Best Time to book a cruise???

cruisegirl36

So I have been watching rates for about 6 months on the Magic for Sept 2012 (Belize, Roatan and Cozumel). Rates have went up and I have not been able to go ahead and book because of finances. I am wondering when is the best time to book a cruise. We are 11 months away and I would not have thought the rates would have already went up $100 per person for an inside cabin. I like rates around $500 not $700. hahahaha I am wondering if I should watch it some more or go ahead and get what the rate is now.

On a new ship not likely to see 500 for one week.

There is no best time to book only parts of year that are usually cheaper than others.

For example when kids are out of school prices are usually the highest.

As long as you know the dates we like ES.

It definitely depends on the time of year. The first couple cruises we took were last minute and not at peak times, so we booked those less than two months ahead of time and got great deals.

We wanted to do something special for our 10th anniversary in 2008 and booked our Southern Caribbean cruise about 5 months ahead of time... we lucked out with an OV for about $700pp for a 7-day during a holiday week.

Our last two cruises and our upcoming cruise were/are post New Years Eve (this year and last year we embark on New Years Day) so the prices are much better than if you were to actually be aboard the ship on New Years Eve. We love spending NYE in South Beach anyway, so we just fly in a couple days early and are able to enjoy a couple extra days on land plus the cruise for the price that just the cruise would have cost if we cruised a week earlier. We booked our upcoming 01/01/12 cruise in May of this year using ES... so 8 months ahead of time. Got an OV for $615 pp (including taxes and fees) for the 7-day.

So, if you know your dates, book early. If you can do spur of the moment, look for last minute deals!

Im already booked for Sept 2012. No rate drops for me, but I got a deal long time ago on this one.

Im now watching for a last minute $229 deal or less out of Galveston next January or Feb on Triumph for a short cruise .. since I have to pay 200%, wouldnt pay more than that.

OP I would say dont book it if you dont like the rates, or conquest the conquest out of NOLA, rates are stil at $399 pp on some dates. I dont book if I dont like the rates, Ill wait and hope for a pack n go or a hurricane price the time of year you are going.

I seem to find the best deals (for fall cruising) in Feb/March...

BUT....I love using ES and will book as early as I can for the best cabin choice and wait with fingers crossed for a price drop (which I have gotten several)....BUT, make sure you really want to go, as it is a non-refundable deposit required...I never pay my balance before the final date just in case of a price drop....

But, IMO, prices jump up and down according to different factors (availability, slow sales, special sales, etc)...

We booked at 18 months ahead- prices have only went higher as the months wear down.

If we are lucky I think IF the prices were to go down it will be after final payment.

With that being said-- only 2 of my cruises (out of 15) ever went down in price.

Carnival Magic is a new ship- I dont expect the prices to come down that much more then what you see it today

Archived