Galveston hotels - why two nights required?

cruzecontrol

Hotel pricing on the room rates and 2 night minimums

in Galveston are relative to seasonal and special events

affecting supply and demand.

It is just like cruise line pricing, supply and demand dictates their pricing.

It can be very circumstantial!!

1. Galveston is destination resort town year around.

with high and low seasons.

2. Galveston has two first class convention centers.

3. Multiple cruise ships may be in one day

4. Special events (Mardi Gras, Spring Break, Dickens, Motorcycle Rally,

large running events and etc.) will affect it.

5. Hotel vendors may be testing room pricing and minimums

6. Hotel vendors may be having promotional discount pricing.

7. Overflow space needs from large Houston special events.

8. Mother natures weather conditions can affect last minute pricing.

9. Dates may be too far out, therefore high rates and 2 night minimums.

It’s always supply and demand

and negotiation!

We wanted to stay in Galveston as well but with the 2 night minimum we are going to stay in Houston. I would think that they are definitely losing some of the cruise passenger business with this policy. They lost ours.....

Pricing and minimums are only as good or bad as the day of inquiry and change daily continually based on circumstances. This minimum is NOT a city wide policy but is a hotel by hotel decision based on their specific situation. Like in any city or cruise one has to do home work, continue inquiries, and negotiate. If a hotel is not filling up, it will drop price and a minimum if they had one,

to get occupancy and even negotiate with you on better basis.

A cruise we are on in October just went down this week 2000 for the two of us. It was simply a supply and demand situation, NOT a policy. Rccl recognized the situation and lowered the price !!!!

Supply and demand!!!!!!

Same as in New Orleans

Quote from another thread

(I am not looking for booking answer, NO and Gal have same issue)

" "We are cruising out of NOLA March 10th, which I understand is the SEC playoff weekend. Everything is either booked or almost $500 (or hotels I'm not sure about......poor reviews, etc).

Has anyone had experience with hotel bookings during a big weekend like this? Do you think any rooms will open up (i.e.----people book 2 or 3 hotels until they decide which one they want, etc)----or do you think I'm stuck with New Orleans Convention Center (which is what I have booked right now)?""

ONE could be trying to cruise out of NO that weekend!

I have already talked to the hotel directly and believe it or not, they didn't even know about the two night minimum for that weekend. :(

This is further complicated because I want to use Holiday Inn Rewards points and I can only do that on the Holiday Inn website.

I'm still interested in knowing if anything big is going on in Galveston on that weekend.

There are several cruiselines going out of Galveston. I think you will find this on any big "Cruise out" weekend. They also jack up the prices. Personally, it's so expensive, we have chosen to stay in Houston at a Hotel that has a shuttle to and from cruise port. I would like to stay in Galveston, and enjoy the island, but they've just made it too expensive.

Transportation to and from airport is outrageous! Then add 200/night rates. It's very expensive.

Have a great time any where you stay.

The weekend you are departing is Mardi Gras weekend and hotels do raise their prices as any city does during any large event that draws tens of thousands of visitors as well as requiring a 2 night minimum.

Mardi Gras is Feb. 10th to the 21st.

They don't "jack up" prices on weekends because of cruise ships. The majority of cruisers drive to the port and don't require accommodations.

N.O. requires a 3 night mininum during Mardi Gras and their hotels are much more expensive than Galveston.

As SSB stated "it is supply and demand," which is consistent everywhere in the world.

Transportation is also costly, but due to the cost of fuel and overhead, it is not cheap to drive anywhere.

Our cost to go the port from Rome is 130 eu - $170 approx. Similar distance from IAH to Galveston.

Before someone comes in and says take the train - we are in our 60''s and don't want to schlep luggage and deal with the hassle of changing trains. When we travel we expect certain costs and, if it is too much, we don't go.

Hotel pricing on the room rates and 2 night minimums

in Galveston are relative to seasonal and special events

affecting supply and demand.

It is just like cruise line pricing, supply and demand dictates their pricing.

It can be very circumstantial!!

1. Galveston is destination resort town year around.

with high and low seasons.

2. Galveston has two first class convention centers.

3. Multiple cruise ships may be in one day

4. Special events (Mardi Gras, Spring Break, Dickens, Motorcycle Rally,

large running events and etc.) will affect it.

5. Hotel vendors may be testing room pricing and minimums

6. Hotel vendors may be having promotional discount pricing.

7. Overflow space needs from large Houston special events.

8. Mother natures weather conditions can affect last minute pricing.

9. Dates may be too far out, therefore high rates and 2 night minimums.

It’s always supply and demand

and negotiation!

I don't think your #7 has anything to do with it. Galveston is way to far away from downtown Houston for any kind of overflow needs. If anything the opposite is true, the further up I45 you go towards Houston would be overflow for the island.

I don't think your #7 has anything to do with it. Galveston is way to far away from downtown Houston for any kind of overflow needs. If anything the opposite is true, the further up I45 you go towards Houston would be overflow for the island.

There are large events in Houston that do take hotel space in Galveston and have for years.

Archived