As You Wish Dining question

scdreamer

We have chosen the open seating option for dining, with a medium sized table, I believe it's a table for six or eight, can't remember for sure.

My question is - when we show up for dinner, does the maitre d' (or whatever the person who will seat us is) wait until there are enough passengers to fill the table? I can't imagine they would seat a few people at a table and then more half way through the first peoples' meal. How does it work?

I have seen it happen both ways.

We sit at a table by the railing in fixed dining.

Sometimes all 6 or 8 people are seated at once -- usually these people already know each other -- traveling in a group.

But many times we have seen 2 people seated -- then about 5 - 10 minutes 2 more are seated. Finally 2 or 4 more are seated. Some waiters will wait until the entire table is filled before taking orders -- have seen people sit for 1/2 hour or ore before orders were taken. And I have also seen where waiters will take the order of the first 2 people -- serve them -- take the orders of the next 2 people -- and so forth. And most of the meal everyone was eating at different times.

Can't tell you what will happen on your cruise.

Sometimes all 6 or 8 people are seated at once -- usually these people already know each other -- traveling in a group.

But many times we have seen 2 people seated -- then about 5 - 10 minutes 2 more are seated. Finally 2 or 4 more are seated. Some waiters will wait until the entire table is filled before taking orders -- have seen people sit for 1/2 hour or ore before orders were taken. And I have also seen where waiters will take the order of the first 2 people -- serve them -- take the orders of the next 2 people -- and so forth. And most of the meal everyone was eating at different times.

Not liking the idea of sharing a table and eating in shifts ... sounds like a fast food restaurant:confused:

We have chosen the open seating option for dining, with a medium sized table, I believe it's a table for six or eight, can't remember for sure.

My question is - when we show up for dinner, does the maitre d' (or whatever the person who will seat us is) wait until there are enough passengers to fill the table? I can't imagine they would seat a few people at a table and then more half way through the first peoples' meal. How does it work?

They try to fill the table as quickly as possible but this does not always happen. Our experience is at tables for six. If no one shows up after we have been seated for 10 minutes we ask the waiter to take our order. Usually the table will be filled in another 10-15 minutes. I have seen two people at tables for 8 or 10 eating by themselves for most of the meal.

When you have open seating you don't actually request a table size with your booking. You either go to dinner when you wish, and tell the man at the podium whether or not you will share a table, or want to dine alone.

If you are willing to share, then you are seated. You will either be the first ones at a table, or join others recently seated. They fill a table, then move on to the next. They probably work on several table sizes at the same time.

Unless you are going very late, then there will be a steady stream of people coming in. There won't be a long wait.

Now, if you make reservations, the table size will be noted, and the table completed, before you arrive. There's no predicting if your tablemates will be on time.

The 2 HAL cruises and our next one this month with open seating, we have been with 2 other couples so we ask or reserve a table for 6. I do not remember it taking very long to fill tables during the busier times so I can't imagine having to wait for more than a few minutes to get table mates and a full table. I have had to wait many times on fixed dinning for all table mates to show up so it shouldn't be much different for you either.

The two of us are normally seated at a table for four. Two others will eventually fill the other seats.

Should you want other seating arrangements, let the Maitre"D know. You may have a wait for a different table arrangement.

Excellent reasons for NOT choosing "Open Dining"! :mad:

We had open seating and we never ate in shifts. Most every night there were if enough people to fill a table immediately. We always ordered at the same time. We met all kinds of different people. It was not bad at all, especially if you are traveling without friends. :confused:

We had open seating and we never ate in shifts. Most every night there were if enough people to fill a table immediately. We always ordered at the same time. We met all kinds of different people. It was not bad at all, especially if you are traveling without friends. :confused:

This has also been my observation as well.

I would agree, I always travel solo and use the open dining, and they usually fill the table first before anyone orders, but I have never had to wait more than a few minutes. They will give you the menus when you are seated so it gives you a little more time to look at the menu. Its nice to meet different people each night, but you don't get to know them as well as you do with the fixed dining, but you end up knowing more people on the ship.

We have done open seating on quite a few cruises now.

In our experience, we arrive at the entrance to the dining room and say we would like to sit with others. We have usually been taken to a table without any waiting. We are either first at the table or the others are still looking at the menu.

We have never been seated at a table after orders have been taken.

We love open seating. We sit with different people every night and have met some wonderful people.

Archived