entertainment on Star Princess.

We're on the June 4 Star Cruise too. Working on arranging a independent tour in St. Petersburg. Just found out about the Visas. Also trying to see how to get from the port Nynashamn to Stockholm (one hour) without the 72.00 per person bus fare via the ship arrangement.

There is a train that goes from nyasham to Stockholm. I think I read that it is about $16.00. It takes about 45 minutes and is mostly hilly countryside. We are from Chicago and are traveling with 8 family members from ages 14 thru 73. What about you?

We sail on the Star Princess from CPH on 2 September.

We are in docked in Nynashamn on Sunday, 4 September from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. :cool:

Can you tell me how to take the train to get from Nynashamn to Stockholm for $16? :confused:

Our coach is $72 and I think the train would be just as fast, if not faster, and a lot less expensive. :eek:

How hard is it to use the train? I love the rail.

Thanks for your help. :D

The train leaves Nynashamn Station every half hour and the travel time is one hour. It leave at 7 minutes after the hour and at 37 minutes after the hour. The return time from Stockholm is at 22 minutes after the hour and at 52 minutes after the hour.

SaylorGirl,

Thanks so much - doesn't sound too hard to do. I will add this to my Nynashamn-Stockholm file. :D

I believe that the train station is not too far from the docking port??? :confused:

In which direction do I walk? :cool:

I always do enjoy all your Posts. You have been Very helpful. ;)

Hi, Beham,

RO = ripoff???

Taxi from port to Stockholm was $80 each way in 2004.

For the Train:

Try to be off the ship before 8. The tender in Nynashamn takes not more than 15 minutes. As soon as the tender drops you off at the dock, walk toward your left with your back facing the sea. (Another person put it this way: Go left when you get out of the pier area at the fork in the road.) Walk along the coast and you should pass some rail. If you pass a big Ferry Terminal (Ferry to Tallinn), you are on the right track. It will take you about 15-20 minutes to walk to the station. You should see a small church on top of the hill on the right when you reach the train station. The train station is called Nynashamn Train Station (there is another small train station, which you should not use). They do not take US$ or credit cards on the train. You can buy a ticket in the little shop that sells sundries at the station.

The train takes about 1 hour to Stockholm. See journey planner at Stockholm transport in English for train schedule: http://www.sl.se/english/.

You arrive at Stockholm Central Station.

Watch John Lawrence’s port talk: he tells you exactly how to get from the station into the old town. He even has pictures. When you return make sure you get the train that says Nynashamn on the overhead signs. Others go part way but not all the way to Nynashamn.

Some people bought the 24 hour transportation card (95 SEK in 2004), so they could use the metro as well. You can buy it at the newspaper stand beside the train station. The cruisers from 2004 say it was easy. The schedules are posted at www.replus.se. The cruisers warn ON THE WAY BACK that about halfway to Nynashamn the train stops for about 5 minutes and detaches some cars. You need to be sure you get into the cars with the newer interiors (essentially the first 3 cars).

This is my summarizing of several posts: gypsyrose48, juliejoe, Cruisin’Chris, cruisernut. Also here are three more posts on this subject:

We didn't do the train to Stockholm but took the ship tour. I will say though that on the Grand Princess they had an excellent TV show on every port complete with slides and commentary from the Cruise Director, John Lawrence. I can remember the show about Stockholm and he was extremely specific about how and where to catch the train and everything else you need to know about it. John Lawrence may well be the Cruise Director next summer on the Star. He is to the point in his career that he only does that itinerary. cruznliz 11/7/04

Hello all

Good news...I did the train from Nynashamn to Stockholm, along with a number of others. We waited for our tender tickets just after 7.30 and were a little delayed by a medical emergency. However we did make the 9.07...just!

We went( I think ) to Stockholm Central station which is close to the old city. I agree that John's in cabin TV port talks are invaluable and VERY accurate. The train did not divide on the way in in the morning but you must ride the front coaches on the way back.

Kool Kruiser 11/8/04

Hi - We did do the train. It was about a 15 minute walk (uphill) out of the port to the left. It was a little confusing when you got to the platform but we had pre-purchased tickets over the internet. Remarkably, I received the tickets in the mail within like 5 days of having purchased them. The website is listed on the Baltics board. One thing to know: if you have forbidden pop-up windows in your browser you will need to allow them for the website to function properly. Took me a couple weeks to figure that out. I don't recall what time we got the train but I think it probably was the 9:07. The return trains were only running hourly, which was in conflict with what I had researched before. It is confusing at the station for your return. Make sure you get on the right train (the one that goes all the way to Nynashamn.) Also make note of the platform you arrive at because you will leave from the same one and the station is large and confusing. John Lawrence's port talk was extremely helpful for doing this on your own. he gave superb walking instructions from the train to the old town. Cruisin' Chris

Thats what I was hoping to find out also.pj

The show that usually comes on board is from the Troika restaurant and is billed as a nightclub show, one or two sequences could be considered slightly erotic, it is an excellent show and usually has standing room only for both shows.

The show ashore is a local folkloric show and entirely different from the Troika Dancers, but is also an excellent show.

Hope this helps.

Taxi to Stockholm and back to Nynashamn. Can you tell me more about the option of taking a taxi to Stockholm. You indicated the cost one way is about $80. Did you take a taxi yourself, was it quicker that the train? Were there plenty of taxi to take in Nynashamn? I'd appreciate any information you can provide about taking a taxi vs. the train. Thanks!

Taxi to Stockholm and back to Nynashamn. Can you tell me more about the option of taking a taxi to Stockholm. You indicated the cost one way is about $80. Did you take a taxi yourself, was it quicker that the train? Were there plenty of taxi to take in Nynashamn? I'd appreciate any information you can provide about taking a taxi vs. the train. Thanks!

The following web site gives you info about taxis in Nynashamn, including phone numbers http://www.nynashamn.se/turism. The site is in English as well.

You would need to get off the ship as early as possible in order to get a taxi as they are limited. The taxis are located as you leave the tender area, whereas the train station is a 10 - 15 minute walk. You could book a taxi in advance.The taxi would mean that you could stay a little longer in Stockholm and avoid the crush of the last train.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived