St Petersburg/Tampa

swom

We are coming in very early (9:00 AM) 2 days before our cruise. Can anyone that lives here or been here give me a few suggestions on what to do while in the Tampa/St Pete area? We love the ocean, but will be there in April, so not sure the beach will be warm enough. Any suggestions on things to do???

Thanks so much!!!

I would suggest rent a car, and take a hotel/motel/condo rental in either Clearwater beach, or Treasure Island/Madeira Beach or St Pete Beach area. My personal choice would be Treasure Island or Madeira beach area. April can be a bit cool, but more than likely comfortably warm for the beach,and sometimes can be quite warm, ( ocean temp could be a bit cool ) but pools should warm up during the day. Lots of things to see and do in the beaches area. If beaches are not your thing, then Busch Gardens in Tampa is great and YBor city. On cruise day, you can return your car to the rental agency, and take cab or shuttle to the cruise port. Pinellas county ( St Petersburg, and beaches area is very easy driving ). So this just my opinion, but I love this area, and two days will probably have you wishing for more time there..:)

afterthought..since you love the ocean..there are some nice boating trips out various places on the gulf coast. I always enjoyed the shelling tours. they bring you to some small uninhabited islands where you can roam the beaches and pick shells. The sand is pristine white. Also Ft De Soto Park is fantastic and very natural, and you can see the Sunshine Skyway bridge that you will be sailing under.

The Gulf should be in the 70's by April, which may be warm enough for you if you're used to Virginia ocean temperatures. Clearwater Beach is nice but so is the entire coast down to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. If you enjoy art at all, don't miss the Salvador Dali Museum in St. Pete.

There are so many great things to do in the area. My faves are:

Downtown St Pete:

Offers restaurants, museums, little shops, surrey rentals, carriage rides, waterfront parks and beautiful vistas.

John's Pass :

Between St Pete Beach and Clearwater Beach. "Located on the waterfront at Johns Pass, this quaint turn-of-the-century fishing village is Pinellas County’s #1 tourist attraction. Over one hundred merchants inhabit the Village with unique retail shopping, a variety of restaurants, the local fishing fleet, dolphin watching and shelling tours, boat rentals, parasailing and jet skiing. Plenty of parking: There is metered on-street parking located conveniently throughout the Village, as well as a new state-of-the-art multi-level parking garage adjacent to Bubba Gumps and Hubbards Marina. The beach is a short stroll away"

Treasure Island Beach:

Has a drum circle on Sunday night, a good place to go to just relax and get away from it all.

I'm not sure what you like, but the above 3 are my favorite. Clearwater beach is nice as well, but can be very crowded- which is a negative for me.

We usually stay at the Alden Beach Resort on St.Pete Bch. All of the rooms are suites which make it really nice. Their rates are really good too.

www.aldenbeachresort.com Ft.Desoto is very close and a fun way to spend the day. The tour of the fort is fun and the beach offers some of the best shelling around the area. http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_ft_desoto.htm

The St Pete Pier http://stpetepier.com/ and John's Pass http://johnspass.com/ are also some other ideas on a fun way to spend the day.

Thanks for all the great advice. I really do appreciate it. We are kinda looking at: MAGNUSON HOTEL - MARINA COVE because of the rates we can get if we book air/hotel together.

Hopefully, there is lots to do in that area. I think this hotel is in St Pete.

Can we get to the places you all mentioned pretty easy from there?

Thanks so much!!!!

Thanks for all the great advice. I really do appreciate it. We are kinda looking at: MAGNUSON HOTEL - MARINA COVE because of the rates we can get if we book air/hotel together.

Hopefully, there is lots to do in that area. I think this hotel is in St Pete.

Can we get to the places you all mentioned pretty easy from there?

Thanks so much!!!!

I know that hotel very well. It used to be The Holiday Inn Sunspree near the Skyway Bridge. Just to let you know, it is not on a beach. There is water, but it flows into the bay and it's really not like being on the beach. I just wanted to let you know this in case you were expecting a white sand, frolic- in- the- surf type beach. It is a nice hotel and does offer lots to do but just not on the beach. Have a great time and a great cruise.:)

Yes, we do know it's not actually on the beach, but in the cove. My TA said it had good snorkeling, but don't know about that. As long as I see water from my balcony, I don't care. LOL

Tripadvisor has pretty good reviews on this place, so I'm happy with it. I really do appreciate your input....it's people like you that make this site so wonderful....I just really hope we can get in the water and it's not too cold.

Everyone is so great to share their knowledge on here. I have some great ideas now thanks to all the posts, so I'm starting to plan...

I do hope I get more input though, because the more I know the more I can plan.

Thanks again to you and everyone for being so informative!!! I just can't tell you how much help you all are!!!!!! :D

I know that hotel very well. It used to be The Holiday Inn Sunspree near the Skyway Bridge. Just to let you know, it is not on a beach. There is water, but it flows into the bay and it's really not like being on the beach. I just wanted to let you know this in case you were expecting a white sand, frolic- in- the- surf type beach. It is a nice hotel and does offer lots to do but just not on the beach. Have a great time and a great cruise.:)

Archived