Sorry! Another FCO to port question....

louise44

We're trying to decide how to get to FCO to civitavecchia(on a Sunday). We're going to be tired from a long flight, but the quoted 125 euros for a private car seems pretty steep. As an alternative, we thought we might take a cab to one of the train stations (perhaps Trastervere) for about 40 euros I think, then take the train from there to the port. It means that we won't have to change trains, so a little less aggravation, but the overall cost would be a bit more reasonable. I'd really aprpreciate any comments!!

Would it be better to use Trastevere or take a cab to Termini if we decide to do it this way?

Many thanks.:)

Well, if you are willing to go through all the hassle to save some money I guess Trastevere is a bit closer then going all the way into Termini. However, it is a lot of hassle to save about $100. We are not even sure you can get a taxi during the morning rush hour to take you to Trastevere for 40 Euros (maybe yes, maybe no). But consider that once you get to Trastevere you have to haul your luggage to the train (much shorter walk then in Termini). Once you get to Civitavecchia you will be about 4 blocks from the port entrance and it is very unlikely that any taxi (if there are any taxis) would take you from the station to the port (if they do this it will cost you at least 20 Euros for those few blocks). This means that you will need to walk about 4 blocks (hauling your luggage) to the port entrance where you can catch the free internal port bus to your ship. Putting all this together and considering that you would likely be going from FCO to Trastevere during the mornign rush hour....you will probably spend at least 2 hours getting from FCO to your ship as opposed to a transfer from FCO to your ship that would take about an hour.

Hank

I am guessing by your post you are flying in the same day as your cruise. You will be stressed enough. Pay the money for the car service. I am very frugal, but even I don't deal with trains/buses/metros after an overnight flight to Europe. Hlitner is absolutely right. Save money someplace else, but pay for the car.

I am guessing by your post you are flying in the same day as your cruise. You will be stressed enough. Pay the money for the car service. I am very frugal, but even I don't deal with trains/buses/metros after an overnight flight to Europe. Hlitner is absolutely right. Save money someplace else, but pay for the car.

I agree. If you can't fly in a day or two in advance and enjoy Rome, the get a private car, and let them take care of the rest. Doing the taxi/train thing will just lengthen you travels, causing stress when you are jet lagged.

This is good advice.

It's never a good idea to fly in the day of your cruise but if you do, go with the car service.

Keith

Have you posted on your roll call? You could potentially find someone to share the transfer with you. The increase for four people is negligible and would mean a big savings.

Whether you can find someone to share or not, I would definitely heed everyone's advice and use the car service;) It's worth every penny IMO:)

Archived