In Ocho rios now, not liking it too much!

Ascott318

Not always we sailed on the Dream and docked at Coxen Hole which outside the fence can be scary. Also Belize is not an island Roatan is on an island.
yup that is where we docked, people really were afraid, however we wandered out to the market outside the fence and there were some beautiful handcrafts and wood carvings. Never felt threatened at all, mostly the children were coming up trying to sell you braclets, I bought a few and also gave out some gum and snacks, they were tickled as kids get when given treats. I loved the people there.

Carole

Googled cruiseports in Roatan found this:

Where does the ship dock?

The ship docks right outside of Coxen Hole (aka Roatan City) the economic and government center of Roatan. Downtown Coxen Hole (such as it is) is within easy walking distance of the ship.

So scchsgal was absolutely correct!!

Definitely no one would mistake it for Mahogany Bay!!!

Carole

It's been a few years since we've been but it was NOT a pretty port, I remember Roatan really well, but there really were people going back to the ship. Perhaps they changed where they dock? Not sure, anyone else been to Roatan long ago and then again recently???

I would never confuse Roatan with Belize, although I love both!!!

I know it did not dock at Mahogany Bay though, so it may have changed.

Cheers, Carole

Yep it does now........that port has been the big hoopla on cc for awhile now...man made beach, the sky ride to the beach etc....

[

Not always we sailed on the Dream and docked at Coxen Hole which outside the fence can be scary. Also Belize is not an island Roatan is on an island.

Not sure anyone said it was.....but yes you are correct.....

We were on a land vacation in Costa Ricta and walking around a small town and had several people come up to us and offer to sell us drugs. It can happen anywhere and more so when you are in poorer countries. Just say no and keep walking. I have traveled quite a bit out of the country and have never felt unsafe. However one time in Atlanta myself and another woman were walking to a restaurant one evening and someone came up to us and asked for money. We said we didn't have any cash and he proceeded to follow us for several blocks and then finally walked away. I was very uncomfortable in this situation.

I also do not understand the forced to buy comment. How did they force you to buy something?

The OP might have meant "pressured" to buy

-Stephanie

The one thing I remember about Jamaica is waiting for the bus in a building packed with hundreds of people for our excursion. And as per usual I had to Pee. So I asked one of the attendants where the restroom was. It was near the area by customs.

The only thing I remember besides the clean restrooms were guards with BIG guns.

Caught my attention.

Scurried back to my family.

Makes one think

Why do they need such big guns for us cruise passengers?

Safe travels.

Archived