Poll 1: Best HAL ship for Food in Main Dining Room

Pereiras

Poll 1: Best food on a HAL ship in Main Dining Room  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Poll 1: Best food on a HAL ship in Main Dining Room

If interested, please vote on the HAL ship from the list which you believe to have the best food in the MAIN dining room. (Not the speciality, or buffets). I do realize this is highly subjective, and perhaps based on only once cruise experience on HAL. Please only vote if you have taken a HAL cruise before.

I voted for Veendam since that was the best food for the ships that you listed. However, I thought that the Ryndam had the best food of any HAL ship that I've been on - the fish was exquisite! (Jan-Feb 2003).

Of course all changes from time to time as staff move around.

Thanks Granny.. I wanted to include all , but was limited by the 10 limit.. darn.. sorry about that. I will keep this in mind though, and informally keep a record.

Thanks very much for letting me know...

You left out the wrong ones! The Rotterdam is one of the most popular ships, we have been on her 4 times and so have many others.

Thank you.. for both votes.. Rotterdam has a few posts here!

It's a shame that you were only limited to 10 slots which doesn't cover all the ships.

We voted for the Amsterdam but would have voted for the Rotterdam had that ship been listed.

Actually, this is what I was beginning to see. Other posters have also made note of this. It seems that the Zuiderdam attracts very polarized responses. Either a great fondness for it, or a strong dislike. Don't discount the poll.. it is confirming what a lot of people have been saying. Yes I am in the latter category, but, I can see there are an equal number in the former...

Looks like Zuiderdam has the best and worst food. So much for polls.:eek:

Thank you.. Ryndam got a lot of votes.. should have included it, and perhaps dropped one of the others.. only had 10 spots though max..

I am upset, Both Tom and I instantly said Ryndam, then saw Ryndam was not listed. So I am not voting because our vote is for Ryndam. The next best for us was Oosterdam.

I have seen very little difference between HAL ships. In fact the menus and recipes are identical and the chefs and their staffs are interchangeable.

That said, I prefer the Rotterdam (old 5 and new 6) because I like the ambience of the dining rooms.

(The old Rott DR had no windows but operated like a fine, first class NYC room.)

Wow.. thanks for taking the time to post here Walt.

Pereiras

I have seen very little difference between HAL ships. In fact the menus and recipes are identical and the chefs and their staffs are interchangeable.

That said, I prefer the Rotterdam (old 5 and new 6) because I like the ambience of the dining rooms.

(The old Rott DR had no windows but operated like a fine, first class NYC room.)

Here is the entire quote, and the next post after it. Kind of ironic that this posting of this quote brought this thread to the top, and was done by one of the very folks referenced herein. Having a good time here.. thanks!

From Princess thread...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMB410

OP-A great observation! I've often thought that there are three kinds of people reading the CC boards.

The first group, those who are researching a cruise line /ship /itinerary before booking, seems to welcome and appreciate all criticism, positive and negative, posted by past cruisers.

The second group has already booked on a particular cruise line /ship/ itinerary, and wants to hear ONLY positive criticism (there IS such a thing!) about that cruise line /ship /itinerary, as it reinforces a decision they've already made.

And the third group tends to be the highest level of cruiser in a particular cruise line's loyalty program, and can't accept that their tried and true favorite can be anything less than perfect.

I find myself a member of all three groups on differing occasions!

There is a 4th Category. Those who have travelled, found a major problem, and want to inform others, so that they don't make the same mistake. They are deemed to be bashers, and interlopers. Group 2 and 3 frequently try to choke Group 4. When group 4 responds, they cry to the board, and to the moderator. It should all be in good fun. Hey, we are speaking about vacations here, not life and death struggles. If you think it is bad here, you should see the children on the HAL threads. And I thought HAL attracted a 'mature' crowd.

calif cruise user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_3430968", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

I researched this board high and low for several weeks before I joined. Many times I wanted to write a very scathing note to those who bash the negative critics.

There is a core group, and you know who you are, that cannot let a single negative go by without some sort of pounding. Ever hear of freedom of speech? I find that reading a negative review (large and small problems) is just a fulfilling as a great review. I prefer to know about everything involved. This is not the **** board! Write what you desire.

jc:D

Is Chef John Mulvaney still around HAL? (If so, does anyone know which ship he's on?) That's the ship that would get my vote.

I wasn't going to answer this for fear of bringing it back to the top, but since it's there anyway:( I will.

As far as I know John is still with HAL, but is no longer an Executive Chef on the ships. He was given a new position as some sort of overseer of the other chefs. As I understand it he goes from ship to ship in a kind of supervisory function. :confused:

I really don't understand it, and miss him as Executive Chef very much. You always knew when he was in charge there was going to be mighty good eatin's! :)

Looks like Zuiderdam has the best and worst food. So much for polls.:eek:
This should not be too surprising. There are few things on a cruise that are as subjective as food. We all have different tastes, and different levels of expectation.

DW still laughs at me (32 years later) when we went to a fancy French restaurant that offered a choice of one of two different entrees. I chose sowbelly! I though it might be something like bacon, and I really didn't care for the other choice. NOPE, it was sowbelly, and (to my taste) it was awful.

Some folks absolutely love snails swimming in garlic butter. I think they MIGHT be OK, if you steamed them and served them with a spicy cocktail sauce a la shrimp cocktail. I enjoy the taste of kim chee, but others would say ugh.

The nice thing about cruising is that the waitstaff has seen this issue of "this is not for me" many times before. If something doesn't taste good to you, let them know that you'd like to try something else. The item may be bad, like the rubbery, overcooked lobster tail I had on the Zdam. Or, it may be prepared exactly like the chef intended, but it just isn't good to your taste. Don't make a big deal, just tell the waiter, " I really don't care for this, could you bring me some ....."

Life is too short to get indigestion over food. (Did I say that?):D

Archived