SKYPE ... Help Please :)

QTPieRye

HELP~ Has anyone used SKYPE for calling from the ship and/or from Cabo or P.V.?

I just got a new Android and somebody told me that I can download skype and make free skype to skype calls or skype to skype video chat, both while on board and in port? Here are my questions:

Does Skype require a Wi-Fi connection to use?

If yes, does CCL charge for Wi-Fi use for Android / Iphone?

Is there a charge for data roaming from Sprint once I turn my phone on to get Wi-Fi access?

Same questions for port usage, although this seems a bit easier because I think I can find free Wi-Fi while in port... I am still concerned about the data roaming though.....

I just don't see how this is free ? :o ?

You will have to buy an internet package and log on from your laptop or smart phone but yes, Skype does work on the ships. A lot of folks say it doesn't work but it does. I've used skype on Carnival Magic, Fascination, Sensation, Destiny, Dream, and Liberty.

As far as on land, any internet cafe you'll be fine, a lot are free but some cafe's charge.

Good luck!

this is what I did:

I have an Itouch...I obviously can access wifi from my home...when I am out, I can only use SKYPE if I have some place that offers free WiFi..

( Margaritaville, McDonalds, Starbucks, Barnes and Noble).

You buy minutes in $10 increments..When you need to make a call, you go to a free wi fi center ( or cheap wifi cafe!)..and make your call. Yes, you will need an internet connection.

The PROBLEM is that if there are a lot of people using the free wifi at one time, there will be lots of static. but the calls I made from Nassau and Grand Turk were 3 cents a minute.

You will have to buy an internet package and log on from your laptop or smart phone but yes, Skype does work on the ships. A lot of folks say it doesn't work but it does. I've used skype on Carnival Magic, Fascination, Sensation, Destiny, Dream, and Liberty.

As far as on land, any internet cafe you'll be fine, a lot are free but some cafe's charge.

Good luck!

So the advantage is you are charged at an internet minutes rate instead of cell phone per minute rate? Interesting, that would save $.

If you set your phone to 'local only' you shouldn't be able to use your phone as a phone...so, you shouldn't be hit with roaming? I'm not android savvy tho..that is just an assumption? I do that with my 'just a phone' so I can use it for other things when I am in port or on the ship.

this is what I did:

I have an Itouch...I obviously can access wifi from my home...when I am out, I can only use SKYPE if I have some place that offers free WiFi..

You buy minutes in $10 increments..When you need to make a call, you go to a free wi fi center ( or cheap wifi cafe!)..and make your call. Yes, you will need an internet connection.

The PROBLEM is that if there are a lot of people using the free wifi at one time, there will be lots of static. but the calls I made from Nassau and Grand Turk were 3 cents a minute.

were they skype calls or sprint calls for 3 cents pm those are the two ports im trying to get info about

this is what I did:

Thanks.... I think I've got it... still not clear on the cost though. I thought skype --> skype calls were free?? We planned on downloading Skype to our kids phones, finding a free Wi-Fi connection, and then make a skype to skype call for free.

Thanks.... I think I've got it... still not clear on the cost though. I thought skype --> skype calls were free?? We planned on downloading Skype to our kids phones, finding a free Wi-Fi connection, and then make a skype to skype call for free.

skype to skype is free..I left my kids home with my mother, and it was easier to call home to the land line, as port times didn't correspond with when they were home from school. Believe it or not, I even used facebook chat on Grand Turk to talk to my younger daughter because I happened to catch her online when I logged in due to a half day I forgot about!

Just remember that free wifi spots are also hotspots for crew, and the more people on the wifi, the slower your connection.

So, to clarify: ( or to overstate, depending!)

When I was in Nassau, I went to the Mc.Donalds near the British Colonial Hilton to make a SKYPE to land line call using their free WiFi at $ .03 a minute.

When I was in GT, I used FB to talk to my kid who was online, utilizing the free WIFI at Jacks ( Margaritaville is free, too..but a hotspot for crew to use!).. I also made a skype to landline call for the same 3 cents a minute. I could have used skype to skype to talk to my daughter...and it would have been FREE.

skype to skype is free..I left my kids home with my mother, and it was easier to call home to the land line, as port times didn't correspond with when they were home from school. Believe it or not, I even used facebook chat on Grand Turk to talk to my younger daughter because I happened to catch her online when I logged in due to a half day I forgot about!

Just remember that free wifi spots are also hotspots for crew, and the more people on the wifi, the slower your connection.

So, to clarify: ( or to overstate, depending!)

When I was in Nassau, I went to the Mc.Donalds near the British Colonial Hilton to make a SKYPE to land line call using their free WiFi at $ .03 a minute.

When I was in GT, I used FB to talk to my kid who was online, utilizing the free WIFI at Jacks ( Margaritaville is free, too..but a hotspot for crew to use!).. I also made a skype to landline call for the same 3 cents a minute. I could have used skype to skype to talk to my daughter...and it would have been FREE.

Awesome ideas :) Thanks!

Archived