ships that offer a lot of ballroom dancing

wbierbra

What cruiselines and or ships of those cruise lines have a lot of opportunities for ballroom dancing? We've been on many cruises and it seems like the space delegated to dancing is limited. It's often hit and miss. A group of us (ballroom dancers) want to book our next cruise on a ship that has many opportunities.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines has lots of dancing, but lots of dancers, too, so venues are usually crowded. It has been a few years since we were on Cunard and HAL, but at that time they both had lots of dancing with live music, but lots of people dancing. Many times we ended up dancing on the nearby carpeted area. But it still beats not having dance music or other dancers!

RCCL and Celebrity seem to be moving away from ballroom dancing. Last year, on the Solstice and Equinox, we couldn't find a single decent dance floor. They were all marble (sticky with dance shoes) or metal (with seams to trip over). Some evenings they had ballroom dancing in the atrium, using a DJ (no band). It was only some evenings because on formal nights, when you'd want to do some dancing, the area was taken over by the photographers.

While it's been a little while since our last Princess cruise, we found they had the better dance floors - actual wood floors. Usually, there was halfway decent dancing in the Wheelhouse Bar with a live band and wood dance floor, although a small floor.

It's been a few years since we were on HAL, but they used to have decent ballroom dancing, also.

Your best bet may be Princess.

Hope this helps,

Art

The best cruise line for dancing I have found is, by far, Costa (their newer ships, at least). They have large dance floors; music starts at around 6 PM, til around 01:30. On the Serena last November, there were 7 choices of music at 11 PM.

Cunard has a reputation for abysmal music (check the Cunard thread).

Don't waste your time with HAL: on the Oosterdam, they were so afraid of the old geezers falling down, they put sticky gunk on the dance floor. I was the only passenger still awake by midnight.

I've heard good things about a couple of the P&O ships, but they're very difficult to book from North America.

A group from Toronto I travel with regularly is booking the Costa Atlantica in February.

What cruiselines and or ships of those cruise lines have a lot of opportunities for ballroom dancing? We've been on many cruises and it seems like the space delegated to dancing is limited. It's often hit and miss. A group of us (ballroom dancers) want to book our next cruise on a ship that has many opportunities.
There is a continuing thread about this very subject on the Cunard board, currently 129 pages long. Apparently it is a very popular topic and many others share your concerns.

Here is a link to it:

Dancers' opinions of Cunard and other lines.

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone. Has anyone experienced the Allure or Oasis and noticed their dancing opportunities? Some of my group have expressed interest in these mega ships even though I prefer cruising and viewing the sea instead of being on an entertainment center that floats!!

Opinions?

• 2 months later...

I would agree with Dancer Bob about Costa, particularly the Atlantica and Mediterranea as they each have a large dance floor with two groups that play dance music and alternate, so as soon as one group goes on break, the other group steps in seamlessly for continuous music and dancing. Dancer Bob, Which February cruise are you sailing? We are doing back-to-back Feb. 7 and 17.

Archived