Cruise Critic Community
NBCNewsGuy

American Express Platinum/Black Card

Used this program twice. My travel agent handled it all and got the benefits of the Amex program. You do not have to book through Amex.

Was your agent an Amex office?

Was your agent an Amex office?

No. I haven't used an Amex Travel. My agent is a Virtuoso agent, but any agent should be able to handle this. Call or email your travel agent and ask them if they can arrange to use your Amex Cruise Privileges benefits on your next cruise. I remember when I asked mine. She said absolutely, called Amex, and had our benefits applied that day.

Edited by MJonTravel

Have had the platinum card for years. I've been waiting for them to have RC as a partner. Finally!!!! Booked a cruise on Jewel in a Suite. 300.00 SBC, dinner for 2 and a bottle of wine or champagne.

Not true. I have an AMEX Costco Platinum Card and it doesn't have an annual fee. Plus you get a rebate at the end of the year that you can use towards any purchase at Costco. I've had this card for over 5 years.

That is not the same card being discussed. You are speaking of a COSTCO credit card.

Lynda is absolutely right about the fraud alerts.

I have had AMEX cards in both green & gold since the 1970s.

I have never had any questions or refusals when using it anywhere in the world.

Really? I've been an Amex member since 1973 and have been refused its use many times, most especially in France. I just returned from Egypt and I was hard pressed to use the card. I love my Amex cards for travel because of all the perks they offer but oftentimes, have to whip out a Master Card or Visa in restaurants around the world.

Per my agent, and an e-mail from RCI, this benefit is NOT combinable with the Book on Board OBC program. Maybe enforcement is hit and miss, but that is what we found.

FYI-Agent took it pretty high up the ranks at RCI, as he is a high volume agent.

My husband is my TA and he is in no way affiliated with American Express, but he gets the code and gets this applied to our sailings that we use our Platinum Amex to pay. He just calls Amex and gets the tracking number or something like that. Have your TA call their agent desk and they can explain it. It can not be combined, but this time we were booking an outside cabin as there are no balconies available, so I figured Imight as well use it.

Teresa

Have had the platinum card for years. I've been waiting for them to have RC as a partner. Finally!!!! Booked a cruise on Jewel in a Suite. 300.00 SBC, dinner for 2 and a bottle of wine or champagne.

I just spoke with Amex yesterday and they told me the benefit was a 2 category upgrade or the price of a cabin two categories lower. No mention of a $300 SBC. Plus, I couldn't take advantage of the offer anyway because I booked a balcony and used the Diamond balcony discount. Does that sound right? Could the $300 be for a suite?

Edit: I re-read prior posts and it does seem like the $300 OBC is for suites.

Edited by debmarie