On-line T.A.'s - Gifts???

cruzaddict

This is the first time I have used an on-line travel agency to book my cruise. In the past,my T.A.'s would send me a bottle of wine or something like that to my cabin. Has anyone out there receive a gift from their on-line T.A.?????

Nope, never from an online T.A. Most of the online T.A.s you would use (assuming you are using an online T.A. because they had the lowest price) are going to be discounters of some sort. There probably aren't going to be a lot of gifts and extras from a large online discounter the way there might be from a small brick-and-mortar agent.

This is the first time I have used an on-line travel agency to book my cruise. In the past,my T.A.'s would send me a bottle of wine or something like that to my cabin. Has anyone out there receive a gift from their on-line T.A.?????

Mine does! I was pleasantly surprised when I had something from her in my cabin when I got onboard. She also gets really good rates, I think I'll keep her!:)

Terri

We use a t.a. and get the normal goodies- wine, etc, but our friends who booked through "one of those large wherehouse stores" got a $250. gift card to said store. Hmmmm. That would probably by at least five of those bottles of wine she sent, and here I'm being conservative! But I like knowing that the person who booked my cruise might have actually sailed on the ship, might answer my calls right away, and might have a long history working with the cruiseline. Guess it all depends on what benefits you value. In fairness to on-line agencies, I'm sure there are good ones, and that, in the future, some of the differences between the two ways of booking will diminish.

I agree with Blazer Boy. I do use an online TA, but she was highly recommended by friends who had used her extensively. I would definitely investigate before I blindly chose one! The TA I use has soooo much knowledge of the ships and which cabins are good, she has been so helpful in helping me plan cruises. She's not just some unknown on the internet, I've met her in person and we talk on the phone when I have questions. I didn't want it to look like I just picked an unknown at random, I like to know who I'm dealing with, but as you can tell from my earlier post, I couldn't be happier!

Terri

I agree. While I am a bargain hunter and I do like a cheap price, I also figure in what I'm getting from a ta. I, too, like someone knowledgeable who is available and cheerfully answers my questions. And as a single I have some special needs.

I love my ta (who is the same as Terri's) and don't plan to change!

I also have used an online T.A. for the past 6 years. I feel as if she is an old friend at this point...even though she across the country. We've had excellent service, and has provided a wealth of information. I also pass along all the tips I read on the boards as well. But the biggest perk is the prices she seems to find us. They have been amazing! She always has wine and flowers waiting for us in our cabin. If you find a winner, they become invaluable...

Karyn

I also have used an online T.A. for the past 6 years. I feel as if she is an old friend at this point...even though she across the country. We've had excellent service, and has provided a wealth of information. I also pass along all the tips I read on the boards as well. But the biggest perk is the prices she seems to find us. They have been amazing! She always has wine and flowers waiting for us in our cabin. If you find a winner, they become invaluable...

Karyn

Karyn,

I'll be right over when we get onboard with a cork screw!!

Liz:rolleyes:

Your on Liz....we just need to make the days fly faster!!!

Karyn

Karyn,

that would be nice except there is still too much to do! Things like Marriage cert etc............ Ring engraving...

Dog health certs......

packing, buying.........:eek:

Oh and I forgot! Can I even bring a cork screw onboard or is it like the airlines??

Liz

We have used the same "brick and mortar" for 9 years, have booked 7 cruises as well as several non-cruise vacations through her and have never once received a gift. In addition, I noticed that the price she quoted us for our upcoming cruise on the Horizon was the same as I later saw on Celebrity's website! We are pleased with her service but I'm wondering after reading this thread and others if we should look elsewhere - I'm not as upset about the gifts as I am the cruise price -- is this the norm or should we shop around???

I would definitely shop around. There are still TAs out there, because of the volume of business they do with Celebrity, that will beat the prices on the Celebrity website. and give you a bottle of wine for your cruise.

We have used the same "brick and mortar" for 9 years, have booked 7 cruises as well as several non-cruise vacations through her and have never once received a gift. In addition, I noticed that the price she quoted us for our upcoming cruise on the Horizon was the same as I later saw on Celebrity's website! We are pleased with her service but I'm wondering after reading this thread and others if we should look elsewhere - I'm not as upset about the gifts as I am the cruise price -- is this the norm or should we shop around???

Generally I will book a cruise on the Cruise lines website then send emails to the various online TA's asking them what price they can offer me for the same room. I pick the best price and go. I am not paying for their knowledge, only want them to get me a better price.

With that said, this last TA I used called me to explain about the insurance and the differences as to when and who I buy it through. Never once asked me to buy it, actually talked me out of buying it right then (I had already booked the cruise prior) and told me to wait until it was time for final payment. Nice unsolicited advice.

They also sent us 2 Celebrity t-shirts and a $200 refund after I mentioned that the price went down on the Celebrity Web site.

But guess what? I'll still book the next cruise through the cruise line site then "go out for bids". But if they are even close to the best price, they'll get my business.

Duane

We have not received anything but a discounted price from online TAs, and now not a discount either.
DON'T let the rumors discourage you from shopping. There are still some OUTSTANDING values out there from well known on-line TA's that have been servicing Celebrity customers for some time now. The pricing policy change hasn't shut down competition. In a post elsewhere, I provided an example to demonstrate this, noting that > $1000/pp savings vs. Celebrity's current web price are still possible on a July 2, 2005 (to further demonstrate that this is not a Happy Hour last minute special deal) Celebrity cruise on a certain M-Class ship if you use the right TA.

I agree. While I am a bargain hunter and I do like a cheap price, I also figure in what I'm getting from a ta. I, too, like someone knowledgeable who is available and cheerfully answers my questions. And as a single I have some special needs.

I love my ta (who is the same as Terri's) and don't plan to change!

I often select my sailing and then do a ***** post for the best fare, but since I often travel solo also...can you share your TA name/contact with me? email: Lckypnny at aol dot com

thanks

Generally I will book a cruise on the Cruise lines website then send emails to the various online TA's asking them what price they can offer me for the same room. I pick the best price and go. I am not paying for their knowledge, only want them to get me a better price.

With that said, this last TA I used called me to explain about the insurance and the differences as to when and who I buy it through. Never once asked me to buy it, actually talked me out of buying it right then (I had already booked the cruise prior) and told me to wait until it was time for final payment. Nice unsolicited advice.

They also sent us 2 Celebrity t-shirts and a $200 refund after I mentioned that the price went down on the Celebrity Web site.

But guess what? I'll still book the next cruise through the cruise line site then "go out for bids". But if they are even close to the best price, they'll get my business.

Duane

That is good advice if you don't need/want a waiver of pre-existing medical conditions and/or financial default of the carrier (air or cruiseline). If you do want these be sure to check the specific policy to determine when the policy must be purchased to include these 2 important items.

We use our T.A. after we have researched all other online sites. We tell her what we have found and she ALWAYS matches it...sometimes it's a California residence and senior (yikes!) rate. She is an online T.A., but I know her agency does a lot of business with Celebrity. Her agency has had cocktail parties onboard, and on one Celebrity cruise our table mates had all booked their cruise with this agency. She always keeps in close touch with us (calls if the rates drop...in past years), and follows up on everything. This past Dec. she booked a cruise for my daughter and her boyfriend, and quoted the wrong rate ($300 lower). She realized the mistake and "ate" the difference.

Needless to say, our loyalty to her is limitless...We respect the way she handled it, and will do business with her always.

We value good service...integrity...and good value!

Karyn

Archived