Coming on Eurodam in Ft. Laud.

Flvirgo41

Just curious. In Ft. Lauderdale, which side of the ship (port or starboard) do you embark/disembark from and what deck do you enter on? Looking around online, it appears to be starboard on Deck 3 Promenade around exterior glass elevators, correct? Thanks.

Depends which side the ship is tied up to, although it seems to usually be the port side. It can be either.

The deck can also vary, but I believe it is deck 1, 2 or 3.You can actually board right into the Atrium, or on to the outside promenade. Technically you can also board onto lower levels as well, but you don't usually see that at FLL.

IIRC every time we have embarked or disembarked a Vista/Sig ship at pier 26 it has been on the Lower Promenade next to the glass elevators. Sometimes port, sometimes starboard. I think when we boarded once at pier 29 it was onto the promenade.

The last couple of weeks on the web cam at FLL the Eurodam seems to dock with the bow facing south which puts the Starboard side facing the mainland. When she leaves she backs out to the main channel and then turns to exit the harbor. I believe that is the case today as she is in FLL.

The crew goes in on the A Deck. Pax go in on the Main Deck or LP and sometimes on the Promenade Deck itself. I think Tide figures into this whole thing. Now port or starbord depends on whether the ship pulls in or backs in and the Harbor Master makes that call.

More often than not, HAL ships are docked starboard to the dock in Port Everglades. Yes, of course, it varies but of the dozens of times we have cruised out of Port Everglades, always in a port side cabin, we are almost never to the dock.

Deciding factors might be loading stores, ship maintenance, bunkering, pilots instructions, harbormaster, other ships in port and probably a ton I haven't thought of. (winds, currents, and who knows whatever else. :D )

The last two MS Zuiderdam ports of call in Port Everglades She has pulled in one week and backed in another. Same was true last year in Tampa. The MS Ryndam did it differently every other week.

Practice? Tides? Harbor Master? I don't know why? Maybe Copper could fill us in.

The last two MS Zuiderdam ports of call in Port Everglades She has pulled in one week and backed in another. Same was true last year in Tampa. The MS Ryndam did it differently every other week.

Practice? Tides? Harbor Master? I don't know why? Maybe Copper could fill us in.

It might also have to do with on going care and maintenace issues like which side is getting the chipping, scrapping and pressure washing....

Thanks everyone.

So, the key learning is...I'm going on a cruise! Who cares how it's parked. :D

Seriously, I just try and get my bearings before getting on the ship. Sounds like there are so many variables, there's no way to predict. Also, I'm a sucker for a sense of arrival. Some ohs and ahs coming onboard. Was on the Oasis last year and it did create quite an impression coming into the Royal Promenade. Looking forward though to a totally different experience on the "E."

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested out there, I'll answer my own question since I just came off the Eurodam today.

Embarkation:

Entered port side on Deck 3/Promenade. Actually walked on the Promenade for a bit and then entered at midship elevator lobby.

Disembarkation:

Exited starboard side on Deck 2/Lower Promenade. Walked right on the gangway at midship elevator lobby on that deck.

It appears from the postings here that there are several possible embarkation/disembarkation scenarios depending on multiple variables, so there's no consistent docking pattern.

For anyone interested out there, I'll answer my own question since I just came off the Eurodam today.

Embarkation:

Entered port side on Deck 3/Promenade. Actually walked on the Promenade for a bit and then entered at midship elevator lobby.

Disembarkation:

Exited starboard side on Deck 2/Lower Promenade. Walked right on the gangway at midship elevator lobby on that deck.

It appears from the postings here that there are several possible embarkation/disembarkation scenarios depending on multiple variables, so there's no consistent docking pattern.

Variety is the spice of life!!!!

February 2010: Westerdam port side, Zuiderdam starboard side

BG-51.jpg

This is my least favorite picture.... I spend 114 nights in Miami last year on business, traveling from Chicago to Miami, usually on a Sunday.

I hated to look down at those lucky cruisers getting ready to leave on their cruises when we flew down the coast towards Miami.... Happy for them, but sad for me.

Archived