Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

You will not be able to access the internet with a netbook in the cabin. However, if you go to the 4th deck and sit near the computer room, you'll get access there. There are some chairs and small tables near the coffee pot/cookie area, and you can sit there and log in. If access is slow, you can also check out the scenery. I was very annoyed one day while sitting there, as we passed very close to a herd of small goats on the hillside, and I had left my camera in the cabin!

I was glad I took my netbook, even though it added more weight, and also had to be taken in and out of my carryon all the time due to the multiple flights involved. I was able to load pictures onto it just in case something happened to my cards, and I used it on the ship as well as in the hotels. The Shanghai hotel had free internet use in its biz center, which was open at night, so I really didn't need it there. Perhaps the hotels in Xi'an and Beijing did too, but if so, I wasn't aware of it. They both did, however, have free wifi in their lobbies, so I was glad I had my netbook and mouse with me.

Just FYI, although I was glad I took the netbook, I did take some stuff I didn't use: hand wipes, which were plentiful in China and on the Emerald, a few plastic forks, Immodium and Pepto, Cipro, couple packs of tissue (only had to use one), insect repellent, shampoo, poncho, and an extra converter and adapter set. (We barely ever used the one set.) Of course, I suppose if I hadn't taken this stuff, I would have needed it!

I agree with a previous poster in that lack of signing off contributed to the problem on the Emerald, and that rebooting did usually help. The first day or two things were shaky, but seemed to get much better later on. There were numerous times when I walked by and all 8 computers were being used, so maybe they now have someone checking the computers periodically. Of course, when you're going through a lock, you need to sign off and stay off, as you're likely to lose what you're working on during lock transit. I learned that lesson the hard way in Germany last year! On the Shanghai to Beijing trip, you won't be going through many locks unless you stay up late for the "big dam" with its multiple locks, but there IS one lock you'll traverse during the day time.

Thanks so much for the after cruise post. We are leaving in 10 days so this up to date (and seasonal) post are so useful to me. I imagine some things are seasonal as the bug repellant and flu as they are here. I was interested in your info as to internet access in the business centres as I don't intend to take my computer.

I found the comments made from travelers both this year (Emerald) and last year (Century Sky or whatever it was called) pretty helpful and on point. However, there were a few things we definitely didn't have to worry about on the October trip. For example, there were no problems with humidity on the ship. My husband washed out a tee shirt or two and dried it on the balcony without problems. Nothing inside got the least bit damp, either - although there was a good amount of humidity, especially in Shanghai, where it is usually a bit hotter because of its location. We didn't get any rain at all, except for some heavy mist our departure day in Beijing. There were a lot of gray skies, though - never sure what was smog, what was fog, and what was just "partly cloudy."

The biz center at Shanghai's Shangri la Hotel was free, and open long hours (I believe 7AM to 11PM). They helped me print out an emailed document (although there was a charge for that) and I believe helped someone else get on Facebook - or at least that's what she wanted to do! There is an attendant who speaks enough English to help you out if needed. As to the Golden Flower in Xi'an and the Westin Chaoyang, I'd check their internet site to see if they specify what's available and free and what's not. If they don't specify, you could try emailing them.

You may not be able to take the dragon boat across Kunming Lake at the Summer Palace in Beijing. Our trip documents warned that it may not be running this time of year, but for us (last week) it WAS. If it isn't, I believe you'll have to do more walking, and/or not see part of the Summer Palace, but after seeing the Forbidden City, you probably won't even care!

As you probably know by now, you can get money changed by the hotels, as well as banks, and everyone charges the same amount. You cannot, however, get yuan changed back to U.S. dollars at the Westin, so you'll need to do that at the airport (Bank of China or currency exchange place - both fairly easy to spot in the international terminal.)

My husband used the spa on board, and was happy to find that the price of a foot massage was very reasonable, and the massage helped a lot.

Wine and soft drinks are free at dinner, but cost at lunch on the Emerald. For most lunches off-ship, you are given one free glass of (usually) water, soda or beer. The food is Chinese, served family style. We found it a little less spicy than expected - perhaps made that way for U.S. tourists!!

I'm trying to think of things that might be useful. Oh, you may want to bring something to put your room key into. I don't carry a purse when I travel, especially when on a cruise, so I have a little wrist band that is made for a cell phone. I used that at times to insert my room key or card so I could go hands free.

Also, just FYI, you may really want to try to limit your carry-on luggage, especially for the 3 internal China flights. While there was no weighing/charging for overweight bags, some of the overheads on the flights we used (2 by China Eastern and 1 by Sichuan Airlines) are a little smaller than we're used to, so it helps to have smaller bags. Also, there is a bit of walking from some airports to the buses, as they cannot pull up right outside the airport in at least one location. If by chance you need a wheelchair at Chongqing airport, be prepared to wait for one. The airport only has 2 wheelchairs for adults, and they were being used when we got there. In the end, however, we got to the gate in plenty of time, so it was no big deal.

We got to see (close up) the Bird's Nest and Water Cube in Beijing on the way to our hotel. However, I don't know if everyone gets to do that. I think a lot depends upon traffic, which is awful in Beijing. I had wanted to go back at night, since they are even more beautiful at night. I took the subway around 8:00 PM (not too bad then) but when I got to where I had to transfer to the Olympic line, found it closed. Therefore, if you want to go to Olympic Park at night, a cab is a better bet. When I asked the concierge the next night how to get there, she told me it would cost about 30 yuan one way, so that is probably the best way to go. Speaking of Beijing, a number of people went to a night market, mostly knockoffs, about 20 mins. by foot or 5 by taxi from the hotel. They said it was great. I don't know the name or particulars, but I'm sure the concierge could tell you, if that appeals to you. I had wanted to go to the night food market (crickets on a stick and the like), but was too tired my last night in Beijing to go. I hear I missed a real photo opp!

Edited by roothy123

You cannot, however, get yuan changed back to U.S. dollars at the Westin, so you'll need to do that at the airport (Bank of China or currency exchange place - both fairly easy to spot in the international terminal.)

We used our excess Yuan as part of the tip for the Viking guide the last evening. No conversion back to $$ needed that way.

Wine and soft drinks are free at dinner, but cost at lunch on the Emerald.

That is a change from last year when they charged for soft drinks at dinner on the ship. Wine was free though.

See above in red

Thanks to all of you returning sailors who are posting info. I don't go until next year, and am keeping track of the posts I want to be sure to review again. You are all so helpful.

I started a long document of tips from here that I cut and paste together as I read. However, after a while I just stopped doing it. I found that most of the information I had copied was repeated over and over again in the year prior to my sail date and by the time we sailed I pretty much had it all memorized.

Jim, BTW, nice sig file ;)

From roothy123: I did take some stuff I didn't use: hand wipes, which were plentiful in China and on the Emerald, a few plastic forks, Immodium and Pepto, Cipro,

I didn't really use any of the drugs I brought either, but my S-I-L was quite glad that they had bought a C-pak(?)when she developed a bacterial rash on her leg during the trip. When the ships doctor prescribed oral antibiotics, she already had what was needed. Personally I would rather have the drugs with me and never need them, rather than vice versa.

Edited by Peregrina651

Has anyone stayed at the Westin in Shanghai or in Beijing? What were they like? also has anyone stayed at the Shangri-La in Hong Kong? Were there bathrobes in the hotels and on the ship? Were they midget sized? I'm trying to decide whether or not to pack my robe.

We were at the Beijing Westin Chaoyang (there is another Westin there, but they are probably similar) and loved it. I only used the bathrobe a few times, but it seemed to be reasonably large. It was definitely high quality (thick). They are provide slippers. The Westin was beautiful, with a twelve-star rated "happy room" (bathroom), and a very nice bedroom. We were on the 25th floor and enjoyed the night-time view of the city from the huge windows.

The robe on the Emerald was a bit smaller, I think, and less plush. They also had slippers. I'm 5'6" and weigh 145 pounds if that helps in making your decision on the robe situation.

Jim, I like your sig, too. You wouldn't happen to know Mike and Martha on Andasol, would you?

Roothy,

Do you have a last name? We've met people over the years, but this doesn't ring a bell. But then my memory for names wasn't very good when I was young, so don't even ask about now......

Andasol is fairly close to our house, so it's possible we've run across them somewhere in the area, if not on a cruise.

My last name is Rosenthal,but if you've met anyone on a cruise, it was most likely my husband Howard. He's the one who knows half the people on the ship before I even come out of my shell! We are big fans of Oceania and Viking, but have cruised Princess to Alaska too.

As to Andasol, Martha is my husband's aunt. She is not a cruiser, but if you ever meet a neighbor named Martha (in her 80's) you might want to ask if she has a nephew named Howard in Maryland!

Wow, berkshire boy, free beer, wine and sodas now, huh? Maybe I should have waited another year - although in July, I'm guessing you'll be drinking a lot of water, too!

My last name is Rosenthal,but if you've met anyone on a cruise, it was most likely my husband Howard. He's the one who knows half the people on the ship before I even come out of my shell! We are big fans of Oceania and Viking, but have cruised Princess to Alaska too.

As to Andasol, Martha is my husband's aunt. She is not a cruiser, but if you ever meet a neighbor named Martha (in her 80's) you might want to ask if she has a nephew named Howard in Maryland!

Wow, berkshire boy, free beer, wine and sodas now, huh? Maybe I should have waited another year - although in July, I'm guessing you'll be drinking a lot of water, too!

I wonder if it depends who you book with as we leave next week and we also have free wine with dinner.

I started a long document of tips from here that I cut and paste together as I read. However, after a while I just stopped doing it. I found that most of the information I had copied was repeated over and over again in the year prior to my sail date and by the time we sailed I pretty much had it all memorized.

Jim, BTW, nice sig file ;)

I didn't really use any of the drugs I brought either, but my S-I-L was quite glad that they had bought a C-pak(?)when she developed a bacterial rash on her leg during the trip. When the ships doctor prescribed oral antibiotics, she already had what was needed. Personally I would rather have the drugs with me and never need them, rather than vice versa.

I have been reading your "journal" and it is helping us decide which type of cruise to take next year (river or ocean with land tour).... We find your journal extremely helpful in giving us more information as far as the river cruise experience on the Yangtze and your day by day account. Thank you for sharing this valuable information. The Shutterfly pictures are a plus too.

Also, thanks to everyone else on this thread with all the great reports and hints. It will take me a while to get thru it all. We are definitely leaning towards taking this Viking Cultural 17-day trip either in 2012 or 2013. We had a Princess trip booked out of Beijing with a 8-day land tour in Beijiing, Xian & Yangtze River next October, but we decided to cancel & change it as it was over the first week of October (Golden Week - National Holidays) and we did not want to get caught in those type of crowds.. So, now I decided to research the river cruises and discovered this monster thread...

Thank again..

Edited by sailaway5

I have been reading your "journal" and it is helping us decide which type of cruise to take next year (river or ocean with land tour).... We find your journal extremely helpful in giving us more information as far as the river cruise experience on the Yangtze and your day by day account. Thank you for sharing this valuable information. The Shutterfly pictures are a plus too.

Also, thanks to everyone else on this thread with all the great reports and hints. It will take me a while to get thru it all. We are definitely leaning towards taking this Viking Cultural 17-day trip either in 2012 or 2013. We had a Princess trip booked out of Beijing with a 8-day land tour in Beijiing, Xian & Yangtze River next October, but we decided to cancel & change it as it was over the first week of October (Golden Week - National Holidays) and we did not want to get caught in those type of crowds.. So, now I decided to research the river cruises and discovered this monster thread...

Thank again..

We were on the Viking trip that coincided with the 50th anniversary of National Day. Only thing we missed was inside T- Square. They were having a parade for the National Leaders! We got to watch the hundreds of busses in a constant parade to Square. City traffic was closed and we were lucky that Viking could get our buses a short distance from our hotel! In America the crowds watch the parade... In China the crowds were the parade for the few dignitaries!

The national forecaster was warned that weather " would be PERFECT!". They seeded the clouds and smog went away and it was perfect for air show and parade! Fireworks were amazing! We went to great wall that day, so Viking did great planning! Crowds for the week was very manageable!

Edited by Romeosc

Thanks, sailaway. That was my goal--to help folks who are taking the same cruise or who are trying to decide which one to take. I can't tell you which one is better because I haven't been on the others; I can only tell you what I experienced and what I thought about what I did and how things were handled. Well, that and showing off my pictures and hoping that everyone is amazed as I am that there is anything more than blur on the screen.

We went to China during the national holiday and were not particularly bothered by the crowds. The Terra Cotta warriors display was a bit difficult in the museum part is all. The actual display was no problem. The Great Wall was no problem either . There were two directions to take and on the direction we took I managed to get some pictures with no people ! Viking gets you around really well.

Hey all,

I've been reading this thread with great interest since I booked our trip (Imperial Jewels - July 4, 2012) but this is my first post here. I had a question that I've not yet seen addressed (though I may have missed it). I should preface this question by saying that I'm definitely a 'satisfied with what I have' kind of guy and don't usually ask for more. :)

I've read that many of the trips are not filled to capacity. Has anyone ever received, or heard of someone receiving, a complementary upgraded room on one of these 'less than full to capacity' trips? If so, how'd it happen? Is there a way to increase the chance of such an offer?

My wife and I have booked this trip as an anniversary present to each other and, though we will be delighted to enjoy the cabin we've booked, think it would make it quite special to be 'bumped up' a class or two.

Thanks for any information on this.

Ron (eagerly awaiting the summer)

Hey all,

I've been reading this thread with great interest since I booked our trip (Imperial Jewels - July 4, 2012) but this is my first post here. I had a question that I've not yet seen addressed (though I may have missed it). I should preface this question by saying that I'm definitely a 'satisfied with what I have' kind of guy and don't usually ask for more. :)

I've read that many of the trips are not filled to capacity. Has anyone ever received, or heard of someone receiving, a complementary upgraded room on one of these 'less than full to capacity' trips? If so, how'd it happen? Is there a way to increase the chance of such an offer?

My wife and I have booked this trip as an anniversary present to each other and, though we will be delighted to enjoy the cabin we've booked, think it would make it quite special to be 'bumped up' a class or two.

Thanks for any information on this.

Ron (eagerly awaiting the summer)

Other than being "bumped" to a suite, all the rooms on the Emerald are the same. The only difference is the view from the balcony, whether it is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th floor. Everyone has a balcony, and the room sizes are the same.

We went to China during the national holiday and were not particularly bothered by the crowds. The Terra Cotta warriors display was a bit difficult in the museum part is all. The actual display was no problem. The Great Wall was no problem either . There were two directions to take and on the direction we took I managed to get some pictures with no people ! Viking gets you around really well.

That is encouraging to hear that Viking gets you around quite well thru the crowds on their National Holidays. I don't think that the Princess ocean voyages get you around so well on their tours (at least that is what I read).....so, I am strongly considering booking this river cruise!!!

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

It's finally here! Tomorrow we leave for Shanghai. We're both so excited I doubt whether either of us will sleep a wink. Thankyou everyone for all the helpful information posted here, we've used most of it to plan our China adventure.