When to arrive at port

Tetra

Forgive me if this is on the wrong board, I wasn't sure if it was more RCCL-specific or port-specific.

Going on the Monarch out of Port Canaveral. My documents say that boarding begins at 1:30 PM. When should I plan on arriving at the port? I don't have a handle on how long it takes to do what I need to in the terminal, before I actually board the ship. I'm not checking bags, if that makes a difference, just taking a carry-on suitcase and a small backpack.

Echoing prior sentiments ... for my wife and I, if RCL says boarding starts at 1PM, we'll arrive at 9AM. If Port Security is trying to empty out the prior cruise at that time, we'll go park our car anyway and watch all the sad, bleary eyed individuals as they walk AWAY from OUR cruise ship ... and revel in knowing that we'll be on board soon enough.

Yes indeed, boarding day is Day 1. We have paid for that day, for all the tea in China we are going to enjoy as many minutes as possible onboard.

As such, we get to the port nice and early, even if it means a wait. :)

Michael and Silke

Get there early, we arrive at 9 30 or 10 am, and board about 11 30. Thats is what we did on the liberty 3 years ago. You pay for that day might as well get the party started. First cruise we took long time ago, we fly in day of cruise, flight was delayed just made it cruise port with half hour to spare before ship left. On board we pass some people by pool in relax mode, I ask them what time they boarded they said 11 am. Learned a big lesson that day, always fly in day before and get to port early to check in..

Sage advice indeed. Do remember that your vacation/adventure begins as soon as you leave home and the sooner the better. Enjoy the breadth as well as the length (read that somewhere and believe it makes me sound wise). Bon Voyage to you :)

Monarch typically starts boarding at 11:30 AM. It's a quick check in process so if you want to be there for the start I'd arrive just before 11:00 AM. You park in the lot/garage right across the street from the terminal. Have fun!!

Does the freedom start boarding at 11:30 too?

Guess we are the only ones to arrive 1:00-1:30 PM.

We don't like having to get up too early on the first day.

Rooms are not available before then, and the WJ is usually a madhouse.

Like to be able to go right to the room and drop off carry-ons, etc.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Happy Cruising,

TnT

When we are amongst the first to board, the Windjammer is hardly a madhouse.

Happy Cruising,

TnT

No you aren't.

WE board "later"...we have lunch before we board because we aren't interested in the "madhouse" of the WJ either. WE go straight to our cabin, as they are open by the time we board. No lines...no waiting..we breeze right on.:)

Tacking on here. Anyone know the "early" boarding time for an 8:30PM departure? I know for 5-6PM departures documentation says 1-1:30PM, but you can usually get onboard ~11AM. We're headed out on Serenade on 11/13 and departure time is 8:30PM, but we'll already be in SJ and want to to get onboard as soon as possible and enjoy "Day 1".

Tacking on here. Anyone know the "early" boarding time for an 8:30PM departure? I know for 5-6PM departures documentation says 1-1:30PM, but you can usually get onboard ~11AM. We're headed out on Serenade on 11/13 and departure time is 8:30PM, but we'll already be in SJ and want to to get onboard as soon as possible and enjoy "Day 1".

You can go to the port and stand and wait in line at 9:30 am if you want to.

There is no telling what time you will be able to board. It depends upon how quickly pax debark and they can get the ship turned around.

If you want to enjoy day 1 standing in line waiting you can do that or you can tour San Juan..have a nice leisurely breakfast and board about 1 pm and avoid the wait.

Archived