Airport Dangerous in Lima

HEINER

Our plane get's in to Lima at 12:05AM our flight leaves Lima to Cusco at 5:10AM. We are just going to wait at the airport so how dangerous is this airport? I keep reading that the Lima airport is very dangerous.

Thanks for any information you can give.

Betty:)

I'd heard that too but had no problems whatsoever and I was a solo female.

You need to be careful of your possessions before you go through security, but you can say that of many places. Once through security, it just felt like any other airport.

Our plane get's in to Lima at 12:05AM our flight leaves Lima to Cusco at 5:10AM. We are just going to wait at the airport so how dangerous is this airport? I keep reading that the Lima airport is very dangerous.

Thanks for any information you can give.

Betty:)

The area outside the airport (ie the surrounding town) is not particularly safe. The airport itself isn't a problem. The international airport and domestic airport terminals are part of the same complex. Have flown into and out of both without any problem. Lima is a large, modern airport. As with any airport, don't leave your belongings unattended.

INSIDE is fine. I am at that airport at least 6 times per year (solo female on business). I DO NOT leave unless I have a car and driver that is willing to come inside to meet me.

Don't go wandering around OUTSIDE the airport. That is when it becomes very, very dangerous. Of course, inside watch your stuff. But there will be plenty of people sleeping in the airport, as the planes from the USA primarily arrive (and depart) late at night and the Cusco flights start at 5AM. Everyone will be congregated on the 2nd floor around the food court. You will see a lot of backpacker kids stretched out across their luggage (they even make special pads to lay on top of a 26" checked and 22" roller so you can have a "bed"). If you really want someplace to relax for those few hours, you can purchase lounge passes. Two lounges open 24 hours. Both in the international concourse airside. You will have to change terminals to get to your Cusco flight, so may be a waste of time and money to buy a lounge pass. And unless you have ONE ticket from the USA to Cusco, you will have to go through Immigration and Customs in the international terminal, then RECHECK yourself and your luggage in the domestic terminal for your flight to Cusco.

Read through this: http://www.sleepinginairports.net/casa/lima.htm

Be thankful you are doing this now and not 5-6 years ago. They shut off the water in Lima at night. Unless a hotel had its own water supply, there was no water. And that is the way it used to be at the airport. There were only a couple of places to even get a glass of water (3 soles-about $1.00) and NO WATER in the bathrooms.

You WON'T be alone at the airport. Enjoy!!!

If you don't want to buy a lounge pass, the 4-D restaurant (at the top of the escalators at the domestic end of the terminal) has booths with benches and they will allow people to use them for sleeping if you buy something to eat or drink.

Archived