what the latest i cancelled my cruise with insurance?

patry

hi we are leaving in 17 days on oasis cruise. we took the insurance for cancellation purposes. my travel agent says that if we cancelled for example with medical excuse they will only returned the 75% and only for use in one year for another cruise...is that true???? the thing is that my husband may require a surgery and we aren´t sure!!!! what´s the latest we can cancelled?

thanks

hi we are leaving in 17 days on oasis cruise. we took the insurance for cancellation purposes. my travel agent says that if we cancelled for example with medical excuse they will only returned the 75% and only for use in one year for another cruise...is that true???? the thing is that my husband may require a surgery and we aren´t sure!!!! what´s the latest we can cancelled?

thanks

It all depends on the company and the individual policy you are holding....you have to read the details of it.

I would post this under 'Cruise Discussion Topics' in the 'Cruise/Travel Insurance' forum.

The 75% cruise credits is for 'cancel for any reason'. Not sure how they would refund you if it is for a valid medical reason that is not a pre-existing condition.

Cruisecare:

With the CruiseCare Cancellation Penalty Waiver, if your plans go awry and you cancel - or interrupt - your cruise vacation (for specified reasons), Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises will waive the non-refundable cancellation provision of your cruise ticket contract and pay you IN CASH the value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation.

In addition, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel for "any other reason", you may be eligible for CRUISE CREDITS - up to 75% of the non-refundable, prepaid cruise vacation cost.

Guests must cancel their cruise prior to departure and must request a refund through the program administrator to be eligible for cash reimbursement or future cruise credits, as applicable. Credits expire one year after the issue date, are nontransferable, and are not applicable to holiday or inaugural sailings. Credits have no cash value and, if applied to a reservation of lesser value, will not result a cash refund of any difference. Credits may not be used for deposits, only final payment, and can be used only on the cruise brand originally reserved. Only original copies of credit letters will be accepted; copies or altered letters may not be used.

I hope your husband can avoid surgery and you both have a wonderful cruise. It is good you bought the insurance, and I am sure RCL will help you make whatever decision you need to make to place a claim. Their customer service/resolutions department was wonderfully helpful to me when I had a similar problem. Good luck.

Archived