Rome Hotel

threeoverfour

I guess I'm just having trouble understanding exactly what you are looking for. :o The Pantheon area, while excellent as a base for seeing all the sites, does not meet your criteria of being convenient for transportation from the airport or to the cruiseport if you mean, as I assume, that you'll use public transportation. It's not that it's bad, just not terribly convenient....

Maybe it would be easier if you avoid trying to make comparisons to American hotels. I've read too many reviews where folks were unhappy because hotels in Europe are so different. Rooms are smaller, in many hotels decor is not changed as often, service is professional and courteous but not necessarily warm, etc.

Comparing American hotels to European hotels is sort of like comparing apples to oranges (or, more aptly, like comparing New York pizza to Rome pizza). :D

My apologies but I really don't have my bearings on Rome at all. I have just booked this cruise a couple days ago and have never been to Europe so I don't really know what I am up against as far as transportation from the airport, where to stay in Rome, etc. I have been doing research but quite frankly find it confusing at this time. The only reason I compare American hotels is because that is all I know and I guess I consider it a good reference or comparable for most people. If there are any Rome cruising "experts" who have done this numerous times and can provide some solid advice, I'd love to hear it.

I've stayed in numerous hotels in Rome and cruised from Rome several times.

Are you taking public transportation from FCO to Rome and from Rome to the port? Is being close to the station the important thing? And what is your budget? Are you willing to take a taxi from the station to your hotel or do you want to walk with your luggage?

Termini area is convenient for transportation and also has more reasonably priced hotels. As I said before, though, the area itself is pretty charmless.

The majority of hotels in Rome include breakfast with your room, although if you book through an American hotel consolidator site they sometimes do not include it. The best prices are usually offered when you contact the hotel directly with your request for a room.

If being near Termini is your major criteria, you can go to Venere.com, a site that lets you view Rome hotels by area. Select Termini (I think they divide it into two different sections).

Some hotels near Termini you may want to consider:

Hotel Canada

Hotel IQ

Hotel Romae

I'm sure there are many others, but I've heard good things about these.

Edited to add: Hotel IQ is relatively new and very modern decor.

I stayed in Hotel Sonya a couple of months ago. It was NOT modern. Very old, but clean, breakfast okay. It is very near the train station and not something I would consider seedy.

After cruise we stayed at Albergo Santa Chiara. Extremely clean, modern and somewhat reasonable.

Fantastic area as it is directly behind the Pantheon. Easy access to just about everything, and a 10 Euro cab fare from train station.Very helpful hotel staff, and a great breakfast included. It sounds to me to be exactly what you are looking for.

I stayed in Hotel Sonya a couple of months ago. It was NOT modern. Very old, but clean, breakfast okay. It is very near the train station and not something I would consider seedy.

After cruise we stayed at Albergo Santa Chiara. Extremely clean, modern and somewhat reasonable.

Fantastic area as it is directly behind the Pantheon. Easy access to just about everything, and a 10 Euro cab fare from train station.Very helpful hotel staff, and a great breakfast included. It sounds to me to be exactly what you are looking for.

This does seem to be exactly what we are looking for but unfortunately for our couple nights it is over 300 per night for the basic room. I guess if I have to pay that much, I will, but it does seem like alot.

I've stayed in numerous hotels in Rome and cruised from Rome several times.

Are you taking public transportation from FCO to Rome and from Rome to the port? Is being close to the station the important thing? And what is your budget? Are you willing to take a taxi from the station to your hotel or do you want to walk with your luggage?

Termini area is convenient for transportation and also has more reasonably priced hotels. As I said before, though, the area itself is pretty charmless.

The majority of hotels in Rome include breakfast with your room, although if you book through an American hotel consolidator site they sometimes do not include it. The best prices are usually offered when you contact the hotel directly with your request for a room.

If being near Termini is your major criteria, you can go to Venere.com, a site that lets you view Rome hotels by area. Select Termini (I think they divide it into two different sections).

Some hotels near Termini you may want to consider:

Hotel Canada

Hotel IQ

Hotel Romae

I'm sure there are many others, but I've heard good things about these.

Edited to add: Hotel IQ is relatively new and very modern decor.

Great to find an expert. I really don't have firm answers to your questions because I don't really know what makes the most sense in Rome. Does it make the most sense to take public transportation? The only reason I mentioned the termini is because I read some people said it's a great location to get to all the sites easily. We plan to try to hit all the sites, including the Vatican in our 2 days and we want it to be a memorable experience. We don't have a budget per se. I would say like many on these boards we are trying to maximize our experience and minimize the amount we pay for it......if that makes some sense. I hope that helps you understand a bit more and perhaps you can guide us a little easier. Thanks!

Only have limited Rome experience but we stayed 4 nites @ Residenza Canali on via dei Tre Archi right off Piazza Navona. We walked to the Vatican easily and to Trevi fountain. Loved the location and the hotel so much that we are staying there again in a terrace room for 195 euro cash per nite before departing from Civitavecchia. There is AC and the terrace room is huge, altho up 4 flights of stairs. Excellent breakfast is included in the rate.

Great to find an expert. I really don't have firm answers to your questions because I don't really know what makes the most sense in Rome. Does it make the most sense to take public transportation? The only reason I mentioned the termini is because I read some people said it's a great location to get to all the sites easily. We plan to try to hit all the sites, including the Vatican in our 2 days and we want it to be a memorable experience. We don't have a budget per se. I would say like many on these boards we are trying to maximize our experience and minimize the amount we pay for it......if that makes some sense. I hope that helps you understand a bit more and perhaps you can guide us a little easier. Thanks!

Since your goal is to maximize your experience and minimize the amount you pay for it, my best recommendation is to rent an apartment as close to the Pantheon as possible.

Termini is a great location for people who are staying perhaps as little as overnight in Rome AND are planning on using mass transit both from the airport to the city and, then, from the city to the port. It is an acceptable location for walking access to the majority of the ancient Roman sites (e.g. Colosseum, Forum, Trajan's Market). Termini is an acceptable location for using the Metro to the Vatican or the Spanish Steps or Piazza Barberini. (From those locations, walking becomes the best way to get around.) Finally, Termini is a good location for more modestly priced hotels.

However, it's certainly not charming; you won't create your Roman holiday memories walking around in that neighborhood.

Apartment rental companies such as Rental in Rome, VRBO.com and others are well-regarded on this board. We've used Rental in Rome with great results, but a search will turn up lots of endorsements for even more companies than I've mentioned.

Since your goal is to maximize your experience and minimize the amount you pay for it, my best recommendation is to rent an apartment as close to the Pantheon as possible.

Termini is a great location for people who are staying perhaps as little as overnight in Rome AND are planning on using mass transit both from the airport to the city and, then, from the city to the port. It is an acceptable location for walking access to the majority of the ancient Roman sites (e.g. Colosseum, Forum, Trajan's Market). Termini is an acceptable location for using the Metro to the Vatican or the Spanish Steps or Piazza Barberini. (From those locations, walking becomes the best way to get around.) Finally, Termini is a good location for more modestly priced hotels.

However, it's certainly not charming; you won't create your Roman holiday memories walking around in that neighborhood.

Apartment rental companies such as Rental in Rome, VRBO.com and others are well-regarded on this board. We've used Rental in Rome with great results, but a search will turn up lots of endorsements for even more companies than I've mentioned.

Thanks for the great tip. We are only staying for 2 nights and most of the apartments are looking for 3 nights so I think we will be looking at a hotel....I think we prefer a hotel at this point. Thanks for your feedback on the Termini area...certainly gives us something to think about.

Does it make the most sense to take public transportation?

It makes "the most sense to take public transportation" from Rome to Civitavecchia if your primary goal is to save money. We did this with no problem, as our primary goal was to save money. If your primary goal is convenience, you would be better off with another mode of transportation, such as private van transfer.

It makes "the most sense to take public transportation" from Rome to Civitavecchia if your primary goal is to save money. We did this with no problem, as our primary goal was to save money. If your primary goal is convenience, you would be better off with another mode of transportation, such as private van transfer.

I'm starting to get the picture. Staying in the termini area will save me 200-300 over the 2 days, including the transportation but something like the Pantheon area will give a better experience, particularly at night. So if I'm right, I will have to weigh whether that experience is worth the extra $. Please correct me if I'm reading this wrong.

...one thing that needs to be pointed out, there's the termini area and there's "the termini" area, by that I mean the area surrounding the actual Termini is quite extensive, and part of it is what most of us would definitely call seedy. The seedy area is to the south and south east of the actual train station, the area to the west and north west is actually quite nice, we've stayed at hotels along Via Nationale and they've been very good and also more affordable. We're staying in that area again in this fall before our next cruise, the hotel is called Hotel Gea di Vulcano, it is an old palazzo that has been converted into a family run hotel. We looked up hotels on venere.com and decided upon this place due to favorable pricing and the fact there weren't any negative reviews. The Via Nationale area is fairly central and within easy walking distance to most popular destinations. Just something more for you to consider, the Hotel Gea di Vulcano is also only a 10 to 15 minute walk to the station...

cheers,

the Imagineer

...one thing that needs to be pointed out, there's the termini area and there's "the termini" area, by that I mean the area surrounding the actual Termini is quite extensive, and part of it is what most of us would definitely call seedy. The seedy area is to the south and south east of the actual train station, the area to the west and north west is actually quite nice, we've stayed at hotels along Via Nationale and they've been very good and also more affordable. We're staying in that area again in this fall before our next cruise, the hotel is called Hotel Gea di Vulcano, it is an old palazzo that has been converted into a family run hotel. We looked up hotels on venere.com and decided upon this place due to favorable pricing and the fact there weren't any negative reviews. The Via Nationale area is fairly central and within easy walking distance to most popular destinations. Just something more for you to consider, the Hotel Gea di Vulcano is also only a 10 to 15 minute walk to the station...

cheers,

the Imagineer

Is the IQ hotel that was referenced earlier in the nicer part or seedy part of the termini area? That hotel is pricey but seems very highly regarded on all the websites and may be what we're looking for.

I've been doing alot of research and the IQ and Albergo del Senato would be virtually the same price for my nights (190 Euro) when breakfast, taxes, etc. factored in. Both are highly rated though that is more than I thought I'd have to spend for a decent hotel. Is there any feedback on one over the other or something comparable that might be less costly?

We stayed at Hotel Raffaello which is close to Termini, but not what I would consider seedy. I saw many 'seedier' areas! It was a reasonable rate and for our purposes worked well. We saw everything we wanted to see; the metro stop is about 3 blocks (Cavour) away; bus stop about 6 blocks but it took us right where we wanted to go--Pantheon/Trastevere/Vatican, wherever. We walked around at night with no issues. There was a small deli 1/2 block away where we bought wine and cheeses etc for our room for snacking.

HOWEVER, if this is your first time and you are only staying 2 nights, you might want to spring for a hotel in the P. Navona general area so as to capture the charm factor. I understand completely about minimizing the cost and maximizing the exoerience; when I go back to stay again if it's a short trip, I will just bite my lip and pay the extra; or maybe stay in Trastevere, which has a charm all its own.

Having said all THAT, I do remember that in season, the Raffaello has a deal with Albergo del Senato that allows guests the use of the rooftop terrace/restaurant/bar. We were there in January and couldn't take advantage but certainly would have if the weather had cooperated.

I hope some of this helps!

cathy

If you're looking at nearly the same price for Termini area at Hotel IQ versus Albergo del Senato, I'd advise the del Senato every time. It's a wonderful first introduction to Rome, and you really can't go wrong choosing it.

I'll be staying there in October and then heading, via public transportation, to Civitavecchia. If you opt to stay here (or in this area), we can give you more specific details on the most hassle-free way to get to the train from the Pantheon area.

I'd advise taking a taxi (either prearranged or just get an official cab at the airport) from FCO to your hotel. But I'd urge you to consider public transportation to the port (Civitavecchia) -- a private car for two would run 120-140 euro. Alternatively, you can see if anyone on the roll call for your cruise is looking for others to share transportation.

Hi

We are in Rome now for a few days before our cruise, and staying at the IQ Hotel Roma, which is next door to the Opera House, close to Termini and within walking distance of all the major ancient sites. It's also close to metro stations. The web address is: http://www.iqhotelroma.it/en/. It is modern, the rooms are quite spacious by European standards, there is a gym, breakfast is adequate for us, and it's convenient for sightseeing.

The Hotel Artemide is just around the corner and does look like a lovely hotel, as does the Hotel ****onale, which is a little further on.

We have stayed (a few years ago now) near the Pantheon in the Colonna Palace Hotel http://www.colonnapalacehotel.it/ and it was fine as well.

Maree

If you're looking at nearly the same price for Termini area at Hotel IQ versus Albergo del Senato, I'd advise the del Senato every time. It's a wonderful first introduction to Rome, and you really can't go wrong choosing it.

I'll be staying there in October and then heading, via public transportation, to Civitavecchia. If you opt to stay here (or in this area), we can give you more specific details on the most hassle-free way to get to the train from the Pantheon area.

I'd advise taking a taxi (either prearranged or just get an official cab at the airport) from FCO to your hotel. But I'd urge you to consider public transportation to the port (Civitavecchia) -- a private car for two would run 120-140 euro. Alternatively, you can see if anyone on the roll call for your cruise is looking for others to share transportation.

Cruisemom, thanks for your generous offer. I have been doing hours of research on these boards and have come across your valuable posts many times. We are still trying to digest the cost of the Albergo del Senato and just looking to see if there are any other options...I know it will be the best experience but it is also over $500 USD for just a couple nights. This aside, we'd love your feedback on transportation to the hotel, from the hotel to the port as well as a plan of attack for Rome during our 2 days (flight arrives early morning). We'd like to see all the sites, including the Vatican over our 2 days. I'm sure you would have recommended restaurants as well.

I see you also have alot of expertise on the other port stops as well and would value your feedback on what we should do on each of those. We are on the Celebrity Equinox 10 day. If you prefer to email me, you can do so at 3overfour@gmail.com.

Is the IQ hotel that was referenced earlier in the nicer part or seedy part of the termini area? That hotel is pricey but seems very highly regarded on all the websites and may be what we're looking for.

...nicer part, its just down the street and around the corner from the place we're staying at...

Cruisemom, thanks for your generous offer. I have been doing hours of research on these boards and have come across your valuable posts many times. We are still trying to digest the cost of the Albergo del Senato and just looking to see if there are any other options...I know it will be the best experience but it is also over $500 USD for just a couple nights. This aside, we'd love your feedback on transportation to the hotel, from the hotel to the port as well as a plan of attack for Rome during our 2 days (flight arrives early morning). We'd like to see all the sites, including the Vatican over our 2 days. I'm sure you would have recommended restaurants as well.

I see you also have alot of expertise on the other port stops as well and would value your feedback on what we should do on each of those. We are on the Celebrity Equinox 10 day. If you prefer to email me, you can do so at 3overfour@gmail.com.

Wow, that's a lot of info to ask for. :o

I already gave my recommendation regarding transportation to your hotel. I suggest you decide on a hotel next, which would make it easier to plan an itinerary in Rome.

When you say you have two days in Rome, do you mean a partial day when you arrive in Rome, plus a full day, plus leaving for your cruise on Day 3? (Keep in mind, you can have a half day in Rome before heading to the port.)

I will think on a possible Rome schedule. I suggest that, for each port of call, you start just reading through the forums as much of this info is already given out there. If you have specific questions, I'm happy to try to answer them (and I'm sure many others can also answer them as well as I can).

We plan to stay at the Atlante Garden Hotel near the Vatican. Any input re that hotel?

The hotel we stay at is a block from yours. I don't know anything about your hotel but I walk past it all the time. We love the location and we stay there for 2+ weeks at a time. Have fun!

I feel like I've looked at a million hotels today. It is really unbelievable how many options there are in this city. I've found a couple right near the trevi fountain that look pretty nice, have good ratings and are quite a bit less expensive than the Albergo del Senato. Can anyone comment on that area?

I feel like I've looked at a million hotels today. It is really unbelievable how many options there are in this city. I've found a couple right near the trevi fountain that look pretty nice, have good ratings and are quite a bit less expensive than the Albergo del Senato. Can anyone comment on that area?

The Trevi Fountain area is a good,convenient to everything area and we are staying at the Hotel DePetris near there next May. This will be our 3rd visit to Rome.You are really making this much more difficult than it needs to be.:D

Archived