Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

ZukeCruiser--We took Viking Jewels of China in early June. The weather in Beijing, and other cities was near perfect, sunny days in the 70-80 range, no smog..no rain. Wonderful tours and sights.

On the river portion, unfortunately we hit dense fog the day we boarded and it stayed with us through-out the river journey. Fog so dense, that most of the time we couldn't see anything but shadow images of the incredible scenery we were passing. Disappointing but no one can control or assure perfect weather conditions at any month. We perhaps enjoyed each river stop even more.

Other reviews for that period have stated beautiful sunny days and perfect temps, but crew members told us the fog was common then. Cold water, meets warm air, often trapped by sheer walls, and dense fog is the result.

China is amazingly beautiful, Viking does an incredible job, and each day was wonderful, regardless. Enjoyed it completely, and would repeat in a heartbeat.

Have a hold on a July 2017 Imperial Jewels of China tour but after checking weather conditions for that time thinking of changing to April or May for the tour. Any comments on weather for April or May would be appreciated. Have cruised with Viking in Europe, first time in China.

We went the first week in August and had great weather the entire trip including on the River.

It was a hot on a few days.

Have a hold on a July 2017 Imperial Jewels of China tour but after checking weather conditions for that time thinking of changing to April or May for the tour. Any comments on weather for April or May would be appreciated. Have cruised with Viking in Europe, first time in China.

Just found this thread, will be reading through it for any hints or suggestions for this tour.

Thanks

We went in late April/early May. The weather was in the 80's with medium to high humidity. As we spent a lot of time outside in the weather, I would not want to do it in the summer months. We were told that the temps frequently get up in the triple digits during the summer. Add on humidity and pollution in the cities and it doesn't sound like a good recipe for a day spent outdoors. I do recommend springtime though.

We went in mid-May and the weather varied from day to day. On some days, I needed a jacket but when we got to Beijing at the end of the trip, it was too hot for me to function--and I was not a happy camper because we were touring the Forbidden City that day. I don't do well once the temperatures get anywhere near the 80s; therefore, we don't travel in the summer months.

The China itineraries cover a lot of ground and a lot of different weather--except in the summer months when it will be hot and humid wherever the trip takes you (except Tibet). In the spring and fall, the weather is more variable and will change from day to day. Actually, it is a lot like traveling in the US; think of a road trip from Miami to Boston or Chicago, at whatever time of year you are traveling and think what you would pack.

Also, temperature is relative. So, what some of us say was bearable others will say was too hot or too cold. IMHO, travel in weather that you are comfortable in because otherwise, you won't enjoy your travels and you will only remember how unhappy you were with the heat or the cold or the rain or the snow. You know what temperature ranges you prefer, so base your decision on the numbers.

Considering a mid March 2018 cruise. Price is $2,000 lower. What will the temps be in March? We live in Denver so have warm clothing.

Thanks in advance

As much as one can predict the weather so far in advance, I would think that it will be like weather here in New England at that time of the year temperture-wise and precipitation-wise. In other words, hard to predict accurately but certainly it will not be the heat and humidity of summer (which you pay extra for) and certainly it will be hat and gloves weather and maybe even umbrella weather and most certainly very changable from day to day and port to port as the transition from winter will have begun. The reason you save $2000 is because of the weather; many people don't want to cruise with overcoats let alone hats and gloves and they don't want to have to deal with rain on their vacation. IMHO, if you are willing to put up with the possibility of wet weather or unseasonable cold, then go for it.

I think I remember a number of people having done the cruise in March posting here; perhaps you can find their posts (try searching this thread for the word March)--and perhaps some of them will chime in in response to your question.

Another thought, besides the $2000 savings, the places you visit will be a lot less filled with tourists. There are some upsides to off season travel--it may have snowed with record setting cold in Paris in January but the lines for the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, etc. were short.

We sailed on March 6, 2016 from Beijing to Shanghai. Our weather was gorgeous. No rain, no smog. It was cold in Beijing but not unbearable. I did bring a warm coat that had a hood as well as gloves, but once we left Beijing, I switched to a light windbreaker. I loved going in March. There were no crowds and our ship was only half booked. Our tour guide told us the tourist season really gets busy from late April on. He said the wait time at the Terra Cotta museum alone could be 2-3 hours. We had no wait, just walked right in.

• 1 month later...

For those of you who have been on the Viking China trips - when we tour a bit before getting on a plane or arriving at our hotel what did you do with your carry on bags?

Leave them on the bus? Take them with you? We plan to have in our carry on's our prescriptions, our larger camera, iPad, chargers and possibly other high price items.

I'm wondering if they should be locked if we will be leaving them on the bus?

Thanks for any answers - we are leaving in 3 days! YIKES! It's taken me weeks to go through this tread and it has been very helpful.

We just got back last week. The whole thing, hotels, guides, buses, food, itinerary, boat, etc. etc. was terrific.

We could leave our carry-ons, cameras, coats, etc. on the bus each time we got off to tour, or eat, or whatever. We were told that the bus driver would stay with the bus. Some carry-ons were locked in the baggage (bottom) of the bus, and some we just left on our seats.

We never had a problem, and no-one reported any.

For those of you who have been on the Viking China trips - when we tour a bit before getting on a plane or arriving at our hotel what did you do with your carry on bags?

Leave them on the bus? Take them with you? We plan to have in our carry on's our prescriptions, our larger camera, iPad, chargers and possibly other high price items.

I'm wondering if they should be locked if we will be leaving them on the bus?

Thanks for any answers - we are leaving in 3 days! YIKES! It's taken me weeks to go through this tread and it has been very helpful.

The buses are either locked or attended by the driver. We had no problem leaving our carry ones on the bus and taking only what was needed for the tour.

One of our best vacations ever...enjoy!

One last (I think) question - we fly out tomorrow AM!

I have read reviews here about the Peking Duck Dinner at both the Horizon and Made in China.

Right now I have reservations at both on the night that Viking has their duck dinner. We're staying at the Kerry and since the Horizon is right there and it's the last night in Beijing after a full day of touring (it's the Great Wall Day). I'm thinking we should just stay at our own hotel and eat at the Horizon.

I'm also wondering if I should wait to cancel the Made in China reservation in case I meet another couple on our tour who might want our reservation. I had told both restaurants that we wanted the Duck for 2 people.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks so much - still packing!

We went to the Horizon at the Kerry and had an excellent meal there.

Can't beat it for convenience and it really was an excellent duck.

We made our reservation there for the first evening that we arrived in Beijing as that was on our own anyway.

That left us able to make a reservation at 'Black Sesame Kitchen' for the evening when the rest of the group had the official duck dinner.

That was the culinary highlight of our time in China, excellent food and an amazing evening.

• 1 month later...

Our understanding is that BSK dining is only available on Tuesdays and Fridays. Is this still correct or do they offer other days if they get a large enough reservation? Otherwise we plan to make a BSK reservation for Tuesday May 9.

Anybody else booked for this Imperial Jewels May trip?

Edited by Mitina
Edit

[quote name=Seahorse Lover;We are booked on the October 8' date=' 2017 Viking "Undiscovered China" trip. Has anyone taken this trip and is willing to report on any differences from the preceding posts?

Thanks in advance :)[/quote]

Different ship, but, anything China will be great! What a shock at how good our trip (gate1 2wks) was & how great China is to visit. Wonderful hotels & people! Yangtze was well worth it. China is modern, many people speak english, not crowded! ('Tho I just used toilets at the hotels, more frequent users had serious complaints about rural holes in the ground !).

I would learn the price of pearls, jade, & silk...I overpaid at the shops. When I bargained with street vendors I did much better, paying 10 to 25% of the asking price.

You'll have a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our understanding is that BSK dining is only available on Tuesdays and Fridays. Is this still correct or do they offer other days if they get a large enough reservation? Otherwise we plan to make a BSK reservation for Tuesday May 9.

Anybody else booked for this Imperial Jewels May trip?

Always easiest to just email them, English is not a problem and we found them to be very responsive.

One of the highlights of the trip for us so don't miss it :)

I am learning sooooo much from this China thread. Thank you to all posters!

We are booked on the October 8, 2017 Viking "Undiscovered China" trip. Has anyone taken this trip and is willing to report on any differences from the preceding posts?

Thanks in advance :)

Just remember, as you read the older threads here that Viking does tweak how it does things from year to the next, so information posted before the 2016 season my be out of date already. Hopefully, more people who travelled in 2016 will post about their experiences and point out any difference between what they read here and how it actually happened for them.

"Undiscovered China" is a relatively new itinerary and offered concurrently with the other China itineraries, so you will be on the 5-day cruise portion with folks doing "Imperial Jewels" and "Rooftop" (the one that includes Tibet).

Save

Always easiest to just email them, English is not a problem and we found them to be very responsive.

One of the highlights of the trip for us so don't miss it :)

Sent them an e-mail last week but hadn't heard back. Figured May 2017 is so far out that they're busy booking at more current requests. I'll follow up in few months.

I don't want to miss out, but sometimes making a request too early is as bad as being too late. I wonder how much advance notice they actually need.

We just returned from this exact trip about 3 weeks ago. These are my tips!

1. Be ready to not only walk quite a bit each day (especially when in Beijing) but you will also do quite a bit of stairs. It's not for the weak or disabled.

2. At the Wall Viking used to use a cable car to get from the parking to the Wall entrance, they no longer do this as the line could last over an hour and the cable car isn't very reliable. So be ready to walk up a VERY STEEP incline. And it goes for about a half a mile - so get yourself into shape to do this as well. I was not ready for this and it was difficult.

(I had a bad knee and it took it's toll on the entire trip - so much so that I'm getting a partial knee replacement in 2 weeks!)

3. Take some pocket size Kleenex with you - I had enough for our entire group. Stuff them into your shoes when packing. At home, I also would save toward the end of my toilet paper rolls for weeks before our trip - smash the rolls down and put into zip bags. These were very handy when toilet paper was not available.

4. Bring wet wipes - hand washing when out and about is hard and hardly ever do you have towels to dry your hands.

5. Don't worry about your prescriptions you bring. I fretted over this for quite a while as we always take small zip bags (2"x2") with our daily dosage in them. I had heard that you must bring the original bottles. We used our small zip bags and never had a problem with this issue.

6. Have your doctor give you a z-pack and a Cipro prescription (just in case) These we did leave in their original containers in our carry on bags. Also bring chew able pepto bismo and Imodium (just in case).

7. Don't bring ANY scissors in your carry on luggage (especially when you fly inter China) - they will be taken. Even the smallest ones will be lost.

8. Don't worry about exchanging USD into RMD as your first hotel in Beijing will do this for you. But be sure to bring bills that are not ripped, torn or too worn. I brought $500 new $50's and $100's and they were fine. We never had to go to an ATM and I came home with about $100 worth of RMD (which I will sell to a friend or use if we go again or to Hong Kong).

9. If possible go to Beijing on the Viking Extension. So worth it. You will be able to see the Summer Palace and the Temple of Heaven - which is not included in the regular tour. Also you will be able to acclimate to the time zone and the crazy that is Beijing. We had one free day which we took a taxi on our own to the Lama Temple. Very interesting and moving. Taxi there and back was about $7 USD total.

10. Also, if you have that spare night there before the tour book a night tour of Beijing with Tour Beijing http://www.tour-beijing.com/. We got to see a lot of the lights and sights of Beijing that the tour group missed.

11. Skip the Peking Duck dinner with the group. They all said it was just "so-so". If you are at the Kerry Hotel (love their toilets) then you can make a reservation with their concierge at their Horizon Restaurant. VERY good Peking Duck and if you are at another hotel make one with Made in China https://beijing.grand.hyatt.com/en/h...deinChina.html. We didn't eat there but I read very good things about it. When you make your reservation be sure to tell them that you want the Duck as it takes over 75 minutes to prepare.

12. Save some $$ for Shanghai and buy a picture at the Silk Art Gallery. Unbelievable pictures made of silk and they will haggle with you. We received ours just today, shipped beautifully.

13. On the ship - if you are a drinker (like us) buy the drink package. We were definitely ahead by doing this before we left. That way you get the better wines with lunch and dinner as well. The wait staff and bar tenders will even remember you and what you want to drink.

14. Also on the ship - have the tailor make you something in silk. I got a lined silk jacket made for just $118. Then I wanted a robe and that was $200! A bit more - but worth it. He works very fast and does great work.

15. Bring some $1 and $5 bills. You will use these at times for tips etc. and they come in handy.

16. Go well rested - you will need a vacation after this one as you are up early almost every morning. But it will be the most memorable vacation you will ever have.

Also, bring hand sanitizer and USE IT. Almost everyone in our group got a cold toward the end of the trip. Probably from handrails on the bus and not using it after we got in or out.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you have any other questions.

Some great advice there.

Only one I'd suggest people think about:

5. Don't worry about your prescriptions you bring. I fretted over this for quite a while as we always take small zip bags (2"x2") with our daily dosage in them. I had heard that you must bring the original bottles. We used our small zip bags and never had a problem with this issue.

If you are not selected for a more detailed inspection then yes, there is no need to worry.

The vast majority of people are not selected so it really is a small concern, but if you are selected and you have the tablets loose in bags with no accompanying packaging then you do run the risk of them being taken.

This is not specific to China, same is true of most countries including the USA :)

WOW!!! Thank you so much for all of the great advise!!!

I do have a couple of questions for now, with I am sure more to come later :).

Did anyone get vaccinations for this destination other than being current with normal recommended ones?

Can you tell me about your experience at the panda research center? This was the reason we choose this particular trip with Viking.

Our information shows our trip going from Shanghai to Beijing, which sounds the opposite of yours?

Do you need to sign up for the drink package in advance or once you get on the ship? And do you sign up for any additional activities in advance or once you arrive in China?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!! I'm gonna start my walking routine :)

Did anyone get vaccinations for this destination other than being current with normal recommended ones? We did not. No special ones are required.

Our information shows our trip going from Shanghai to Beijing... Our also was Shanghai to Beijing. There are some slight differences going in that direction.

And do you sign up for any additional activities in advance or once you arrive in China? The optional dinners and excursions are offered for signup during the trip and are paid for when you pay for any expenses while on the boat on the Yangtze.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!! I'm gonna start my walking routine :)

Have a great trip