Have you seen how much NCL has Cutback?

cruiser4801

I'm not sure that this is all about the economy...party, yes, but I think it's supply/demand too.

Before, the lines had only a few ships....now they're building new ones...BIGGER ones. The supply of cabins exceeds the demad. In order to fill all those cabins, they have to keep prices low. In order to keep prices low enough to fill cabins and make a profit, they have to cut back.

The more ships they build..and the bigger they are, I feel the more cuts we will experience.

This is undoubtedly a factor, also.

Just got back from 15 day Celebrity Century to Hawaii. The food, shrimp cocktail & escargot every nite, filet twice, prime rib 3 nights, duck, quail, lamb etc were GREAT! Noticed no cutback in quanity or quality. Every nite menu on left, very varied menu on right. Still hire EXCELLENT entertainment, free drinks boarding, captains party,& past cruisers. We cruise Spirit 11/27, will see if it has changed since Christmas 2010. I expect cutbacks in things, it is happening everywhere land, sea & air.

Because we've come to expect it as a part of the package. But just like anything else this too shall pass. One day the economy will recover and the cruise lines will have to come up with ways to attract new customers and a new generation of cruise line managers will say "hey, I have a great, new idea. Let's give everyone a glass of champagne at boarding!"

That could be, but I stil think each line has a personality and what works for one may not be huge for another.

Yes, you are right, when we get used to somethings it seems hard to give them up, but then, 5 years from now, who will remember the days of champange for instance?

Nita

We always thought that having a special meal in the dining room was part of the cruise experience.

The menu listing posted here seems to be the everyday offerings.

Lamb shank and New York strip everyday offerings? Geeze I love to cook, am considered a very good cook, we eat pretty much what we want and those are not everyday in our house. I think I will start eating at your place...

Nita

You're making sense. Obviously not everyone looks tio the experience as we do. The cost-cutting a down-sizing of packages is successfully hiding the rampant inflation in the marketplace.

I always figgered that the buffet was where people who didn't really care about what they ate was for. We enjoy a nice meal with good company and we're just hoping the ship can provide at least as nice a meal as either of us can cook. Both of us make a better meatloaf or mac and cheese.:)

The meals in the MDR are better than the buffet, you can eat with others and enjoy the experience, you still are being served by professionals and are having your food presented with decent silver and nice plates etc. No one is suggesting you eat Mac and Cheese in the dining room..and the example of meat loaf was just one selection. Some people enjoy meatloaf or short ribs or even pot roast. I use a lot of sauses for instance and garlic plus spices> My mother in law never particularly cared for my cooking becauase I did use ingredients she couldn't even pronouce. I wonder what she would say if I told her we were have coos coos for dinner tonight? To her Italian food was spagetti. She loved cruising and was happy with the simpliest foods offered.

Nita

NIta

Just got back from 15 day Celebrity Century to Hawaii. The food, shrimp cocktail & escargot every nite, filet twice, prime rib 3 nights, duck, quail, lamb etc were GREAT! Noticed no cutback in quanity or quality. Every nite menu on left, very varied menu on right. Still hire EXCELLENT entertainment, free drinks boarding, captains party,& past cruisers. We cruise Spirit 11/27, will see if it has changed since Christmas 2010. I expect cutbacks in things, it is happening everywhere land, sea & air.

Free drinks boarding< boy that isn't the same Celebrity I have been on more than once, Champagne yes, but not other drinks. As for the entertainment, I think this is opinion. We have never cared for the Celebrity entertainment that much, but everyone has his/her opinions and all of what we are saying is very subjective. As for 2010 compared to now: we actually enjoyed the food on the Spirit last Feb more than on other NCL ships in past years N

Nita

That could be, but I stil think each line has a personality and what works for one may not be huge for another.

Yes, you are right, when we get used to somethings it seems hard to give them up, but then, 5 years from now, who will remember the days of champange for instance?

Nita

That's why that manager will be able to sell it as a "new" idea, they will have forgotten, too;).

Nita

While I have never been offered champagne when I boarded a ship, it was provided at the art auctions I attended. I am no connoisseur of champagne, but if that stuff was typical of what is or was once offered, count me out. It was horrific stuff.

Your post makes perfect sense to me. If you are a person who eats to live, the MDR or buffet should meet your expectations. You cruise without having to pay more for your cruise to compensate for rising food and labor costs that the cruise line offset without raising cruise costs. If you live to eat, you realize in order to maintain the expectation of fine dining on NCL you need to take it a step up from the MDR or buffet and pay a surcharge.

But what if you are someone like me who was already a fan of the specialty dining on NCL? Are the extra charge items in the fee restaurants the way to go? And on the same note, has breakfast and lunch in Cagney's remained a "cut above"? I admit that food is important to me. And I am definately more interested in quality, not quantity. I know some would say I should explore the luxury lines more known for fine dining, but I am a NCL/freestyle/suite life fan.

Well I can't say I personally understand this thought process. I am the type of person that wants their belly full eating food that meets my tastebuds. I don't care how fancy it looks when it is served, or how many courses it has. I do not dine, I eat. And I only do that because it is required to stay alive, otherwise I think eating is a total waste of my time when I could be doing other fun things. :)

But I also understand that everyone enjoys things differently so I do not criticize you for this being one of your anticipated enjoyments.

Cost cutting affects everyone in so many different ways of what they used to enjoy, even on land. All companies are trying to find creative ways to cut costs. So they either have to do that or raise the initial cost. If you are willing for your initial cost to be raised to meet rising costs then you should also be willing to pay for an upcharge which would probably work out to be less than raising the initial cost. Yes there have been cuts in the specialties too, but then you would have your dining experience which should meet at least your old MDR experience that you so enjoyed.

I hope that paragraph made sense. I rephrased it a couple times and I'm still not sure whether it met my point :eek:. Guess it's too early in the morning for my brain to be completely working on all cells. ;)

The main cutbacks happened long ago when Freestyle was implemented after Star Cruises took over NCL. Service in the MDR was the main cut for those of us who like traditional dining. Many folks like the freedom to eat at a time they choose, but the personal attention suffers.

I have no problem with a set time dinner time with the waiters getting to know me and my tablemates to form a bond. It is what makes a cruise vacation special over a land based one. I have no problem packing and wearing decent clothes for a vacation. If NCL can achieve the balance that pleases both groups, they will have obtained the formula that will propel them beyond the number three cruise line.

The main cutbacks happened long ago when Freestyle was implemented after Star Cruises took over NCL. Service in the MDR was the main cut for those of us who like traditional dining. Many folks like the freedom to eat at a time they choose, but the personal attention suffers.

I have no problem with a set time dinner time with the waiters getting to know me and my tablemates to form a bond. It is what makes a cruise vacation special over a land based one. I have no problem packing and wearing decent clothes for a vacation. If NCL can achieve the balance that pleases both groups, they will have obtained the formula that will propel them beyond the number three cruise line.

I understand how you feel, and I know many longtime cruisers agree with you. fortunately for you, there are many other lines that should suit your preferences right now. NCL has a different niche, and, since it is the only cruise line fully embracing this approach, it's fans are glad it exists. None of us should expect every line to suit us; it really cannot happen. So, instead let there be different lines for different styles of people. Nobody is right or wrong, just different.

I understand how you feel, and I know many longtime cruisers agree with you. fortunately for you, there are many other lines that should suit your preferences right now. NCL has a different niche, and, since it is the only cruise line fully embracing this approach, it's fans are glad it exists. None of us should expect every line to suit us; it really cannot happen. So, instead let there be different lines for different styles of people. Nobody is right or wrong, just different.

I agree with you totally. I just feel NCL should make an attempt to satisfy both groups of cruisers. Section off a part of the MDR to accommodate both preferences in dining. The back part of the MDR would be a set time dining with the same wait staff and the forward part would be flexible for those who don't want a designated time or care about a wait staff that varies every night.

I agree with you totally. I just feel NCL should make an attempt to satisfy both groups of cruisers. Section off a part of the MDR to accommodate both preferences in dining. The back part of the MDR would be a set time dining with the same wait staff and the forward part would be flexible for those who don't want a designated time or care about a wait staff that varies every night.

They don't need to do that though.

The people that like that type of dining choose other lines and NCL has no problem filling their ships with people who enjoy the Freestyle concept.

It's working for them (maybe not for you...) but they aren't going to fix something that isn't broken.

That was my experience on X...however, the feel is far different from NCL. If food is that importand, X is the way to go. I sailed the Infinity and the meal we had in the surcharge restaurant was probably the best cruise meal I have ever eaten. I will remember that goat cheese souffle as long as I live ;)

For me personally, the atmosphere on NCL is a better fit and it's more important than the food...especially because NCL does offer the alternative dining venues. They can't compare to the one that Celebrity has...but we still prefer the overall cruise on NCL.

Lamb shank and New York strip everyday offerings? Geeze I love to cook, am considered a very good cook, we eat pretty much what we want and those are not everyday in our house. I think I will start eating at your place...

Nita

:) You'll like the food here.

Steaks from the MDR don't make the cut. Lamb shank works okay.

It's just dissappointing to see the menus get dumbed and dulled down. I'm certain that part of it is cost-cutting but part of it also a lowering of standards and expectations.

That flies in the face of Freestyle and if that is what you want the other mainstream lines offer this with their "anytime dining". If you want a set dining time on NCL it's simple- show up at the dining room the same time every night;).

It sounds easy, but it's not. The way NCL staffs their dining venues is that they scatter people all over. You can have lunch in the main dining room with a waiter and then have that same person wait on you at Le Bistro that night. In fact they were understaffed at Le Bistro the last time I was there, and our waitress was called down from the buffet! Their service is more fluid, so pinning down certain staff at a certain place and time every night would be difficult. What would they do in between set meal times? How many times would that dedicated server only have 1 table because the rest went to one of 7 specialty restaurants that night? I really believe with the number of dining choices, and the staff schedules it would not work on NCL.

Even the other cruiselines are moving away from set dining times. How many times do you hear "early is too early and late is too late."

On Celebrity, for instance, it is hard to get Select (their anytime dining) unless you book early because it's the first to get chosen.

I have no idea how long you have been cruising but Freestyle had nothing to do with Star taking over the company or how you came up with them as being rated the number 3 cruise line?

As for them changing the policy to offer traditional dining as well, that most likely will not happen. The lines that offer both have more and more opting for flex dining, I would guess within the next 10 years all mass marketed lines will do away with traditonal dining. Again, it has to do with change and progress. Some of us liked traditonal, some miss it, but many of the newer cruisers wouldn't think of anything but flex dining. You are right, a certain amount of service does suffer, but I think it is getting a little better. I really noticed it when freestyle first started.

Nita

As for them changing the policy to offer traditional dining as well, that most likely will not happen. The lines that offer both have more and more opting for flex dining, I would guess within the next 10 years all mass marketed lines will do away with traditonal dining. Again, it has to do with change and progress. Some of us liked traditonal, some miss it, but many of the newer cruisers wouldn't think of anything but flex dining. You are right, a certain amount of service does suffer, but I think it is getting a little better. I really noticed it when freestyle first started.

Nita

You are very right Nita, it all has to do with the demographics of society changing. You don't have to go back many years to remember long dresses being worn to weddings, Christmas parties, New Years parties and any other special parties or events. It wasn't that many years ago that you wouldn't even consider wearing jeans to a wedding or funeral. I remember being told jeans on a lady was inappropriate when traveling on an airplane etc.

As much as most people don't like change and some of us older folks may be set in our ways. Times are changing as they always do, like it or not, that is a fact of life.

it all has to do with the demographics of society changing. You don't have to go back many years to remember long dresses being worn to weddings, Christmas parties, New Years parties and any other special parties or events. It wasn't that many years ago that you wouldn't even consider wearing jeans to a wedding or funeral. I remember being told jeans on a lady was inappropriate when traveling on an airplane etc.

As much as most people don't like change and some of us older folks may be set in our ways. Times are changing as they always do, like it or not, that is a fact of life.

I am old too..an maybe old fashioned..because I too remember how it used to be..........re: appropriate attire and a pet peave of mine..the decline of manners and civility in our society..:(

Even the other cruiselines are moving away from set dining times. How many times do you hear "early is too early and late is too late."

On Celebrity, for instance, it is hard to get Select (their anytime dining) unless you book early because it's the first to get chosen.

On Princess it is the "fixed" dining that often sells out the quickest. Maybe a different demographic of traveller?

Princess offers (as far as I know they still do) two dining options---tradtional, where you dine at the same table/time each evening, and "anytime dining", which is more or less like NCL's freestyle. On some of our cruises with Princess, we wanted traditional dining, but were unable to get it (sold out by the time we booked), so we ended up with "anytime". On some ships, the dining room staff allowed us to make a standing reservation for the same time/same table for the entire cruise. For us it was nice, as we got to pick when we wanted to eat, and had the pleasure of having the same table staff take care of us each evening. To me, that is (was) one of the best parts of cruising.

Can you do that on NCL--make a standing reservation at one of the main (free) dining rooms for the same table/wait staff?

Archived