Any Suggetions for Motion Sickness

Four more Saturdays and we are shoving off on Voyager out of Miami! :D

But, we have some motion sickness issues. :eek: Voyager should limit the sea sickness if the waters are calm. But, in case we run into turbulence or rough seas, does anybody have any ideas? I have heard Bonine (sp) works well, but not sure if it is good for air travel and cruising. Be interested to know anyone's experience with it. And...can you take it with alchohol? What is the duration? Will it last 24 hours, 12 hours, 3 hours?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Doug and Roz

Bonine or "less drowsy" Dramamine work very well for me.....I get motion sick just LOOKING at a carousel! When I feel that off-balance, queasy feeling starting on a ship, I head for fresh air, and keep walking. Once I sit down, it intensifies the sense of motion, as does an enclosed space (which is why flying is difficult for me!). I keep mints with me, and have some dry snacks (pretzels, small crackers) in my cabin. Looking at the horizon instead of trying to focus on something closer helps, too. The first day of a cruise is the worst for me.....once I get my "sea legs", I'm all set!

If you drink alcohol while using motion sickness medication, it can make you very sleepy.

Dramamine is a good over the counter motion sickness pill also. If you go to your doctor and ask for The prescription required "Transderm-scope patch, which is the best proven item for motion sickness, if you have no major medical problems. Only real side effect is dry mouth. One patch behind the ear last for 3 days.

RX

My traveling buddies wear the patch and have never had a sea sickness problem. I prefer Bonine. I usually take it at night before bed because it can make some people sleepy. If it's really rough, I'll take one in the morning and one at night and I've never had a problem either.

Another vote for Bonine here. I started taking it the night before the cruise and then took one pill each night before bed. Despite a bit of rocky weather, I never had a problem.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Laurie

I've got a seaband "watch" for my husband for our cruise tomorrow. His sister who gets seasick, airsick uses it with great results!. Just in case I do bring bonine which used to be the stuff Docs prescribed.

Oh, if you do get a seaband, get the $80-100 one, not the $10 one which is apparently worthless.

Happy sailing!

Elaine

I worked off shore 42' vessel for to weeks at a time on that small a boat you see some sickness come and go

A nible of fresh ginger and smell its aroma and or a tiny sip of coke syrup will give immediate relief.

As for the drugs a strongly sugjest dont take any and dont drink heavy the and not at all the first day out if at all possible.

Remeber there is no such thing as motion sickness {just keep telling yourself that and it will be true} there realy is'nt, it's in your head only because you let it in you have the power to toss it out!

May the force be with you, lol

I start taking it the day before we board I get it at the health food store. It is called Ginger Max. Don't know if I would get sick but not taking any chances..

Granduer 1999

Victory 2001

Triumph 2003

Explorer 2005

On our recent cruise, my friend told me that a nurse had told her to tape an aspirin to your navel! I kid you not! On our 4th day while walking the deck, we could see the bow heaving up and down....it was a tad shaky for the rest of the day and night. Sooooo.......what else to do? Two of us (out of a group of eight) did the aspirin thing....no problems! Those less inclined took something (not sure what). Bottom line....not a hint of queasiness from the two aspirin wearers! As I said in another post....."Some people wore diamonds in their navels....we wore aspirins!") This could set a whole new trend!

M.

We use ginger and I would not chance it without. We take 2 capsules the day of the cruise and then again at night. Each morning and late afternoon doses fends it all off. Our kids even take them...this last cruise non were seasick. On others, our teen just thought she would not get sick so did not take the ginger--- it is a lot harder to live with seasickness than take those capsules..she learned!

I took ginger tablets on the Jewel in February. On our last cruise I suffered from mild headaches due to the "motion", I brought them along and one per day was enough to keep all symptoms away.

And our friend, mmcruise, had brought along bonine and seabands (which she swore worked wonders with all the nausea she had while pregnant with her now 2.5 YO son) and neither helped. She was suffering from significant motion sickness and after 2-3 days, I offered her a ginger pill. She took it and within a couple of hours, it settled in and by dinner the next night, still didn't have any problems. So I brought her seven pills to last throughout the week and even on the very rough Day at Sea at the end, she didn't have any problems.

The best thing is that it is all natural and has no alcohol interaction (and dramamine, bonine, and the patch all recommend that you not drink alcohol while using). I used a product called GingerForce which is supposedly a stronger dose of ginger than most tabs. I found it at my local health food store, but you can also find it on the web.

I get motion sickness driving my car on windy roads, so I was really worried before my first cruise. I don't like the side effects of medications, so I went the natural route. I take ginger capsules and use the acupressure bands. They work great and there are no side effects. I don't drink a ton, but I do have some alcohol every day of the cruise and I never had any problems with that. After the first day or so, I usually don't even need them anymore, unless the seas get rough, then I start it all up again. Another thing that will work right away if you start feeling sick, is ginger Altoids. We used them on the last cruise for seasickness and for hangovers. They settle your stomach within a few minutes.

We sailed on NCL Dawn last April. During the first sea day, between NY and Port Canaveral, we had stormy weather and moderately high seas. The four of us (DH,two sons5, and 10, and I) preventively took Hyland's motion sickness remedy. The ship was rocking back and forth up and down; we were sort of wandering from side to side as we walked. Sometime in the afternoon, we thought it was odd that there were very few peolple around. We wondered where they were, and what we were missing! LOL!! We heard later from some CC friends on board that they were not feeling well and spent most of the day in their cabins. Apparently, many passengers had taken ill. We were fine...all four of us! I'm sticking with my homeopathic remedy. Ginger is great also.

Archived