Beware of Luggage Express Program

Crystalbast

I just came from from sailing on Carnival Valor Sunday and used their Luggage Express program (known as Airport Bags Plus on the Internet). I have used the program before and when it works it is great, when it doesn't it is an absolute disaster.

As you can guess, my experience this time was not a good one. When I arrived in OKC, sans luggage, the lady at Continental baggage claimed checked their records and they did not show that I had any luggage checked in (I saw the screen myself). I filed a notice of lost luggage with Continental.

I called Carnival the next morning and Guest Serivces referred me to the Luggage Express people (not a toll free call by the way). They were to email their Miami Port agent to find out what happened and call me back. The second call went the same way. A total of four calls later (now 48 hours after I got off of the ship, they finally heard from their port guy. He does not show that a airport tag was printed off and put on my luggage. Now they are trying to blame Carnival. They tell me to let Continental find it (how they will without them putting a Continental check in tag on the luggage I don't know).

I have called everyone I can think of: Carnival Guest Service, Continental, Luggage Express and even emailed the Miami Airport Lost and Found the the Corporate HQ for Luggage Express. The last lady that I talked to at Continental is trying to call someone she knows at Carnival to get a phone number for the pier (at least she is trying to help).

It dawned on me (too late) that when you participate in this program you are doing it on a wing and a prayer that things will work out. I have found out (again too late) that when it does not work out it is an absolute nightmare. Unlike when you check your luggage in by yourself at the airline where you get a checked bag sticker with identifying info, you don't get the same comfort level with Luggage Expree. The only proof I have that I participated in the program is that I have the envelope that my valet sticker and bording passes came it, I kept the boarding passes and printed new ones at the airport when I changed my seat assignment, and the charge on my sign and sail card.

If you do choose to participate in the program I would seriously recommend that you still go to the check in counter of your airline and ask them to confirm that your luggage has actually been checked in. I can tell you that I will never use the program again.

Celebrity does offer it at some ports. Every time I have used it I received the actual baggage check tag just as if I had checked in my luggage at the airport -- complete with barcode, destination city, flight numbers, exactly as I would have received at the airport. I'm surprised that you did not, and hope that you can find your suitcases soon.

Have used this program 4 times and it is the best thing available. Used is in Ft Lauderdale and Seattle. You don't have to worry about carrying off your heavy luggage. You get off when you want just like getting off the bus. You only have your carry-on. You get your luggage when you get to your destination. It's THE BEST!!!!!!

We have previously posted warnings about any of these luggage direct programs (there are several different companies doing this with various cruise lines). Our warning was simple. With these kind of programs you put your luggage outside your cabin and in theory do not see it again until you get to your final airport. Of course you do pay for this service. The problem (and our previous warnings) are that if something goes awry you must deal with at least 3 different entities...none of whom will take responsibility. There is no way for you to know if the cruise line messed-up, the port workers, the luggage direct company or the airlines.

Most of the time things will work-out fine...but when it goes wrong your luggage will probably be long gone forever without you having a clue who is responsible.

Hank

Archived