To Refund or Not To Refund - That is The Question...

Captain Carnival

No one likes to pay twice for a vacation. I agree with that. But some apparently are willing to pay 1.1 times for every vacation they take to avoid the chance of paying twice perhaps once in their lifetime.

I won't pay twice for my vacation......as far as the little money down the road.......it won't be missed nor even thought of. Just like the money I waste on beer:D

I won't pay twice for my vacation......as far as the little money down the road.......it won't be missed nor even thought of. Just like the money I waste on beer:D

Actually, I think you are paying twice, you're just spreading it out. But that is my point and I'm pretty sure you know that.

In fact, if you were only paying twice, then you could argue that you're ahead based on the time value of money. But given the numbers being tossed around, it seems to work out to between two and three times on average that you're paying.

That's why I suggest travellers think long and hard, when considering getting trip cancellation insurance for a run-of-the-mill vacation, about whether they will really come out ahead over the long run. My advice would be different for a once-in-a-lifetime vacation, or travellers who have a significantly higher than average risk of having to cancel their trip.

Actually, I think you are paying twice, you're just spreading it out. But that is my point and I'm pretty sure you know that.

In fact, if you were only paying twice, then you could argue that you're ahead based on the time value of money. But given the numbers being tossed around, it seems to work out to between two and three times on average that you're paying.

That's why I suggest travellers think long and hard, when considering getting trip cancellation insurance for a run-of-the-mill vacation, about whether they will really come out ahead over the long run. My advice would be different for a once-in-a-lifetime vacation, or travellers who have a significantly higher than average risk of having to cancel their trip.

I already had to cancel once......and reschedule and I would have been out $4,000 on that one.........I feel good about that. And that is what I know:D

However I do feel bad about paying triple for a beer on a cruise.....

...that occupies me as of late; so what do you think....?

Quick Synopsis: I booked (paid for) a cruise on the Inspiration for my parents 75th birthday for November 5th (last week). Two days before sailing my father was diagnosed with a (non life threatening) medical condition that the Doctor/Surgeon advised that he should not sail...so they didn't. Trip insurance you ask? NO!

I have subsequently spoken to and sent supporting medical documentation to my Carnival PVP seeking some kind of refund and/or future cruise credit.

Therein lies the question (and your expert opinion) for those who may have faced a similar experience - what are my chances?

Thanks!

I agree that the reason for insurance is to cover you in case something like this happens. But you never know.. if you raise enough hell and go high enough in the chain you'll get something back. My thoughts are this.. if the doctor states that he was able to sail prior to that doctors visit but then was diagnosed with whatever and it is recommend that he not travel on a boat with the date of that diagnoses is listed on the letter you should be fine. But make sure its on doctor letter head

I personally don't believe that cruise insurance is only for the elderly or health impaired.

For approximately 10% of your total cruise price, you can purchase insurance with "cancel for any reason," and "cancel for work" provisions. These insurance policies will typically pay 80-100% back to you for the above reasons. Pre-existing medical conditions are also covered under these policies, as well as travel delays due to weather or any other reason.

While some may balk at paying an additional 10% on top of the cruise fare, can you really predict the future; especially if you book far in advance? Any one of us could come down with an acute medical condition and have to cancel their cruise. A work related project may require a person to cancel their vacation plans or lose their job!

Insurance provides the security of knowing that in case something happens you are covered. If it doesn't, then just go on and enjoy your well deserved vacation.

I can't imagine a family paying $3500 to cruise and not be willing to pony up an additional $350 for the most inclusive insurance policy offered.

Is it 10-1 that you'll have to cancel your trip? If it is, it's a good buy, if it isn't, then obviously it's not.

It's not as atrocious as rental car insurance, though, where sometimes you're laying 3 or 4 to 1 odds (price of insurance vs. your deductable) that you'll smash up a car in the few days you'll have the car. Way to have some confidence in your driving abilities! :D

OP, quite honestly, I do not think your 'tone' in the last few posts have been fair to everyone here.

Thank you! I certainly didn't intend anything snippy in my reply, and didn't even participate in the debate.

OP asked what people thought were the chances of getting a refund. I answered. :confused:

... I certainly didn't intend anything snippy in my reply, and didn't even participate in the debate...

Sometimes it is not the intent just the end result.

I for one , as the OP, would rather just forget about it, and stay on topic without the need for any further hijacking (but sadly realize that some people cannot help themselves). :rolleyes:

Thanks! :)

Just as a general reminder, here is all I asked...

To Refund or Not To Refund - That is The Question...that occupies me as of late; so what do you think....?

Quick Synopsis: I booked (paid for) a cruise on the Inspiration for my parents 75th birthday for November 5th (last week). Two days before sailing my father was diagnosed with a (non life threatening) medical condition that the Doctor/Surgeon advised that he should not sail...so they didn't. Trip insurance you ask? NO!

I have subsequently spoken to and sent supporting medical documentation to my Carnival PVP seeking some kind of refund and/or future cruise credit.

Therein lies the question (and your expert opinion) for those who may have faced a similar experience - what are my chances?

Thanks!

I for one , as the OP, would rather just forget about it, and stay on topic without the need for any further hijacking (but sadly realize that some people cannot help themselves). :rolleyes:

To Refund or Not To Refund - That is The Question...that occupies me as of late; so what do you think....?

Thanks!

I've been on topic....

You did not answer why you think you deserve some sort of credit.

Again...you opted not to insure...and your father doesn't have a life threatening condition.

What makes you a "special case"?

I've been on topic....

You did not answer why you think you deserve some sort of credit.

Again...you opted not to insure...and your father doesn't have a life threatening condition.

What makes you a "special case"?

Hmmmm...Let's review...

First, the title (topic) of the thread is "...Refund or not to refund that is the question..." and not "Insure or not to insure" but that's where the discussion has led to.

Second, I never said, implied, stated, or otherwise inferred the I "deserve" some form of credit but only wanted to see "what my chances" were.

Third, that my Dad (and Mom) did not sail as to a medical condition, that now requires surgery, was a wise thing. Of course hindsight is always 20/20 so getting insurance may have been a good thing. I'm certainly no cruise virgin, and have never opted for insurance (or needed), so the point is somewhat moot.

Fourth, what makes me a special case? Nothing in particular, except of course that my 75 year old Mom thinks I am - LOL! :D

Thanks!

I don't think YOU understand what exactly 'hijacking' a thread is. If anyone were to hijack here - we would be talking about something completely UNRELATED to your original post - for instance - occupy wall street or something.

Discussing the insurance issue has absolutely EVERYTHING to do with your question. The easy answer is, as has been given at least a half dozen times in the last 5 pages, 'yes, a refund would most certainly have been obtained IF you had purchased INSURANCE. Otherwise, NO, you aren't going to get anything back from Carnival based on POLICY.'

I think everyone here feels bad that your dad got ill and now has to have surgery. Do we know what will happen to us in the future? Nope. But, as you said, hindsight is 20/20. But don't come on here, ask a question, get 85 responses that you don't like and accuse anyone of hijacking a thread when that, in fact, has NOT occurred.

Hope your dad gets to feeling better. Glad that your Mom still thinks you're special.

...I don't think YOU understand what exactly 'hijacking' a thread is. If anyone were to hijack here - we would be talking about something completely UNRELATED to your original post...

I see, so your definition of hijacking is related to the thread how? Thanks for playing! :rolleyes:

Like I said, some people really cannot help themselves, so let's move on - Thanks! :)

I don't think YOU understand what exactly 'hijacking' a thread is. If anyone were to hijack here - we would be talking about something completely UNRELATED to your original post - for instance - occupy wall street or something.

I see, so your definition of hijacking is related to the thread how? Thanks for playing! :rolleyes:

Like I said, some people really cannot help themselves, so let's move on - Thanks! :)

Next time you want to QUOTE me, quote the entire paragraph and not just the sentence that suits you.

And, I will not get into a 'pissing match' with you over the definition of hijacking. So unfortunate that you asked a question and you don't like the answers so you accuse everyone else of hijacking your precious thread.

So sad for you .... buh bye.

Oh, and here's the definition on the sticky in this Carnival forum:

Essentially what we see happening is many people are posting silly responses to legitimate questions. This is also known as hijacking, which is the act of trying to steer a web forum discussion thread off topic by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the subject at hand. This would also include -- but is not limited to -- making references to the original poster, or even to OTHER posters, that have nothing to do with the original subject.

and a link to it: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1207555

Oh, and here's the definition on the sticky in this Carnival forum:

Essentially what we see happening is many people are posting silly responses to legitimate questions. This is also known as hijacking, which is the act of trying to steer a web forum discussion thread off topic by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the subject at hand. This would also include -- but is not limited to -- making references to the original poster, or even to OTHER posters, that have nothing to do with the original subject.

and a link to it: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1207555

Not sure if any of the foregoing debate about hijacking was aimed at me. The original poster described a scenario about cancelling a cruise and hoping to get a refund. Another poster commented that all travellers should always get travel insurance. I pointed out what I see as the financial down-side of trip cancellation insurance. A discussion continued on that issue.

I don't think anyone "steered" the discussion anywhere. It was a gradual progression among related topics. As such the discussion was about related (not unrelated topics "that have nothing to do with the original subject").

I think the nature of my comments have all been well within the forum guidelines.

Not sure if any of the foregoing debate about hijacking was aimed at me. The original poster described a scenario about cancelling a cruise and hoping to get a refund. Another poster commented that all travellers should always get travel insurance. I pointed out what I see as the financial down-side of trip cancellation insurance. A discussion continued on that issue.

I don't think anyone "steered" the discussion anywhere. It was a gradual progression among related topics. As such the discussion was about related (not unrelated topics "that have nothing to do with the original subject").

I think the nature of my comments have all been well within the forum guidelines.

For what it's worth, I don't think anybody hijacked this precious thread!

The OP is just having a problem, in my opinion, with the fact that everyone pretty much disagrees with him/her. The basis of a 'refund', again in my opinion, is based on whether or not there was cancellation insurance in play in order to recoup the cost of the cruise.

I stongly disagree. Let's not confuse medical insurance with trip cancellation insurance. This discussion is about trip cancellation insurance only. Buying trip cancellation insurance is a bet. An average, healthy person is unlikely, on average, to come out ahead by routinely buying trip cancellation insurance. Insurance companies make money on trip cancellation insurance because the probability of you needing it is far lower than the cost they charge you.

People will anecdotally report that they've made a "profit" on trip cancellation insurance because they happened to buy it the one time they needed it, or they happened to have needed it more than once. But the vast majority of people will lose money on trip cancellation insurance. The average healthy person is far better off to put the equivalent of the insurance premium in a jar (or better, a separate interest-bearing bank account). If you do that every trip, every year for 10 years, even if you have to cancel a trip, you are probably something like 98% likely to wind up far ahead. And the average healthy person doesn't have to cancel a trip once every 10 years.

Don't forget, cancelling a trip doesn't cost you money. It just means that you don't get back the money you've already spent. If you've already spent it then you can afford it (and if you can't afford it, then the problem isn't that you had to cancel and you didn't get your money back, the problem is that you booked a trip that you can't afford). So not having trip cancellation insurance (unlike not having medical insurance) isn't something that can harm you financially. At worst, it's just a bummer that you didn't get to enjoy the trip you paid for. But there's no potential for financial harm.

Trip and medical insurance is soooo cheap to buy that it is crazy not too. You never know what can happen to you and I don't find it worth the risk to not purchase it.

No, that is not correct. You have car and home insurance because you are protecting yourself against the risk of future financial loss. In addition, you're protecting yourself against being financially ruined.

There is no future loss if you miss your cruise. All you "lose" is what you've already paid. An earlier poster mentioned that he "would be out $4,000" by missing a cruise. In fact, the poster was already out the money. You don't lose money by missing a vacation.

In addition, no one ever can possibly be financially ruined by not having trip cancellation insurance. Try that with a car or if someone is injured on your property. It's a completely different issue.

Seriously your pompous attitude is getting very old quick. If I pay 4,000 for a vaction that I am not able to take then I have LOST 4,000 or then I simply paid for what? What did that money go to exactly? How did I benefit from paying for my vacation that I did not take?

Trip and medical insurance is soooo cheap to buy that it is crazy not too. You never know what can happen to you and I don't find it worth the risk to not purchase it.

I hate to be anecdotal, but I know I'm many thousands of dollars ahead in not purchasing cancellation insurance. And from a statistical basis, I'm the rule, not the exception. Insurance companies make money, so we know they collect more than they pay out. I could definitely lose my next family vacation and still be ahead. If I lost the one after that, I'd probably be breaking even.

Medical insurance is a completely different issue. It is one thing to self-insure the limited risk of losing a couple grand in airfare and hotel or whatever. It is another thing to risk being financially ruined by a medical issue while travelling. In that sense, I agree that medical travel insurance is "cheap".

I hate to be anecdotal, but I know I'm many thousands of dollars ahead in not purchasing cancellation insurance. And from a statistical basis, I'm the rule, not the exception. Insurance companies make money, so we know they collect more than they pay out. I could definitely lose my next family vacation and still be ahead. If I lost the one after that, I'd probably be breaking even.

Medical insurance is a completely different issue. It is one thing to self-insure the limited risk of losing a couple grand in airfare and hotel or whatever. It is another thing to risk being financially ruined by a medical issue while travelling. In that sense, I agree that medical travel insurance is "cheap".

Obviously the insurance companies make money or they would not be in business, key word being a business!! Of course they make more than they pay out or we would be sol and not collect any money in a time of loss, this is a given. I don't know how much you think you should pay in trip insurance but it seems to me you think you pay a ton of money which is simply not true. Your redundancy is over bearing so I am done with this.

Fairly certain as a former corporate broker trainer that T. King is a licensed professional and knows of which he/she speaks. The information that is being given by T. King is spot on the variable is you and your comfort level. Whether you take travel insurance or not is a personal decision but rest assured the insurance companies are banking on that fear...

AS for the OP, I'm glad your Father will be ok but I don't think it would be fair for Carnival to issue you a refund.

Fairly certain as a former corporate broker trainer that T. King is a licensed professional and knows of which he/she speaks. The information that is being given by T. King is spot on the variable is you and your comfort level. Whether you take travel insurance or not is a personal decision but rest assured the insurance companies are banking on that fear...

Obviously......and nobody is disputing the fact that they are banking on this or that they are in the business for profit......

Especially with old people. It's just basic common sense with any form of travel/vacation.

As for the OP's question...no, I don't think you should get a refund. Like you, I'd be more than annoyed, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

• 1 month later...

Archived