snorkel question re: wall off shore

user43147

I was just wondering if it would even be worth my while to snorkle near the wall (drop off) to see it while snorkeling or if it would be a waste of time because you may have to actually dive with "scuba gear" to see the wall and all it offers. I am really looking to see the actual wall. Any one able to offer any past experience advise?? Thank you.

Bettye

We didn't snorkel from the beach near the cruise ship, we did a catamaran snorkel & sail away excursion through carnival, but the catamaran took us to a spot that was along the shelf, it was about 20 feet I'm guessing, I could dive down and felt like I almost could reach the bottom, but my ears started to hurt too much to really push it.

Because of the shelf, the cruise ship docks right next to the beach, you can't believe how close you are swimming to the ship! I think you could definitely snorkel along and see the shelf, my only unknown would be where the shelf is in relation to the roped off swimming area, but the cruise ship isn't exactly going to pull up right next to the shelf anyway, so I think you could get pretty close.

Snorkeled there once with Blue Water Divers. I thought it was amazing. Suddenly, the ocean floor beneath you goes from 30-40' to 6000+. FREAKY! You obviously can't see the bottom of the DEEP part, but you can see the top part of the wall, and thinking about how the floor is over a mile below you is pretty amazing, IMHO. We saw lots of fish & a few turtles.

We'll be there again Thanksgiving week. I would LOVE to go again, but DH kind of thought it was "been there/done that" and no need to do it again. I plan to snorkel from the beach around Jack's Shack, near the cruise ship.

Attaching a pic my niece took from the deck of the cruise ship. You can clearly see where the ocean changes color -- THAT'S where The Wall is.

1197922494_GrandTurk_thewall.jpg.2b5aaff723503e215826052b3a38ba38.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

To answer your specific question you will not be able to see much of the actual wall while snorkeling. Unless you are very good at holding your breath, you'll just be able to peer over it. An amazing experience.

• 3 weeks later...

We just came back from Grand Turk and snorkeling with Blue Water Divers and I can't say enough good things about that trip and the experience.

First you go to a shallow area - great views of the coral and smaller fish, then on to the wall and it was spectacular!! It is absolutely worth it!!

The staff at Blue Water was great!! Super organized in the office getting ready to go out and the staff on the boat were fantastic. They really made you feel at ease, knew what they were doing, and made it a fun time!

I have used a lot of local excursions in different places in the past and Blue Water Divers is at the top of my list!

Archived