Delft or Amsterdam??

bazzaw

We are visiting Rotterdam on QM2 in June 2012. We could do either ships tours or travel by train ourselves to either Delft or Amsterdam.

As Australians, this is likely to be our one and only ever visit to Holland - so which should we visit Delft or Amsterdam. I feel that perhaps it "should" be Amsterdam, but we are not keen on large noisy cities. Also would Delft be large enough for a full day visit?

Any thoughts please??

Barry

Time wise I think a visit to Delft is better then going all the way to Amsterdam. Only when you cruiseline offers transportation to Amsterdam you can consider going there. Much depend how much time you have that day.

Delft is a small nice old charming town, easy to reach by frequent trains.

Walk around/along the canals. Visit the church in the centre where the dutch royals are buried. Also a visit to Porceleyne Fles where the best Delft Blue is still made. Make a canlboatride.

Another member of cruisecritics has a nice walk on his website:

http://www.********.com/delft%20pictures/Delft%20Walking%20Tour%20pdf.pdf

You will find even more on these websites: http://www.delft.nl/delften/

http://www.delft.nl/delften/Tourists/Discover_Delft

http://www.royaldelft.nl/index.asp?lang=2

Delft and Amsterdam are like comparing a small elegant sports car (Delft) to a huge mega-bus. Both places are easy to access by train (Deltf is a lot closer to Rotterdam) and your decison should be based on whether your prefer a small, walkable very attractive town or a large city. Personally, we like both places and think you cannot make a bad decision. I should add that although Amsterdam is a very large city, it is relatively easy to manage on your own by walking and using their excellent public transit system. We do disagree with the prior post regarding the time factor since Amsterdam is only an hour from Rotterdam via train (Delft is about 10 - 15 min).

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

Go to Delft as said before. It is very nice. Amsterdam is "just" another major city.

I think you will have a much better sence of the Dutch atmosphere and relaxation in Deplf than in Amsterdam. Also in Amsterdam you will have to choose between so many things to see in such short a time.

Hmmm - Amsterdam does seem to have one thing going for it though - it appears to me to be easier to get to???

Barry

No, frequent trains between Rotterdam and Delft and just a short ride.

check http://www.ns.nl/

Many trains to Amsterdam make a stop in Delft.

We are visiting Rotterdam on QM2 in June 2012. We could do either ships tours or travel by train ourselves to either Delft or Amsterdam.

As Australians, this is likely to be our one and only ever visit to Holland - so which should we visit Delft or Amsterdam. I feel that perhaps it "should" be Amsterdam, but we are not keen on large noisy cities. Also would Delft be large enough for a full day visit?

Any thoughts please??

Barry

Hi Barry,

The words I have highlighted could well be the deciding factor. Delft is only a fifteen minute train journey from Rotterdam. Its central square (Grote Markt) is a ten minute walk from the railway station. The Markt is very touristy with a plethora of shops selling Delft ware and clogs. But within a minute of leaving the square you can be strolling along the peaceful banks of a canal with typical Dutch houses on either side.

You ask if Delft would be large enough for a full day visit. Well, when there you will see many images of Vermeer's - the city's most famous son - paintings. But while there is a Vermeer Centre in the Markt there are none of his original works on display in Delft. If you are interested in such things, you could spend the morning in Delft and then in the afternoon take the short, less than fifteen minutes, train or tram trip to Den Haag and see the great Vermeers and Rembrandts in the Mauritshuis museum. The Mauritshuis is compact and 'doable' in an afternoon. It is situated in the attractive grounds of the Binnenhof, the seat of the Dutch parliament. But I could very well be transposing my tastes on to you.

Enjoy your visit to the Netherlands whatever you decide to do.

Dermot

Archived