Can't reach my PVP and I want to book a cruise :(

I called my PVP and left a message today. He didn't call me back within 30 minutes (unusual for him) so I called his cell. I wasn't concerned about the sale, but there were only 3 inside cabins left on the cruise I wanted; which is two weeks away.

Anyway, I got him at home and he said he was headed to the office anyway so he'd just go a little early. He called me less than 15 minutes later and I got my cruise!!

So, TexasLandShark, that is why we love our PVP's and try to treat them as well as they treat us.

We tried to book our 2nd cruise with our PVP... left a message for him. Another PVP called us back the next day to say our PVP would be out for the next several days for personal reasons and she was covering for him. We booked with the new PVP as it was near the end of ES rates and we didn't want to miss them. When we talked to our first PVP with questions about the 2nd booked cruise, he tried to tell us that we booked with "her". We explained the situation (he was out for an extended time) and he remembered he had been out due to a death in the family and he gladly helped us from that point on. So, I guess they are very territorial, but in the end we are still with our first PVP, whom we like very much.

My PVP said if I book another cruise while on a cruise and buy the FCC, she would get the credit anyways.

Yes, that's allowed. A PVP will get credit in this specific situation. However, that situation is different than what the OP is describing here.

I don't believe this to be true at least in my case. I originally booked my October cruise with someone at the 800#. The gentleman was very nice but the cruise was chartered and I got the call from Carnival that I had 24 hrs to pick another cruise. I wasn't able to contact him and was running out of time. I found the name of a PVP on another forum and called that person. I had to send a letter stating I wanted to transfer my booking to her and she's been handling my cruise since then. She actually is wonderful. Very informative and a pleasure to chat/email with. We had more issues with the cruise :mad: and with her help was able to get some "extras" for our troubles. I'd refer her in a minute. Glad I found her :D:D

Basically what happened here was a full cancellation followed by a new booking. Even though in your eyes it may seem like you just transferred your money to a new booking, basically the new PVP made a new reservation using the deposit for the booking that was force cancelled when it became a charter.

BTW, the 800 Carnival number and the PVP department are two completely different departments, and many times there are internal conflicts between the two because they overlap each other. This happens when a guest calls a PVP but then calls the 800 Carnival number to book or vice versa. It's a sales job and some of these agents will say whatever they can to get you to book the cruise through them because they know that once booked, they get the credit for the cruise and the other agent is out of luck.

Just like the previous example, a very different scenario than what the OP has now.

Basically what happened here was a full cancellation followed by a new booking.

Very concise answer / explanation Tapi. I was thinking the same thing, but got my head in a tangle trying to think how to word it. Glad you were able to answer what happened so well!

Update!

I played phone tag with my PVP this weekend and ended up deciding on cruising a different month than what was originally planned. When he reached me early this afternoon, we talked over the different weeks and I got, what I feel to be, a real great deal. I appreciate the enthusiasm and attention to past conversations that our current PVP brings to our bookings - I'm so glad that I waited. I'm already looking forward to booking cruise #2!! :eek: :cool:

FWIW.. he said he would have honored the 72 Hour Sale Price after it ended and I got an email from CCL this weekend that extended the Sale from Friday through Sunday. All in all, I'm not even sure the sale affected our particular cruise.

Very concise answer / explanation Tapi. I was thinking the same thing, but got my head in a tangle trying to think how to word it. Glad you were able to answer what happened so well!

Then why did I have to write an email stating I wanted to use my new PVP to transfer the booking over to the new cruise?

Then why did I have to write an email stating I wanted to use my new PVP to transfer the booking over to the new cruise?

Tapi may explain this better - he or she is the one who can make the complicated concise. The first cruise was chartered, so you booked a new one. They would not have let you transfer the booking to a different PVP otherwise.

...I appreciate the enthusiasm and attention to past conversations that our current PVP brings to our bookings - I'm so glad that I waited. I'm already looking forward to booking cruise #2!! :eek: :cool:.

I'm sure that many will agree that the cruise begins the moment you start planning it. And having someone that you enjoy talking to be the one assisting you with your travel plans definitely makes it even better more enjoyable

I'm sailing this saturday, and my PVP and I have been chatting on the phone quite a bit during the last few days. Her enthusiasm is definitely contagious! :)

It's a bit complicated. There are many "behind the scenes internal rules" at Carnival which are designed to minimize stealing of one agent's bookings by another and vice versa, (but it still happens). An agent can't cancel a booking made by another agent and then make a completely new booking just to get credit for the new booking. However, your situation was different since the new PVP didn't voluntarily cancel your original booking, (it was done so by Carnival when it became a charter). That's probably why you needed to write an email stating that you wanted to work with this new PVP (to cover his rear end, and prevent a supervisor from thinking that he had "stolen" your business from the original 800-Carnival agent).

As previously mentioned, the agents at the 800-Carnival number and the PVP's work in different departments. You could be talking to agents at both departments, but ultimately, the one making the booking and getting the credit card number is the one that gets credit for the booking. There are some specific exceptions to the rule (for example, if you are one PVP's past guest, and then a different PVP books a future cruise, the original PVP will get credit for the new booking). However, an 800-Carnival agent could book a PVP's past guest and they'll get the credit for it. Also, PVP's are allowed to book any guest previously booked by an 800-Carnival agent since there are no ownership issues in this situation.

Once again, there are many internal rules that customers don't know about (and Carnival wants to keep it that way. They don't want customers from being caught in the middle of internal wars between agents).

So, what happens when you book your first cruise on the internet site, and then you are assigned a PVP? :confused: Do all the cruises you book go back to the PVP you were assigned, whether you booked online again or with a different PVP?

Also, if you book shore excusions with your PVP instead of waiting to book on the ship, do they get credit for that?

What does it mean when a Carnival cruise becomes a charter?

Also, I want to book an additional cabin on a cruise that I have already booked a cabin with a PVP. Will he get credit if I book on onboard and get my $100 FCC then get my $100 OBC?

I also want to get my friends and family FCC which allows them to book on the same cruise and get $100 OBC.

Thanks for your help

What does it mean when a Carnival cruise becomes a charter?

Also, I want to book an additional cabin on a cruise that I have already booked a cabin with a PVP. Will he get credit if I book on onboard and get my $100 FCC then get my $100 OBC?

I also want to get my friends and family FCC which allows them to book on the same cruise and get $100 OBC.

Thanks for your help

It means that someone "books" the whole boat and its no longer available through Carnival. You have to book through the agent that the Charter uses. In my case, my original Destiny cruise is now the Kiss Kruise 2011. Kiss as in the band with Gene Simmons. I would have stayed on that cruise if they let me but unfortunately the prices per person are outrageous :(

The PVP I was assigned never gave me his cell # and took over 24 hours to return my calls. Also he does not have an email that you can communicate with him through, it is an email that says do not reply to this email, blah blah blah.

I would get tired of waiting for my PVP and just call the 800# - I would much rather have a PVP that is personable and wants to help me with my booking but I guess the 800# works for now.

FYI: Most PVP work from home.

Actually, only about 10% (or 50 out of the more than 500 PVP's) work full time from home. The rest work from the Miramar, FL office (been there, and there are several floors dedicated to PVP's). Another handful of top selling PVP's have home access, but are still required to work from the Miramar office during normal business hours.

Those PVP's that do work from home full time are those who at one point in time worked at the office, but moved away from the area.

So, what happens when you book your first cruise on the internet site, and then you are assigned a PVP? :confused: Do all the cruises you book go back to the PVP you were assigned, whether you booked online again or with a different PVP?

Also, if you book shore excusions with your PVP instead of waiting to book on the ship, do they get credit for that?

PVP's don't ever get credit for bookings made online, even if they have booked previous cruises for that guest (so if you like your PVP, don't hang up the phone after getting all the information you need, and then book online. :o)

PVP's don't get credit for shore excursions either, regardless of how the guest booked them.

Actually, only about 10% (or 50 out of the more than 500 PVP's) work full time from home. The rest work from the Miramar, FL office (been there, and there are several floors dedicated to PVP's). Another handful of top selling PVP's have home access, but are still required to work from the Miramar office during normal business hours.

Those PVP's that do work from home full time are those who at one point in time worked at the office, but moved away from the area.

Tapi, have you heard of a company called Arise? Well Carnival is part of that, which you train to become a PVP. You work from home. Actually, I was thinking about doing this since I love to cruise or would love to cruise more often.lol

Maybe things have changed in the past 2yrs because i believe they are a fairly new client, Carnival, for Arise.

Tapi, have you heard of a company called Arise?

Yes, I'm familiar with Arise. In fact, they have offices in the building adjacent to the Carnival building in Miramar, FL.

When I mentioned that most PVP's don't work from home, I was referring to actual PVP's that are employeed and trained directly by Carnival, not agents contracted through Arise or another third party. :)

Arise will train you to become one of their "Certified Professionals", but you are still employed by Arise, not by Carnival.

Yes, I'm familiar with Arise. In fact, they have offices in the building adjacent to the Carnival building in Miramar, FL.

When I mentioned that most PVP's don't work from home, I was referring to actual PVP's that are employeed and trained directly by Carnival, not agents contracted through Arise or another third party. :)

Arise will train you to become one of their "Certified Professionals", but you are still employed by Arise, not by Carnival.

Not being from FL i find this ironic. Thank you for the clarification.:D

I wish all of my "debates" could end up like this instead of someone jumping down your neck because you didn't use the right "terminology" or because "they KNOW". It sometimes reminds me of the "school playground" here on these threads. Wooo had to vent. Not directed at you.:p

I wish all of my "debates" could end up like this instead of someone jumping down your neck because you didn't use the right "terminology" or because "they KNOW". Wooo had to vent. Not directed at you.:p

Thanks Krystal, I appreciate the healthy venting! :)

Archived