Appropriate Bare Minimum for Diner

jtwanabe

I can't bring myself to bring a bunch of dress up clothes. It really will mean going to the next larger suit case which probably means checking it in. I would like to meet folks and all but not if I have to lug all this other stuff.

I don't want to be rude or ruin peoples evenings by showing up inappropriately dressed. I will have black "denim" pants and a regular button down business casual shirt. Probably the show stopper is that I will only have running shoes.....if you don't count the snorkeling flippers. lol

Any suggestions,

from carnival faq:

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

My husband wears black jeans and a button down shirt to the "elegant night" dinners. He wears black shoes that have the feel of sneakers but look like dressier shoes.

They sell them in many places.

The trick to packing light is to wear the heaviest things(like the shoes) onto the plane.

He only has 1 carryon suitcase + a small backpack so it CAN be done.

You will perhaps not ruin anyone's dinner but are apt to start a war here!:eek:

This is always a hot issue on CC. But "elegant" means less and less these days on Carnival. Surely you could throw in one pair of non-denim slacks.I wouldn't worry about the shoes- t Go in at the beginning of dinner and the crowds will be so great that nobody can see even if you have feet.

Tell them you have to wear sneakers because your foot is in pain if anyone asks!!!

My sister broke her shoulder the day we boarded conquest, and we almost did not get a dress over her head.

As long as you dont wear shorts or sleeveless tees to elegant night, I think they will let you wear anything. .. well almost. The stories are still going around of a lady who wore nothing but chain mail to dinner one elegant night. I think they asked her to leave because it was too see thru.

The stories are still going around of a lady who wore nothing but chain mail to dinner one elegant night. I think they asked her to leave because it was too see thru.

I think they asked her to leave because she looked horrible in it~!:eek: lol~pictures are still floating around~~where's that hot poker???

I think they asked her to leave because she looked horrible in it~!:eek: lol~pictures are still floating around~~where's that hot poker???

the subject line of "bare mimimum" to wear in the MDR I have to admit brought to mind other visions about baring body parts.

We had a couple of older teens on Elation who looked like hookers. I dont think their dresses could have been any lower or tighter and they paraded up and down the stair cases which were near our table and around the MDR that they made sure everyone got a eyefull of "overflowing" curves. lol

I can't bring myself to bring a bunch of dress up clothes. It really will mean going to the next larger suit case which probably means checking it in. I would like to meet folks and all but not if I have to lug all this other stuff.

I don't want to be rude or ruin peoples evenings by showing up inappropriately dressed. I will have black "denim" pants and a regular button down business casual shirt. Probably the show stopper is that I will only have running shoes.....if you don't count the snorkeling flippers. lol

Any suggestions,

always depends if you want to be the best dressed, or worst dressed in a room, or just blend in.

that's entirely up to you.

Any suggestions,

The shoes are not a show stopper. Don't sweat it.

DH brings dockers, short sleeve button downs, polos and one pair of dark brown or black leather Keen walking shoes. If he is feeling daring when he packs he will bring shorts and flip flops.

Hasn't been kicked out of the MDR yet, even on CE night wearing a button down. If you shirt has long sleeves you are more dressed up than my DH.:p

I have had no issue's with dress shorts and polo shirts on normal cruise nights in the dining room. I seen worse in there just this last week. The wife will wear pants and nice top. During elegant night she wear's the same, I have a pair of pants and shirt and tie.

always depends if you want to be the best dressed, or worst dressed in a room, or just blend in.

And then there are some people that don't care if they are any of those . And just want to be themselves and have a good time.

One of my friends wives will never make the cover of Vogue, Hell she will never make the cover of Field and Stream.

She is as casual as all get out, but even so her clothes and her appearence are always neat.

When she walks in a room , she lights it up. Great sense of humor, heart of gold . when she talks to you or asks about how you and a your family are , she truly listens and does care. Plus she is usally carrying one of her culinary creations which blows everyone away. :)

Everyone loves her. :)

I will take her over the block of ice draped in Dolce and Gabbana my other buddy is married to any day.

And then there are some people that don't care if they are any of those . And just want to be themselves and have a good time.

absolutely.

they will also never realize joan and melissa are out there critiquing them, at their expense.

absolutely.

they will also never realize joan and melissa are out there critiquing them, at their expense.

Anyone who really cares what that overbotoxed Yenta and her flying monkey of a daughter think have a lot more problems than meeting a dress code.

Still causes chuckles when people edit out the "dress shorts" portion of what's permitted at dinner for casual nights. It's there, and they are.

Jeans are permitted as well, just dress a little nicer for cruise elegant night.

Enjoy the trip.

This is probably the bottom line related to how it might make you feel. I'm a people pleaser, so I try not to stand out in what might be considered a "negative" way. You're not going to ruin my trip if you don't follow the dress code, but I might do a double take because it would be natural if most are wearing a ball gown, which is what I do on formal nights... because it's the only time I wear them. Figure I paid for the dresses, I might as well make them useful when I can.

I was finishing up on some final touches at just after midnight. I did a last minute check on

cruise critic only to see my countdown clock say "SAILED". Noooooooooooooo! then I realized they don count the day of the sail. The really ought to change that.

Thanks for the all the advise on how to dress or not dress for diner. My conclusion is that for any night but the formal night a business causal button down shirt and black pants of some sort will suffice. I can't do anything about the running shoes though. My suitcase is busting out at the seams. (maybe I should take the portable tv out?)

Are there micro waves in the rooms? See you all soon. Never did hear about a meet and great for cc folks.

Archived