Newbie with questions on wine policy/price

mrstlt

We'll be on the Century out of Ft. Lauderdale on November 7. I think we're going to spend the night of the 6th at the Marriott Courtyard right by the airport.

Does anyone know of anyplace nearby that sells wine? We'd like to bring a couple of bottles onboard to enjoy in our stateroom. That won't preclude us from enjoying wine with dinner in the dining room, but we have a couple of favorite wines that probably will not be on Celebrity's wine list, and we'd really rather NOT pack them in our luggage for our flight from Chicago.

I don't think we're going to rent a car in Ft. Lauderdale, so if you know of a place near the Courtyard (which is at 400 Gulf Stream Way), we'd love it if you'd share the info.

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for the great links, they are working fine for me. No problem doing FTP to your server.

BTW, I have now just completely swapped FTP servers, so if you would give it another go (you got bounced while I was configuring the new one!), I'd appreciate it.

BTW, I have now just completely swapped FTP servers, so if you would give it another go (you got bounced while I was configuring the new one!), I'd appreciate it.

No change with either WS_FTP or the Windows command line FTP client - they still time out on an LS. I also tried the Windows Explorer ftp client - same thing. Connects fine, times out on a directory listing.

Dave,

I don't know what you are running as an O.S. and I have not read the whole thread. But you may want to go into I.E. 6 and go to tools, internet options, advanced, scroll down to Use passive FTP. Uncheck Passive FTP if checked apply and try again. that is what worked for me. I am running windows 2000. I have not tried my other computer yet (windows XP Pro SP2).

Hi,

Thanks for the great links, they are working fine for me. No problem doing FTP to your server.

Glad to hear it. I don't understand Char's problem of interrupted transfers, but I believe I'm getting a handle on the other primary problem. As I had to do with Firefox's FTP (FireFTP) yesterday, you also had to shut down Passive FTP in IE6. My guess is that if IE6 knows there's a DSL or other issue that may not permit use of Port 20, it automatically sets this. I'm used to only dealing with Active FTP since firewalls here and the router at home don't complain. With luck, I think I know how to resolve this when I return home this evening.

I don't have DSL...only dial up. I checked my Advanced settings and the passive FTP was not checked. What is checked is "Enable folder view for FTP sites".Still times out whith out giving me any content at all. I know you techies will figure it out. If not, could roudacruise put the other menus on his http site?:p

Canderson, still wierd. FTP from dos prompt works but not from IE or WS_FTP. Actually IE gives a folder view, but its impossible to download the file. Also, the passive FTP switch is set as you recommended. Not a network guru so don't know how to help you.

Char, if Canderson gives the green light I can put up more of the stuff on my website - after I finish my taxes ;).

Canderson, still wierd. FTP from dos prompt works but not from IE or WS_FTP. Actually IE gives a folder view, but its impossible to download the file. Also, the passive FTP switch is set as you recommended. Not a network guru so don't know how to help you.

Char, if Canderson gives the green light I can put up more of the stuff on my website - after I finish my taxes ;).

By all means, grab all of the *.pdf files that you find there.

Well, I don't know whether it was the changed server, or the fact I turned off my firewall...but I'm having NO problems from the dinosaur site with downloads on IE 6, with XP for home (no service pak 2).

Just FYI.

And thank you very much for sharing these pdf's with everyone. It's very much appreciated!

Kate

You aren't supposed to bring your own liquor on board, but we did. People on these message boards said go ahead and pack it in your packed luggage, not your carry on. Even the cleaning people didn't rat us out. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary and brought whiskey in a plastic bottle. We consumed quite a bit of what we brought as well as a nice amount bought in lounges, etc. We normally don't drink this much, but for an anniversary, we did. Hope you have fun on your cruise.

Well, I don't know whether it was the changed server, or the fact I turned off my firewall...but I'm having NO problems from the dinosaur site with downloads on IE 6, with XP for home (no service pak 2).
Likely it was shutting off the firewall which allowed ports 20 and 21 to be accessed. XP is, by default, pretty brutal about what it allows and disallows. I've shut off the XP firewall entirely on anything that has a router that can be used to deal with these issues.

Yipee :D I can now get the menus :p Didn't do anything different, just tried again and voila--there they were!
You mean from my original links??? Haven't touched anything all day -- I've been (ostensibly, anyway!) at work!

You mean from my original links??? Haven't touched anything all day -- I've been (ostensibly, anyway!) at work!

Yep--the original link that took me to "FTP root at dinosaurboard.com." Thanks! Whatever gremelins were at work have left the computer! :p

An update on the FTP, for me anyways. It works on the Win2k Computer, but timesout on the Windows XP. Still looking through all the I.E. settings, firewall, and Norton options.

I am running windows 2000. I have not tried my other computer yet (windows XP Pro SP2).

don't know of any liquor stores in the area. Perhaps you can ask someone at the hotel, or look in the local phonebook once you arrive at your hotel.

I'd love to see this thread get back to the question of wine. Perhaps the FTP, etc questions and comments should be in an entirely different thread.

I'd love to see this thread get back to the question of wine. Perhaps the FTP, etc questions and comments should be in an entirely different thread.
We've already had quite a number of threads on just that topic -- to the point where I have a ready-made cut-and-paste document that gets pasted in fairly regularly. But I understand your frustration. Please also understand that since the original questions of this topic seems to come up in a brand new thread about once every other week, I'm working on find a means for answering that question more thoroughly and more quickly, but from a technical perspective, it's turned out to be more of a problem than one might have expected.

Believe me, I'd MUCH rather talk about wine than internet protocols.

Meanwhile, a few threads that may be of interest to you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=131215

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=137509

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=137509

I genuinely appreciate the link to the threads. Actually, I think it's how I got my original idea of bringing our own wine aboard.

But my question is very specific: where can we buy wine in Ft. Lauderdale so we don't have to pack it in our luggage that's coming from Chicago with us?

Maybe I need a Ft. Lauderdale local to steer us to a place close to the Marriott Courtyard. Our alternative is to rent a car for the 24 hours or so that we'll be down there before embarking, and then, I'm sure we'll be able to find a wine merchant.

BTW, I love these boards. There is more (and better) information to be found than on any other cruise website! And everybody is so helpful - some are just a bit more opinionated than others.

There is a very nice liquor/wine shop right near the pier on 17th. Its right across from the Embassy Suites.

Some things to keep in mind. The port authority is in charge of clearing bags on board. Not just packed but also carry-on. They don't care about booze as long as it sealed.

Some cruiselines have a second check but during embarkation its pretty rare (why pay the price for something thats already been done).

The crackdown is in duty free ports. Expect that stuff to impounded until the end of the cruise.

Sandy & Don,

It's great that you're going on this cruise. We are so looking forward to seeing you again. This is great because the past two years we went on the Z and did Western Carribean and this year we're going to different islands. We just can't wait. Are you going to rent a cabana? Let us know.

See you soon! Cathy & Bob

There is a very nice liquor/wine shop right near the pier on 17th. Its right across from the Embassy Suites.

Some things to keep in mind. The port authority is in charge of clearing bags on board. Not just packed but also carry-on. They don't care about booze as long as it sealed.

Some cruiselines have a second check but during embarkation its pretty rare (why pay the price for something thats already been done).

The crackdown is in duty free ports. Expect that stuff to impounded until the end of the cruise.

Thank you! I knew somebody would come through with exactly the right information!

Canderson, I noticed you are leaving on the Constellation in three days. Just wanted to say... Have a GREAT TIME! and tell us about the wine you drank when you get back. ;)

Kate

Now there's an idea. Start a thread for reviews of the wines served by Celebrity and those we take with us. Hmmm...

We're leaving tomorrow, and a couple of special items will be going with us yet again. I've linked up 19 of us from our CC thread for this cruise for dinner seating, so there will undoubtedly be a lot of sharing going on. Will be interested to get their impressions of what we bring, but no bottle will serve 19. Sounds like a logistics problem for both X (their biggest table is an 8) and me as well!

Archived