as a special service to guests that purchase this cruise ticket Cancellation Penalty Waiver Addendum. Certain restrictions on the use of these cruise credits (such as blackout periods) may apply. Credits are valid for one year from issue date, are not transferable, and have no cash value. To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must be given to Royal Caribbean International prior to the ship’s departure. Once you’ve cancelled with Royal Caribbean International, please contact the CruiseCare Help Line at 1-800-453-4022 regarding cruise credits.

Doesn't help you with airfare but at least your not out 100%

My question would be is if you make an additional payments as we do along the way I assume once I have paid in full our insurance is fully in affect? I don't wait until the last minute to paid in full so what I am getting out of this is once I pay in full no matter when and we get through 60 days with no medical conditions we would have the full force of the policy if something creeps up?

Also how does the accounting work, you have to call and ask to pay for the insurance only in a payment otherwise who is it to say your not just paying more of the balance of the cruise?? How do you get proof you actually paid the insurance portion?

BonVoyage

Dawna

My understanding is that if you get treated for or diagnosed within a specific time frame of paying for RC's insurance it becomes a pre-existing condition. If your treatment for the condition, ie medications change within in the time frame, they may not cover you. It is very extensive in the policy and good to talk to someone. Our TA explained it very thoroughly but I don't remember all of the details.

I hope this helps a little.

I believe the lesson here is to ask questions until you are comfortable with all of the information.

Berkely:

PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS

THE INSURER WILL NOT PAY UNDER COVERAGES IN PARTS A & B (EXCEPT

EMERGENCY EVACUATION AND REPATRIATION OF REMAINS) FOR ANY CLAIMS

ARISING FROM ANY INJURY, SICKNESS, OR OTHER CONDITION (INCLUDING

ANY CONDITION FROM WHICH DEATH ENSUES) AFFECTING YOURSELF, A

TRAVELING COMPANION, OR AN IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER BOOKED TO

TRAVEL WITH YOU WHICH, WITHIN THE SIXTY (60) DAY PERIOD BEFORE

YOUR TRIP CANCELLATION COVERAGE BEGAN UNDER THIS INSURANCE PLAN:

(A) FIRST MANIFESTED ITSELF, WORSENED, BECAME ACUTE, OR HAD

SYMPTOMS CAUSING A PERSON TO SEEK DIAGNOSIS, CARE, OR TREATMENT;

(B) REQUIRED TAKING PRESCRIBED DRUGS OR MEDICINE, UNLESS THE

CONDITION FOR WHICH THE PRESCRIBED DRUG OR MEDICINE WAS TAKEN

REMAINED CONTROLLED WITHOUT ANY CHANGE IN THE REQUIRED

PRESCRIPTION; OR © REQUIRED TREATMENT OR TREATMENT WAS

RECOMMENDED BY A PHYSICIAN.

PLEASE NOTE: ALL COVERED REASONS FOR CANCELLATION OR

INTERRUPTION OF YOUR CRUISE VACATION MUST FIRST OCCUR AFTER YOUR

EFFECTIVE DATE OF COVERAGE.

One important "Other" situation to consider. Let's assume you paid for your insurance in full when you booked the cruise, quite a bit earlier than the final cruise oayment date. If you cancel your cruise for a "Non-covered" reason, like you have a huge expense that pops up and you need to cover or you just change your mind, you won't get anything from insurance (for non-covered items), but will get something back from Cruise line depending on when you cancel. But the kicker is you won't get anything back from the insurance company. So if you book the cruise 9 months ahead of time, buy the insurance, then cancel the cruise tow months later, you will get most of your cruise deposit refunded, back won't get a penny of the insurance. That happened with me on HAL a couple years back. Now, I get my insurance when I make my final cruise payment, when I am reasonably sure I am going.

From Royal Caribbean's website regarding their CruiseCare Vacation Protection Plan, which also addresses payment of the plan and effective date:

Note: The plan cost is fully refundable if you are canceling outside of Royal Caribbean International's published penalty period. Prices are subject to change without notice. The plan cost may be paid at any time from deposit up to and including final payment; however, the CruiseCare Cancellation and Interruption Penalty Waiver takes effect only upon payment of the plan cost in addition to any required cruise deposit. Payment of your cruise fare deposit amount without the plan cost will not activate this program.

gpnfish, HAL's Protection Plan states that payment for the plan is due at the time of purchase and it is non-refundable.

One policy I recommend is TravelGuard's Gold Policy. It is Primary coverage and offers extensive coverage at a fair price, with important options also available. Children age 17 & under are covered at no additional cost, when related to and traveling with the primary insured.

Isn't insurance fascinating?! Regardless, it is important peace of mind. :)

Well with 3 upcoming cruises, one paid off, one almost paid off and the last sitting with just a deposit this is what Rich told me after he confirmed with a supervisor.

*Even though they will owe us money on our June reservation once we apply our Visa certificate they cannot take money already paid on the reservation and apply it to the insurance. :mad: So unless I am willing to pay $256 for the 4 of us now we won't have insurance until we top off our points for the Visa certificate and get those applied.

I personally thought you would be under a binder since payment isn't required until full payment. So glad the OP brought this up, really suprised myself. If I would have know when paying one of the many payments we have I would have asked it to be delagated toward the insurance.

BonVoyage

Dawna

So last week I made final payment on my Thanksgiving cruise. I have the cruise insurance through RC. The next day I went in for foot surgery. I am on crutches for 3 weeks. I assume all will be well by Thanksgiving...but now I realize this may be considered a pre-existing condition! I had surgery a day after I made final payment! So confusing!

So I guess if I have any complications and am still on crutches I HAVE to take the cruise!! Or go with the 75% credit towards future cruise. My travel agent advised me that I didn't need to pay for it till final payment and if anything happened to me between final and cruise I was covered. Seemed fine by me since I did not have any pre-existing conditions.

From Royal Caribbean's website regarding their CruiseCare Vacation Protection Plan, which also addresses payment of the plan and effective date:

Note: The plan cost is fully refundable if you are canceling outside of Royal Caribbean International's published penalty period.

gpnfish, HAL's Protection Plan states that payment for the plan is due at the time of purchase and it is non-refundable.

I am planning to book a cruise on Explorer next week. If I understand this correctly, if I pay my deposit and pay for the insurance when I book, and i need to cancel before final payment. I will get my deposit and insurance costs refunded.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, and we didn't know about until my father's recent illnesses, is pre-existing coverage for a non-traveling family member.

We talked with Steve at tripinsurancestore.com and he suggested a CSA Freestyle policy. It has to be purchased within 24 hours of final payment but does cover pre-existing conditions both for us and our non-traveling family members. http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/csa.shtml

It's important to read the fine print and talk to the company you're thinking of using to find out if your situation will be covered. It unfortunate that it all has to be so complicated.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

JMF - TravelGuard is all we use as well. I've never had to use it, but it always seems like they have the best options and pricing for us!

Gary

Berkely:

One policy I recommend is TravelGuard's Gold Policy. It is Primary coverage and offers extensive coverage at a fair price, with important options also available. Children age 17 & under are covered at no additional cost, when related to and traveling with the primary insured.

Isn't insurance fascinating?! Regardless, it is important peace of mind. :)

With the cancel for any reason, wouldn't you get 75% back no matter when you pay for it, or for any reason, including pre-existing conditions? At least it's not a total loss.

You don't get it back, you get a credit toward a future cruise, which you have to take within a year. Of course, if you cancel before final, you get 100% back. I assume that those in the U.K. and others who have non-refundable deposits also have other insurance rules.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, and we didn't know about until my father's recent illnesses, is pre-existing coverage for a non-traveling family member.

We talked with Steve at tripinsurancestore.com and he suggested a CSA Freestyle policy. It has to be purchased within 24 hours of final payment but does cover pre-existing conditions both for us and our non-traveling family members. http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/csa.shtml

It's important to read the fine print and talk to the company you're thinking of using to find out if your situation will be covered. It unfortunate that it all has to be so complicated.

Yeah, that's a tough one. We usually figure we'll fall back on the 75% credit if something happens to a family member within final payment. If something happens before, we'll ok with the cruise and will have to eat the cost of rescheduling airlines (would have to do that in either case).

Hope your dad is hanging in there.

Edited by critterchick

Yeah, that's a tough one. We usually figure we'll fall back on the 75% credit if something happens to a family member within final payment. If something happens before, we'll ok with the cruise and will have to eat the cost of rescheduling airlines (would have to do that in either case).

My dad is hanging in there. We're blessed for every day he's with us. Thanks for asking. One of my concerns is being covered for trip interruption if something happens while we're in Europe next month. Hopefully we won't have to find out what the insurance covers.

Hope you had a fantastic birthday yesterday. I know the Catalina Flyer isn't a cruise ship but at least you were "on the water".

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

I booked our cruise in July. I don't recall being asked if I wanted to add trip insurance through the cruiseline. Is there any way to check this in my cruises? Would it show up in there?

Thanks!

Your invoice should itemize your charges. If you booked through a travel agent and they have their own invoice that doesn't break it out separately, ask to see the RCI invoice. If you booked directly with RCI, ask them to send you one. If you booked online you can access the information on the website, but if you booked over the phone I believe that you'll need to call to get the information.

OK, now you've freaked me out and made me look at the contract. I can't find that restriction. Can you point me to it?

I looked too and I couldn't find anything about when payment is due if you want to purchase cancel for any reason through Royal.

I may have mistaken it with CSA Luxe: •The Cancel For Any Reason option is not available because the plan must be purchased within 1 days of your Initial Trip Payment Date.

Edited by marci22

You don't get it back, you get a credit toward a future cruise, which you have to take within a year. Of course, if you cancel before final, you get 100% back. I assume that those in the U.K. and others who have non-refundable deposits also have other insurance rules.

We are from the UK. We have an annual policy which covers us for travel world wide. We have to declare any pre- existing medical conditions before the policy is issued. Had to use it once when my OH sprained her ankle in Greece. Medical expenses are up to ten million pounds.

THe USA insurance seems much different to ours.

OK, this thread freaked me out when I read it a couple of days ago!!! I have a cruise booked on the Oasis for April 2012. When I booked (June 2011)I took the RCCL insurance. I paid for the deposit and insurance. It says so on my invoice. So I called my PVP at RCCL. She tells me she has the money in the account, but she hasn't paid the insurance. WTH? I "discussed" this with her for twenty minutes. She tells me she doesn't PAY for the insurance until final payment is made. I've cruised numerous times and usually take out my own insurance thru TG. What was I thinking? I'm an idiot! So, if I pay for the insurance now, it won't cover pre-existing, right, because it is not 14 days after initial booking. I can't re-book because of the above stating you can't do that just to push back the pre-existing clause! What a mess!!! I guess my only recourse is to cancel the insurance with Berkley and purchase a cover anything policy at a much higher price. Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention!!! I'm a seasoned cruiser, if this happened to me, being what I thought was totally informed I feel sorry for newbies.

I looked too and I couldn't find anything about when payment is due if you want to purchase cancel for any reason through Royal.

I may have mistaken it with CSA Luxe: •The Cancel For Any Reason option is not available because the plan must be purchased within 1 days of your Initial Trip Payment Date.

I think so.:)

We are from the UK. We have an annual policy which covers us for travel world wide. We have to declare any pre- existing medical conditions before the policy is issued. Had to use it once when my OH sprained her ankle in Greece. Medical expenses are up to ten million pounds.

THe USA insurance seems much different to ours.

Yes, it is, and not for the better.

OK, this thread freaked me out when I read it a couple of days ago!!! I have a cruise booked on the Oasis for April 2012. When I booked (June 2011)I took the RCCL insurance. I paid for the deposit and insurance. It says so on my invoice. So I called my PVP at RCCL. She tells me she has the money in the account, but she hasn't paid the insurance. WTH? I "discussed" this with her for twenty minutes. She tells me she doesn't PAY for the insurance until final payment is made. I've cruised numerous times and usually take out my own insurance thru TG. What was I thinking? I'm an idiot! So, if I pay for the insurance now, it won't cover pre-existing, right, because it is not 14 days after initial booking. I can't re-book because of the above stating you can't do that just to push back the pre-existing clause! What a mess!!! I guess my only recourse is to cancel the insurance with Berkley and purchase a cover anything policy at a much higher price. Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention!!! I'm a seasoned cruiser, if this happened to me, being what I thought was totally informed I feel sorry for newbies.

I don't think I'd panic just yet - it depends on what you need/expect from your insurance.

It seems to me that RCI's policy doesn't cover pre-existing conditions at all. They're specifically excluded under Parts A and B of the policy. They define one as:

“Pre-Existing Condition” means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion, Business Partner or Immediate Family Member who is scheduled or booked to travel with you:

1) received or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or

2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.

Item 2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60-day period before coverage is effective under this Policy.

So the 14 days doesn't apply to RCI coverage - you're not covered if you (or your travelling companion, business partner or family member) have a pre-existing condition. But you would get a 75% credit toward a future cruise if you had to cancel for an uncovered reason, so it's not all bad.

Here's the actual policy if you're interested:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCICruiseCare.pdf

I see it this way: if you have to cancel before final payment, there's no penalty from the cruiseline (airline travel is a different issue). If you have to cancel after final payment, you're still not going to be out the full amount of your cruise unless you're within 14 days of sailing, so that 75% may cover your loss.

So before you pull the trigger, make sure that whatever policy you're looking at will cover everything - many won't - and that the costs and benefits are comparable.

Edited by critterchick

She tells me she doesn't PAY for the insurance until final payment is made..

Wondering if you had canceled prior to final payment if you would have gotten your insurance money back or would they have said no refunds on insurance since you had coverage from the time you bought it? Would you have had enough smarts to say "Let me see a hard copy of the policy with the date beginning coverage? Did you ask that question? Do they send you a separate piece of paper with your policy on it like when you buy third party?

They could get in big trouble if that is what they would do. Sorta reminds me of those "dead peasant" life insurance policies that WalMart and other companies were buying on their peon employees naming them as the beneficiary.

Tucker in Texas

There was an insurance agent that posted a lengthy explanation of travel insurance and pre-existing conditions (a long time ago).

What I got from his very enlightening post...was that cruise line insurance doesn't cover pre-existing conditions at all...because it doesn't take effect until final payment...when you actually start having something financially to lose.

We are sailing with my mom in December. At age 84, independent insurance becomes prohibitively expensive for seniors. Since everyone must take cruise line insurance, we've all taken it. It's just one of those "comfort" things. Hopefully "things" would be covered...if not there is the 75% credit and they could try again.

When DH & I sail, we purchase independent insurance. It is a little more comprehensive for coverage...and we are still of an age where it is cheaper.

Edited by Coralc

It seems that you cannot win with RCCL/Berkley no matter what you do!! Unfortunately, I had to make final payment on the cruise that we booked to replace the cancelled cruise while we were waiting for Berkley to get back to us. So, I am stuck with them for that cruise also. I have another cruise booked for Feb., which I will be taking the RCCL Cruise Care off and adding an outside policy, and will be getting outside coverage for any future cruises.

Soooo, with what you are saying, it doesn't even do any good to say you want to pay the deposit and the premium. In that case, you are just giving them more money to sit in their account until final payment time!!! I thought I was a seasoned cruiser too! Thought if I said I wanted to take the insurance right at the time I made the booking, taking THEIR insurance, making my deposit, having NOTHING said about having to pay any extra money for the premium that very moment, then anything PRIOR TO BOOKING would be considered pre-existing! WRONG!!!

So, if you have your cruise booked, then go back now and say you want to pay the premium after the fact from when you paid your deposit, are they going to put a date on your invoice for proof of when you paid the premium?!?!?! I had a date on my invoice showing the insurance was added the day we booked the cruise. That is why I thought the pre-existing condition would have to have been prior to booking.

I think the whole process is very deceitful on their part. Just look at all the premiums they have made off of just me alone, not to mention everyone else, over the years. If this had not happened to us, I would have still been taking their insurance for years to come.

From what I have been told NOW and my understanding is.....Your insurance is not paid until final payment. Therefore, you DIDN'T take the insurance until final payment (so why did they even ask me at booking)! So, if anything happened that caused you to have to see a Dr., was diagnosed, treated, etc. within 60 days from the date you took the insurance (final payment), then it is pre-existing and will not be covered. If you had any condition prior to the 60 days before payment, then it would have had to have been "cured" before the 60 day mark.

This is all very confusing, and they know this, and that is why they want to keep you in the dark as long as possible. That way they can get more money from everyone and then work it to their benefit when something happens.

My new way of thinking is, if there is any doubt, cancel the whole cruise before final payment and rebook at the last minute. I hate to do this, we love to get our cabin of choice and look forward to future cruises. Also, with no OBC or refunds after final payment, this is another reason waiting until the last minute is becoming more appealing.

Good luck with your situation. I'm just glad you found out how it really works before you had to use it!

It seems that you cannot win with RCCL/Berkley no matter what you do!! Unfortunately, I had to make final payment on the cruise that we booked to replace the cancelled cruise while we were waiting for Berkley to get back to us. So, I am stuck with them for that cruise also. I have another cruise booked for Feb., which I will be taking the RCCL Cruise Care off and adding an outside policy, and will be getting outside coverage for any future cruises.

Soooo, with what you are saying, it doesn't even do any good to say you want to pay the deposit and the premium. In that case, you are just giving them more money to sit in their account until final payment time!!! I thought I was a seasoned cruiser too! Thought if I said I wanted to take the insurance right at the time I made the booking, taking THEIR insurance, making my deposit, having NOTHING said about having to pay any extra money for the premium that very moment, then anything PRIOR TO BOOKING would be pre-existing! WRONG!!!

So, if you have your cruise booked, then go back now and say you want to pay the premium after the fact from when you paid your deposit, are they going to put a date on your invoice for proof of when you paid the premium?!?!?! I had a date on my invoice showing the insurance was added the day we booked the cruise. That is why I thought the pre-existing condition would have to have been prior to booking.

I think the whole process is very deceitful on their part. Just look at all the premiums they have made off of just me alone, not to mention everyone else, over the years. If this had not happened to us, I would have still been taking their insurance for years to come.

From what I have been told NOW and my understanding is.....Your insurance is not paid until final payment. Therefore, you DIDN'T take the insurance until final payment (so why did they even ask me at booking)! So, if anything happened that caused you to have to see a Dr., was diagnosed, treated, etc. within 60 days from the date you took the insurance (final payment), then it is pre-existing and will not be covered. If you had any condition prior to the 60 days before payment, then it would have had to have been "cured" before the 60 day mark.

This is all very confusing, and they know this, and that is why they want to keep you in the dark as long as possible. That way they can get more money from everyone and then work it to their benefit when something happens.

My new way of thinking is, if there is any doubt, cancel the whole cruise before final payment and rebook at the last minute. I hate to do this, we love to get our cabin of choice and look forward to future cruises. Also, with no OBC or refunds after final payment, this is another reason waiting until the last minute is becoming more appealing.

Good luck with your situation. I'm just glad you found out how it really works before you had to use it!

Sharon thanks for putting this into perspective. You explained it very well. I also thought about re-booking but if you go a few posts back someone said you can't do that either. (a rule designed for people who had a pre existing and wanted to set back the date). I'm totally exasperated. Im ready to cancel the whole thing. Thanks for all of the advice. There is a reason insurance companies have the biggest, most beautiful buildings lining the streets of our great cities.

We have a cruise scheduled for Feb on NOS and booked it thru RCCL. I called them yesterday to add the insurance and pay for it. The rep said she couldn't do that until final payment. When i insisted that it could be done she sent me to the Resolutions Dept. The rep at the Resolutions was able to do that. They have to make a special notation that ensures your payment goes to thevinsurance and not the cruise itself. You learn something new everyday- and this is after 15+ cruise.

We have a cruise scheduled for Feb on NOS and booked it thru RCCL. I called them yesterday to add the insurance and pay for it. The rep said she couldn't do that until final payment. When i insisted that it could be done she sent me to the Resolutions Dept. The rep at the Resolutions was able to do that. They have to make a special notation that ensures your payment goes to thevinsurance and not the cruise itself. You learn something new everyday- and this is after 15+ cruise.

Make SURE you get it in writing and it specifically says the money was applied to the insurance and not just a payment on the OTHER parts of the cruise! It's a shame you have to go through all this!