Elegant Night or Not?

jtdlmc

Elegant, formal or not?  

677 members have voted

1. 1. Elegant, formal or not?

• Go back to Formal Night where everyone dresses in gowns and tuxes.
    • Keep it how it is but enforce the dress code.
    • Have an "elegant or not night" - nice jeans would be acceptable.
    • Have one dining room formal and the other not for elegant night.

John Heald asked a question on Facebook as to whether people still enjoyed Elegant night (and the Captain's Party)? There were several ideas brought up as to how Carnival could keep everyone happy. I personally do not care what anyone wears in the dining room as long as they are clean and do not have body odor as that would ruin the meal for anyone within smelling distance. What someone else is wearing has absolutely no bearing on whether I enjoy my meal or not. So, my preference would be to have something like another cruise line has where you can dress up or not and nice jeans can be worn in any eating establishment on that line. IMO jeans and a nice shirt are fine - especially when it comes to paying for extra baggage when flying and purchasing these clothes that will probably never been worn again. What would you prefer?

I would prefer that those people who think its so great to dress up,would at least try and make the look complete by going on a diet or at the very least get some clothes that fit!!:eek::eek:

I am amazed at how these overweight or unfit people will stuff themselves into a suit thats too small for them or not tailored to them.The image of a weeble comes into my mind.And the women,rolls are to be on the dinner table,not on the person.If the women want to play "look at me" in an elegant or formal setting,beaded flip flops or flats are not formal. I for one am happy the codes are relaxed. I also do not think it appropriate for a man to wear a kilt into an eating establishment.Gives another meaning to "there's a hair in my soup".

There should be two MDR's with EXACTLY THE SAME MENU. One for those who truly dress up to the guidelines (and Carnival should enforce them) and one for those who don't feel like it.

As long as they only offer lobsters in MDR, there will be folks who dress less than suggested. Lido doesn't count because the food is different.

There you have it

I would prefer that those people who think its so great to dress up,would at least try and make the look complete by going on a diet or at the very least get some clothes that fit!!:eek::eek:

I am amazed at how these overweight or unfit people will stuff themselves into a suit thats too small for them or not tailored to them.The image of a weeble comes into my mind.And the women,rolls are to be on the dinner table,not on the person.If the women want to play "look at me" in an elegant or formal setting,beaded flip flops or flats are not formal. I for one am happy the codes are relaxed. I also do not think it appropriate for a man to wear a kilt into an eating establishment.Gives another meaning to "there's a hair in my soup".

i used to laugh at some posters excuses that they didn't like to dress because it was "uncomfortable".

that just told me they got a little "bigger" since they bought their clothes.

L cat, who said any thing about snooty.

Take a valium.

ncl is the most casual, ccl is the second most casual.

dispute that if you have other evidence.

I do dress up and sip tea with my little finger extended.

Whats wrong with that?

All things are ranked from the lowest to highest.

Lowest isn't necessarly bad. Just a starting point.:cool:

L cat, who said any thing about snooty.

Take a valium.

ncl is the most casual, ccl is the second most casual.

dispute that if you have other evidence.

I do dress up and sip tea with my little finger extended.

Whats wrong with that?

All things are ranked from the lowest to highest.

Lowest isn't necessarly bad. Just a starting point.:cool:

Okay, by what standards? Is there some sort of empirical ranking system you can link to? Or is just your personal opinion?

And I didn't find NCL less casual than CCL at all. In fact, you can't even wear shorts in their "casual" dining room.

i used to laugh at some posters excuses that they didn't like to dress because it was "uncomfortable".

that just told me they got a little "bigger" since they bought their clothes.

Find me a comfortable pair of pantyhose and an underwire bra, H8. ;)

We don't get dressed up on a daily basis, so we love to get dressed up on special occasions and really enjoy formal nights. It is so nice to have a nice dinner in the dining room and then go to the clubs for a drink and dancing with everyone looking so nice. We are taking our kids on their first cruise and part of the fun was getting them their nice outfits to wear. I always laugh at people who have nothing to wear to formal nights. Don't they attend weddings or funerals at home during the year? We find tons of stuff at thrift stores, they always have nice dresses and suits for sale at discount prices.

I always laugh at people who have nothing to wear to formal nights. Don't they attend weddings or funerals at home during the year?

I always laugh at people who make a big deal about formal night. Don't they have cocktail parties and balls to attend the rest of the year?

(I've never worn a cocktail dress to a funeral. I think my mother would slap the face off my head if I did. )

We don't get dressed up on a daily basis, so we love to get dressed up on special occasions and really enjoy formal nights. It is so nice to have a nice dinner in the dining room and then go to the clubs for a drink and dancing with everyone looking so nice. We are taking our kids on their first cruise and part of the fun was getting them their nice outfits to wear. I always laugh at people who have nothing to wear to formal nights. Don't they attend weddings or funerals at home during the year? We find tons of stuff at thrift stores, they always have nice dresses and suits for sale at discount prices.

Why not? There are many charitable events that incorporate the opportunity to dress up for their gala events.

I laugh at people who are not educated enough to understand that CCL does not have a Formal night anymore.:rolleyes:

I always laugh at people who make a big deal about formal night. Don't they have cocktail parties and balls to attend the rest of the year?

(I've never worn a cocktail dress to a funeral. I think my mother would slap the face off my head if I did. )

LOL, I guess we should laugh at those who wear a cocktail dress to a funeral.

As they say, "each to their own," in whatever you decide to do.

We, ladies in our 60's LOVE to dress up to the 9's, especially for formal nights. :) We don't get to do this at home.:(

We like the traditional dining, and when dining on nights other than formal nights, we still dress very nice. Someone mentioned that dressing up or to the 9's (my expression) draws attention, and I can say YES, it does at time, and I "appreciate" the attention I get at my age.;) It isn't just the men that notice, but the women have come up to me and remarked how nice I look, and they are NOT doing it just to be nice. I work for a large corporation and have always tried to look nice except at home, when I "let my hair down :), maybe that is "old fashion" in these days :rolleyes:, but that is me.

The captains party was alright when they had free alcohol. Now that they don't, we will probably skip it, except to grab a quick $1 off drink, since we would probably have one anyway (and I like to save a dollar!). I don't have an issue with dressing decently for dinner. I don't want to have to wear a formal gown or anything, but as far as dressing nice, it does not bother me. I figure we are going to have one or two pairs of long pants with us because its kinda cold inside on the ship anyway, and black or khaki pants are lighter weight than jeans are! As far as shirts I am a "blouse" kind of girl, not into t-shirts with writing. The shirts I wear typically can go with jeans, shorts or dress pants. DD is a baby so she is going to wear cute clothes. So it just leaves DH. Again he is going to wear long pants because its drafty. He does wear t-shirts normally so it means packing a few extra shirts, but they can be worn more than one time (especially if its eat and then change). Honestly, if they did away with dress code I would probably still wear the same stuff to dinner and DH would split between dress shorts and slacks anyway.

What I don't like is when we go to an AI in Mexico and its 90+ degrees and the restaurants are semi open air w/o AC and they are requiring that mean were long pants to dinner. Most of the trip on an AI is spent outside in the heat so you really are having to take a second wardrobe. And did I mention its HOT!

To me elegant night is a part of the cruise experience and I wish they would enforce the dress code for this one night. Tuxes and gowns may be a bit much, but a pair of dress slacks and a dress shirt for the guys and a nice cocktail dress for the ladies can be "elegant." If folks don't want to shed their shorts or jeans for one meal, there should be another venue where they can enjoy the same menu.

As far as the flying/luggage thing goes, how much space can one outfit really take up? A pair of khakis is probably lighter than a pair of jeans anyway!! :p

If your spouse/significant other was taking you out to dinner at a fine restaurant in your town would you wear cutoffs and flip flops??? The MDR is supposed to be a fine dining experience, not a trip to Denny's :p It is nice to enjoy that atmosphere for one night on the cruise. It's part of the overall experience. Try it, you just might like it!

As far as the flying/luggage thing goes, how much space can one outfit really take up? A pair of khakis is probably lighter than a pair of jeans anyway!! :p

If your spouse/significant other was taking you out to dinner at a fine restaurant in your town would you wear cutoffs and flip flops??? The MDR is supposed to be a fine dining experience, not a trip to Denny's :p It is nice to enjoy that atmosphere for one night on the cruise. It's part of the overall experience. Try it, you just might like it!

If you sre going with a carry on only,its allot.

How do you figure its much better than a dennys? Its more on par with a chucke cheese if you think about it.

Its an event

The mouse is wearing a tux

People dress up a little for the party

There is hoopla

People dancing on tables

People singing

Even an occasional conga line. (OK,I started it)

ncl is the most casual, .:cool:

The funny thing is, passengers that I have seen on NCL do NOT dress like slobs....

I think resort casual is perfect. I no longer feel the need to be in a full length dress, but some people really do stretch the limit with 'casual'...

I vote for enforcing the current dress code. I know that with the travel restrictions and cost of checked luggage, we are all trying to not pack so much. But..... last time I cruised, there were people coming into the main dining room in gym shorts, flip flops (not sandals), baseball caps, etc. I just found it sad that people are so opposed to putting on a nice pair of slacks and a shirt vs. dressing like they just got out of the swimming pool or going to shoot some hoops. Here we are all being served a multi-course meal on china, linens and crystal, and served by a waitstaff in uniform, yet some people think it is acceptable to dress down so much. I get not wanting to cart the tux and long formal gown but surely there is a compromise between that and gym shorts???

I couldn't have said it better.

Wearing workout clothes, ball caps, and the like in the MDR is disrespectful to the entire food service department - from the chef right down through the assistant waiters.

If you threw a dinner party and told everyone in advance that they were to be served with the quality of food, service, and presentation that one gets in the MDR, would you expect your guests to arrive in ripped jeans and worn out sneakers?

Sorry, but "I'm on vacation!!!" is just lame and sounds like a pouting child ("I'm on vacation!!...and you can't make me!!!"). You're on vacation when you visit the cathedrals of Europe, too, but good luck getting in if you don't meet the dress code.

As for "buying clothes I'll never wear again," really? You'll never wear a sportcoat or a nice dress again?

Archived