Rome Hotel

threeoverfour

I have been trying to decipher the existing Rome hotel threads and tripadvisor with minimal luck. We had hoped to book the Hotel Sonya with a group of others from our roll call but they are sold out. We'd like to find a decent hotel that is close to all the sites. This is our first trip to Europe and I know the hotels will be different than North America but we'd still like to find a nice, clean, comfortable hotel in a safe area within walking distance to the termini, Colloseum, etc. In Fort Lauderdale, we normally stay at the Hyatt Place 17th Street and in San Juan we've stayed at the Intercontinental and Sheraton so I guess we'd use those hotels as American references for the cleanliness, appearance, etc. of the type of hotel we're after. I understand the rooms and hotels will be smaller, etc. in Rome but I just wanted to distinguish what we're after. Basically, we don't need the Ritz but don't really want the Travelodge either.

You didn't offer a price range so it's hard to make suggestions.

At the higher end of the scale, smack dead center in the historic area, is the Grand Hotel Minerva (web site here: http://www.grandhoteldelaminerve.com/).

Slightly less per night in the same area is the Albergo del Senato (web site here: http://www.albergodelsenato.it/).

A couple of blocks away is the Albergo Santa Chiara (web site here: http://www.albergosantachiara.com/english/_).

Thanks for your quick reply. I purposely didn't suggest a price range but rather gave some examples of other hotels that we've enjoyed so that we can see what options are available and then go from there. Obviously we'd like the best possible hotel for the least amount of money. The Hotel Sonya seemed like the gem we're after but unfortunately everyone found it before us.

I'll be staying at Hotel Sonya next March because I like to try different places and I need a place near Termini for one night. I've been reading good things about it too, but I can assure you that it's not really equivalent to a Hyatt or Sheraton.

Rome hotels are expensive. The ones Eurocruiser listed are good examples of the price range in one of the (IMO) better locations in Rome. However, depending on your priorities, there are good locations in less central locations that cost less per night, if you are willing to walk a bit further or learn the public transportation system. And there are less expensive hotels even in the central areas if you are willing to make the trade-off of fewer hotel services available, smaller rooms, older decor, etc.

You can't go wrong with any of the hotels that Euro Cruiser suggested. If I could stay anywhere in Rome it would be the Albergo del Senato. I have read about it for years. It is to pricey for me though. I don't even like the location of the Hotel Sonya as the Termini area is pretty seedy..The list Euro Cruiser gave you is of hotels in much better areas.

I'll be staying at Hotel Sonya next March because I like to try different places and I need a place near Termini for one night. I've been reading good things about it too, but I can assure you that it's not really equivalent to a Hyatt or Sheraton.

Rome hotels are expensive. The ones Eurocruiser listed are good examples of the price range in one of the (IMO) better locations in Rome. However, depending on your priorities, there are good locations in less central locations that cost less per night, if you are willing to walk a bit further or learn the public transportation system. And there are less expensive hotels even in the central areas if you are willing to make the trade-off of fewer hotel services available, smaller rooms, older decor, etc.

Thanks for your reply. The hotel in FLL is actually the Hyatt Place which is a step down from the Hyatt...kind of like Courtyard by Marriott, Amerisuites and even Holiday Inn Express (I know those aren't all exactly the same, just pulling out names that are comparable in my mind). We are willing to trade off walking or using public transportation but the older decor is a definite no for us. I know for many it doesn't matter but for us it just spoils the "feel" of the vacation. I do love the 3 that were mentioned and may book one of them but if we can get something close to what those are like for a lower price, that would be even better.

Another one I thought of that I have not been to, but have heard wonderful things about from folks here as well as others I know, is the Hotel ****onale. It's a few blocks away from the Pantheon but still well in the center of the historic district: http://www.hotel****onale.it/

Thanks, euro. You are a great resource. The name was starred out so I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps you could just let me know what the starred out letters are. Thanks.

You can't go wrong with any of the hotels that Euro Cruiser suggested. If I could stay anywhere in Rome it would be the Albergo del Senato. I have read about it for years. It is to pricey for me though. I don't even like the location of the Hotel Sonya as the Termini area is pretty seedy..The list Euro Cruiser gave you is of hotels in much better areas.

I wouldn't necessarily say the area is seedy any longer (at least that's been my impression on my last couple of visits), but much of it is not very charming.

However, I'm curious to stay here and see how it is personally. It is convenient for what I want to do on my one-day pass through from Naples (National Museum at Palazzo Massimo alle Terme), and for my arrival from Naples and departure early am the next day for FCO.

The same applies for the Colosseum/Monti location. It's actually not a bad location -- it just depends on your priorities. For a first-time visitor perhaps not the most recommended. However, if (like me) you are primarily interested in ancient Rome, the location makes a lot of sense. You're close to the Colosseum, the Forums (both the ancient one and the Imperial ones), Palatine Hill, Trajan's market, Largo Argentina, Circus Maximus, Forum Boarium, Marcellus' Theatre, Capitoline Museum........I could go on and on. Not to mention the ease of hopping on the metro to get the train to Ostia Antica. And there are good restaurants in the area, a bit less touristy (and less $$$) than the area around the Pantheon.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Pantheon and Albergo del Senato is still my favorite hotel in Rome -- I'm staying there next month. But sometimes one should also look at areas/hotels that fit with one's schedule while in Rome.

Thanks, euro. You are a great resource. The name was starred out so I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps you could just let me know what the starred out letters are. Thanks.

Unfortunately, the Italian spelling for the word "national" includes a German word that won't make it past the auto offense checker. The hotel is named Na*ionale, after the street of the same name. You ought to be able to figure out the name with only one letter missing.

Unfortunately, the Italian spelling for the word "national" includes a German word that won't make it past the auto offense checker. The hotel is named Na*ionale, after the street of the same name. You ought to be able to figure out the name with only one letter missing.

Got it. Thanks.

I have been trying to decipher the existing Rome hotel threads and tripadvisor with minimal luck. ... This is our first trip to Europe and I know the hotels will be different than North America but we'd still like to find a nice, clean, comfortable hotel in a safe area within walking distance to the termini, Colloseum, etc. ... Basically, we don't need the Ritz but don't really want the Travelodge either.

We stayed at Hotel Artemide located on Via Na*ionale, near Termini. It is a very nice place, and they have a wonderful breakfast included.

Our room was very comfortable and quiet, the staff was helpful and we have recommended it to our friends, who have also stayed there.

Hotel Artemide gets high marks on Trip Advisor. Check it out:

http://www.hotelartemide.it/

Enjoy your visit to Rome!

We stayed at Hotel Artemide located on Via Na*ionale, near Termini. It is a very nice place, and they have a wonderful breakfast included.

Our room was very comfortable and quiet, the staff was helpful and we have recommended it to our friends, who have also stayed there.

Hotel Artemide gets high marks on Trip Advisor. Check it out:

http://www.hotelartemide.it/

Enjoy your visit to Rome!

Also a nice option though it does look a bit pricey for our couple days. Thank you.

We have come across a couple through tripadvisor that seem pretty decent - Rafaello and Abruzzi. Hotel Abruzzi seems like it might have a better location right across from the Pantheon. Can anyone comment on these hotels?

I hadn't looked at the reviews for Hotel Abruzzi recently -- several years ago they weren't so great, but after reading recent Tripadvisor reviews they seem to be more highly praised now. The location is one of the best. However, when I compared the prices with a couple of other hotels in the Pantheon area for this fall, they weren't much lower either, so if you're looking for a bargain, this may not be it. (Then again, if you're booking well in advance, perhaps the rates are lower.)

I know that another poster (CathyCruises) has stayed at Rafaello and has said that while it wasn't perfect, she was very happy with it for the price and the location.

While not very close to Termini, we are staying at the Hotel Grifo. Excellent reviews on TA and got it for a very good price.

The reviews aren't bad, but if you look at the overall ranking, it's not very high compared with some other hotels that have been mentioned in this discussion.

You might want to check out Hotel Smeraldo. We stayed there 3 years ago and liked it a lot. The location is great being only 1/2 block from Campo De Fiori and the prices on booking dot com are very good and include breakfast.We like to try different hotels otherwise we would definitely be staying there this year.

Don't let the name fool you. All european hotels that are labeled as Best Western are owned locally but must meet certain requirements to be part of the association. I have stayed in them in Italy, Austria and France . They have been wonderful, the one we stayed at in Caen was really neat with a historical and more modern section. They are all unique. We lived in Germany for a couple of years and traveled pretty extensively. I'm looking for one now in Rome and Venice for our next pre/post cruise.

I hadn't looked at the reviews for Hotel Abruzzi recently -- several years ago they weren't so great, but after reading recent Tripadvisor reviews they seem to be more highly praised now. The location is one of the best. However, when I compared the prices with a couple of other hotels in the Pantheon area for this fall, they weren't much lower either, so if you're looking for a bargain, this may not be it. (Then again, if you're booking well in advance, perhaps the rates are lower.)

I know that another poster (CathyCruises) has stayed at Rafaello and has said that while it wasn't perfect, she was very happy with it for the price and the location.

Thanks for your feedback. I wouldn't say we are necessarily looking for a bargain. Just want to be in the best location for a. getting from the airport, b. seeing all the sites and c. getting to the cruise port. We had a bad experience once with a decently rated hotel on tripadvisor that was definitely NOT and we are now extra cautious. I guess we are trying to find the Holiday Inn Express of Rome. A nice, safe place to stay with relatively modern decor and a decent breakfast thrown in is a plus.

Thanks for your feedback. I wouldn't say we are necessarily looking for a bargain. Just want to be in the best location for a. getting from the airport, b. seeing all the sites and c. getting to the cruise port. We had a bad experience once with a decently rated hotel on tripadvisor that was definitely NOT and we are now extra cautious. I guess we are trying to find the Holiday Inn Express of Rome. A nice, safe place to stay with relatively modern decor and a decent breakfast thrown in is a plus.

I guess I'm just having trouble understanding exactly what you are looking for. :o The Pantheon area, while excellent as a base for seeing all the sites, does not meet your criteria of being convenient for transportation from the airport or to the cruiseport if you mean, as I assume, that you'll use public transportation. It's not that it's bad, just not terribly convenient....

Maybe it would be easier if you avoid trying to make comparisons to American hotels. I've read too many reviews where folks were unhappy because hotels in Europe are so different. Rooms are smaller, in many hotels decor is not changed as often, service is professional and courteous but not necessarily warm, etc.

Comparing American hotels to European hotels is sort of like comparing apples to oranges (or, more aptly, like comparing New York pizza to Rome pizza). :D

Another one I thought of that I have not been to, but have heard wonderful things about from folks here as well as others I know, is the Hotel ****onale. It's a few blocks away from the Pantheon but still well in the center of the historic district: http://www.hotel****onale.it/

We have booked this hotel for our visit in October. It was recommended in Rick Steve's Rome, and got good reviews on Trip Advisor. Some of the comments: "quiet location", "good continental breakfast", "1 minute to the Pantheon, 15 minutes to the Colosseum and Forum, 10 minutes to Piazza Navona."

Archived