Bringing a bicycle

LML101

Has anyone brought a bicycle with them?

I'm combining a cruise with a bicycle tour, so I'll be bringing my bicycle with me. I was hoping that it could be stored somewhere till I'm ready to debark.

Now I'm thinking that it would be nice to have the bike when I'm in port. So I'm wondering how easy it would be to take it on and off when I'm in the ports.

I'm guessing that it will depend on the crew and how flexible they will be. Hoping that they would store it down in the luggage area, and someone might be able to access it for me when we are in port.

Has anyone brought a bike with them, and anyone try to take the bike on and off in port?

Will be on the Veendam, December 20, from Buenos Aires to Valpariso.

We have not brought a bike, but the crew did store our stroller in a "crew only" stairwell/storage area on our floor. It was right down the hall if we ever needed it.

I have also heard of people storing large/bulky items in the bathtub (except while in use, of course:)

I know some ships provide some bikes for crew. We've seen them riding them ashore and wheeling them up the gangway. I would think they would permit guests to bring their bike but I would definitely seek written permission in advance of trying to board with it.

It will have to be inspected at security check and probably would not fit through the scanner.

Personally, if I were planning on bringing a bike on board, this is the one I would choose:

strida3.jpg

...because it folds to nearly nothing:

media.nl?id=123735&c=528529&h=a21ff21d31934be45af5http://www.strida.us/

That also looks really cool. However, I'm going to be biking 1,000+ miles, and will be hauling camping gear, clothes, stove, personal gear like camera, maps, and food and water as necessary. This bike doesn't look like it would work for that.

We do a lot of biking and asked several crew members on the Westerdam if it was possible to bring our bikes on a cruise. They all said yes and all said that the bikes had to be stored in your cabin. I would get approval in writing from the cruise line before you go, just to be safe!! Would love to read a review if you do cruise with your bike. :)

We took our folding Bike Fridays on the Maasdam (Montreal to Ft Lauderdale). We had asked about a place to store them and were told "no", but we were upgraded (not sure that it was intentional) to a little larger cabin. They do not fold as well as those pictured on this thread, but board as luggage on day one. We had no problems taking them off the ship in ports - the crew thought they were neat. The only issue was on a tender, but they did let us go since it was fairly calm (we didn't even try in Bar Harbor because of weather) - I figured if they could take wheelchairs, they could take the bikes - anyway, the tender crew weren't too sure about it, but ended up taking them fine.

I have asked again for an upcoming cruise on Volendam (after 5 weeks camping and cycling in New Zealand). We were told there is a place for golf clubs where we could store the bikes - we'll see. It would be crowded in a regular cabin once they are re-assembled.

We enjoyed several days of cycling (Quebec City) and part of the Confederation Trail on PEI, Gaspe, Sagueney.

That also looks really cool. However, I'm going to be biking 1,000+ miles, and will be hauling camping gear, clothes, stove, personal gear like camera, maps, and food and water as necessary. This bike doesn't look like it would work for that.

Ahhh - You're right....

....but these are really great for scooting around town (as long as its flat)

;)

Archived