To Refund or Not To Refund - That is The Question...

Captain Carnival

I purchase cruise insurance, so worth the money and inexpensive. Unfortunately I needed to use it this year since I was ill and unable to travel. After submitting appropriate documentation I was refunded our cruise fair within 3 wks.

---I know quite a few people that do and do not not purchase insurance, its a gamble for sure, unfortunately one of my friends did not purchase the insurance, her husband (no prior medical hx) had a stroke on the ship, medivac out and cost her thousands of dollars, her primary medical insurance did pay some after he was being treated in the states but they did not cover the transport or treatment received prior to arriving back in the USA.

Im sorry you didnt take out the insurance and there was an illness but its doubtful the cruise line will reimburse you.

Why should they refund you anything? You were offered the opportunity to buy insurance. You took your chances by refusing it.

They owe you nothing.

BTW - I carry medical and evacuation insurance but nothing else. However, I know that there is a possibility that I could loose the cost of the cruise if something bad happened before the cruise and unlike the OP, I accept that risk.

I would not come on the CC if I did have to cancel and whine that the cruise company should make a special case for me.

DON

OP-- I have seen cases here where people were able to put the $ towards a future cruise... but many more where they were just out of luck. Persistence may get you something, but its hard to tell. Im sorry your dad is ill and I hope he makes a speedy recovery. I would love to see what ccl says, i hope you will share you outcome with us.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
...that occupies me as of late; so what do you think....?

Quick Synopsis: I booked (paid for) a cruise on the Inspiration for my parents 75th birthday for November 5th (last week). Two days before sailing my father was diagnosed with a (non life threatening) medical condition that the Doctor/Surgeon advised that he should not sail...so they didn't. Trip insurance you ask? NO!

I have subsequently spoken to and sent supporting medical documentation to my Carnival PVP seeking some kind of refund and/or future cruise credit.

I admit it doesn't look good and I don't have any high hopes of getting anything back at all however therein lies the question (and your expert opinion) for those who may have faced a similar experience - what are my chances?

Thanks!

Here's the Answer: In a nutshell, and as expected, no refund but they did issue a 20% discount on the next booked cruise. A lesson learned and and a little discount - something better than nothing.

Oh yes, my Dad recovered from his illness so perhaps he will sail again with the 20% discount going towards insurance! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

ShotoJuku, I would "highly" recommend insurance ANYTIME you are cruising. The reason I say this........I "know" by experience. In my 20 years of cruising, there have been at least '3" times when the insurance came in handy.

Now if I'm just flying and NOT cruising, I "do not" get insurance.

Archived