Balcony dividers on Mariner of the Seas

I've been on 5 cruises with RCL and decided this time to go from an outside stateroom to a balcony on Mariner. We have an adjacent room with our friends on deck 7 -- not connecting. I've seen conflicting reports as to whether the divider will be open on request. If not, what kind of material is the divider made of? Will we be able to see our friends at least if we're not allowed to open the divider?

Balcony dividers on the Mariner are glass, and can open. Whether or not your cabin attendant will open them for you, you will not know. I think it is up to the captain. On the Navigator this April, they would not, on Allure, they did.

If they don't open the divider, you really can't "see" each other...and that's nice! You can stand at the railing and chat....that's the best way to talk to your neighbor. See, the thing with opening the divider (if they will), is that once it's open, it's open for the entire time...no privacy on your balcony at all.

I'd rather just invite folks to visit thru the cabin when I want company. I would hate to have the balcony a shared space, so that the balcony drapes would have to be closed anytime I'm undressed in my cabin....as my neighbor could see in! Privacy is a NICE thing!

Capt. Pers does not allow the balcony dividers to be opened. Apparently a few years ago someone got hurt. That ruined it for everyone else. We were on the Mariner and discussed it with the room steward. Don't know about the other Capt.

I'm sailing on the Mariner in two weeks. I have booked a GS and my parents are in the GS right next to us. I'm not sure if it's still Captain Pers for my cruise but I plan on asking anyway just to see. My parents and I sailed Liberty in 2009 and they allowed us to open the dividers then.

I'd imagine having the divider open on a GS would make the balcony look huge!

• 2 weeks later...
Capt. Pers does not allow the balcony dividers to be opened. Apparently a few years ago someone got hurt. That ruined it for everyone else. We were on the Mariner and discussed it with the room steward. Don't know about the other Capt.

I just returned from the 9-day cruise and the divider was opened between the two cabins to the right of our cabin and was used by smokers. We could hardly use our balconey - not only was the smoking bad but the guests were very loud when talking - we could hear them when our balcony door was closed - napping was impossible.

Archived