Concern about Eastern Med cruise

louise44

We booked our October Eastern Med cruise some time ago....it seems that all the places we will be visiting - Italy, Greece and Turkey - are becoming increasingly "unsettled" and, honestly, I'm not so sure that we made a good choice. I would really appreciate some thoughts on this..we're on the Equinox, stopping in Santorini, Ephesus, Athens and Naples.

Thanks a lot!

We booked our October Eastern Med cruise some time ago....it seems that all the places we will be visiting - Italy, Greece and Turkey - are becoming increasingly "unsettled" and, honestly, I'm not so sure that we made a good choice. I would really appreciate some thoughts on this..we're on the Equinox, stopping in Santorini, Ephesus, Athens and Naples.

Thanks a lot!

To be honest, from here in the UK I don't understand your concerns as we don't have any news over here on the BBC / newspapers etc about any unrest (to any great extent).... unless I've missed it.

We have been home for just under 4 weeks having visited all of the ports above and had an amazing time. I think Europe generally is becoming unsettled at the minute because of the economic climate and I guess that is affecting everyone. PLEASE don't worry too much - you will have a fantastic holiday and see some amazing places.

Happy cruising

:)

I would not worry...

The "unrest" in those locations are mostly public protests over economy and such, not uprisings like Egypt and Siria.

If things get serious, the Cruiselines will change ports...they don't want anything happening to passengers (bad for business!)

Worst case is that public transit is down...

Or you have to change an excursion at the last minute.

If you book Cruiseline Excursions you are pretty safe and will not pay if canceled due to any disruptions

and in my experience, if you book private tours in most of these locations, they will run, even during public strikes...it's still a free market economy and private tour operators want to make money!

perhaps...a strike in athens will keep all the cab drivers away that practically chase you down :D

Did a RT out of Athens last year & when we retuned to Athens, most major tourist sites were closed due to strikes. Luck, we stayed 3 days post cruise, so we worked around the strikes. Don't worry, everything will be fine, if not, you get to stay a little longer in a fabulous place.

I just found out that for our Med cruise this April, the museums in Florence will be closed due to a holiday, bummer, but there will be plenty of things to do & see.

If you are in the U.S., what about the strains in your area? Do you feel 100% safe there? No economical or job problems in your area?

Do i feel 100% safe in the US, no...not all places

Is that due to the economy, no...we have always had unsafe places (as do almost all countries)

Are we having massive protests and shutdowns in the US, no....not yet!

But do economic protests in any country give me concern to travel? no, until they turn into broad protests of violence!

I think it was a valid question, especially if someone has not traveled to that part of the world before, but with a little research (asking questions) people will realize that there is no reason to change vacation plans...many European countries go on strikes (especially in public sector jobs) than in the US, so it's not something we are used to....so just different. It does/can cause issues with your travel, but not risky!

The next strike in Greece is scheduled for Oct. 6. Most strikes are planned ahead and are done, in many cases, as "media events". As noted, the "sizzle" in the media tends to be worse than the actually reality or impact. Cruise lines are good at monitoring things and making needed adjustments, if needed. Private bus lines and private drivers "get it" and are working, not striking, in most cases.

You can check for lots more details and background on Greece issues in this area during the past year or so at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1145757

Generally, things are "safe" in Europe and you should not have problems in most cases with reasonable care and planning.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now over 40,384 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Just got back yesterday from the 10 day Equinox cruise to the same places you will be visiting. Had a fabulous time. Took a ship tour in Athens because I didn't know if there would be protests. Well they did have a taxi strike the day we were in port. It did not affect private tour drivers. The streets were not crowded at all because of no taxis. Walked all around the Plaka for three hours.

Shop owners said they were happy to see tourist , it helps their economy. Naples even had the garage off the streets in the area near the port.

We loved all the ports, always felt welcomed, safe and met some great people in each port.

Relax and have a great cruise.

Cruise line will avoid dangerous places. Strikes can happen anywhere at anytime. I've been a victim of strikes in Italy. Always take your passport/ship agent's phone number and a credit card with you when you leave the ship. I haven't missed the ship due to a strike, but I have met people who have been left behind.

Where on Earth did you hear about EU countries becoming dangerous?!:eek::rolleyes: Please don't watch FOX "news" for any objective reporting...

The EU is NOT in danger of a collapse, is NOT on the brink of a revolution and is NOT paralyzed by strikes! Neither is Turkey, a country with an ever growing economy, totally secular (even more so than the USA) and modern!

I am frankly getting annoyed by these doom-preachers who only fuel criminal speculants. The truth is that the EU is in a MUCH better shape than the USA. (NOT aimed at the OP, merely at some media, inluding European).

So please, stop worrying, enjoy the Eastern Mediterannean, it is a fantastic region.

Cruise line will avoid dangerous places. Strikes can happen anywhere at anytime. I've been a victim of strikes in Italy. Always take your passport/ship agent's phone number and a credit card with you when you leave the ship. I haven't missed the ship due to a strike, but I have met people who have been left behind.

Azulann: Just got back yesterday from the 10 day Equinox cruise to the same places you will be visiting. Had a fabulous time. Took a ship tour in Athens because I didn't know if there would be protests. Well they did have a taxi strike the day we were in port. It did not affect private tour drivers. The streets were not crowded at all because of no taxis. Walked all around the Plaka for three hours. Shop owners said they were happy to see tourist ' date=' it helps their economy. Naples even had the garage off the streets in the area near the port. We loved all the ports, always felt welcomed, safe and met some great people in each port. [/quote']

Great above updates. Based on all that I've read and experienced, it's also true. Folks in Greece are very friendly and most "get it" on the value of treating tourists well. The unions and political folks in Greece and other countries can be a different story, but I won't go there. The bottom line is that in most all cases, things will work out OK and that the cruise line works hard at monitoring situations, being able to adjust as needed, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now over 40,624 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The last thing these countries in financial trouble need is for the tourists to stop coming. I am sure you will have no trouble at all except for the possible strikes in Greece but then Greece (Athens) has always been prone to being affected by strikes (well for the last few years anyway).

The cruise lines will not take you into any areas of danger in any event. I would, however, book excursions in places you are worried about through the cruise line and then you are covered.

The weather will be great in October; still warm but not the very high heat of summer:)

We are booked on Equinox next month. We keep up with the news, and I also keep up with what people who have been there report here on CC. We are looking forward to the cruise and the port visits. I'm not too sure what the concern is. If there are strikes that might affect us, we'll have a backup plan. If we wait for everything to be perfect in that region before we travel there, we'll have a very long wait. Part of the reason I travel is to learn. Life is short. Get out there.

It has been a couple of decades since we lived in Europe but overall their big cities were safer than ours.

Our Mediterranean cruise next month canceled Egypt a while ago. We now have 4 days in Israel. Recently they canceled one of the ports and spent the entire 4 days in the safer of the two. That was temporary and they now stop at both.

I'll admit, we are worried that Celebrity will cancel Israel. If they do so, it will be for a darn good reason and I'll support that decision.

Archived